Pimpstick's sprite thread

Pimpstick

Stick to simple splices for now before you attempt customs. I recommend looking at one of the tutorials in this forum because they all need a lot of work. The third girl has a lot of pillow-shading for instance and the hair is very flat on all of these. I can't really help you with the battle sprites but the falcoknight looks alright.

interesting idea to have the pirate wield swords. But if I were you I'd go back and give the pirate his torso back. Because those white lines seem out of place. The swords to me look a tad like a children's toy! try using some other swords' shading as a reference to give it a more scary look.

As for the lancer dude, he's missing his outline on our left. So try referencing the black outlines on other sprites, same goes for the dude with the cane. try those improvements for now and we'll see how it looks

those battle sprites

omg plz

The soldier looks pretty bad, tbh. It's kind of...taller than the horse. The Forth Battle sprite too. The Pirate sword thing is iffy, because the swords' shading is kind of wonky, and so there you go.

Edited by Mercenary Lord

its better, but the outlines are still off. observe how the pirate sprite's outline is that blackish/purple color. You should outline your customs like that. I'm still trying to figure out if the lancer is wearing a helmet or if its hair. you should reference the soldier helmet if its the former, if its the latter, then you should turn the hair to an angle. because its not symmetrical to his head. (his head is turned slightly, but his hair/helm isn't.

That splice is pretty good. There's a line of white on his chin, though.

As for the battle sprites, there's a lack of colors right now. There are 15 + background available, so take advantage of those in your customs. Observe existing sprites and copy those stances (the sword guy is standing very awkwardly), and remember to pick a light source and shade accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Splice first.

Seriously. I mean, he's better than the others because he looks human, but that really is something you'd hope to have down every time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

didn't the pirate anim have a motion blur at the beginning?

and no one will be able to give you any thoughts because frankly you didn't do anything aside from changing the wep.

so yeah

I did some digging around in various sprite rips. The original pirate didn't have a blur from prepare to attack or from idle to prepare. The only blur that was there was the slash and the right arm when he is jumping at the enemy.

Edited by Pimpstick

The sword in his right hand in the strike frame looks like a different shape than the standing frame's sword. I'd also make his left hand sword strike deeper into his target's body, as it's not nearly as intrusive as most other striking frames.