Do you have any unpopular opinions about Awakening?

I think Walhart is up there as one of the greatest Fe antagonists, not including his arc. He's the only enemy character in the game I find interesting, and I feel he's the only story character who isn't stupidly shoehorned (and subsequently, completely ruined) in the extra chapters, like, I don't know, Emmeryn

Edited by Constable Reggie

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stahl/Olivia almost always get to A in my playthrough, along with fellow bros Kellam, Donnel and Silvia (Avatar). I haven't paired them yet - working on that - but I have seen the S support, and it's definitely one of the more adorable ones.

I love Brady so much, it's not funny. He didn't need a super-tragic backstory to go with the other children, he's actually fairly well-adjusted. But that A-support with his father... Definitely wins the award for "best second generation male". And his supports with Owain and Inigo are amazing.

If I didn't like Stahl/Cherche as well, I'd always pair Stahl/Olivia.

(And I also don't see the big deal about Stahl/Cordelia. It was alright, but it's not as amazing as people made it out to be.)

His A support with whoever his father is really well-done. He just didn't want to be forgotten when the Brady of the current era was born, because he connected really well with his father. I'd say Brady is a pretty relatable guy.

I haven't supported Brady with Inigo, but I have supported him with Owain and Yarne. They're both hilarious.

@Thor/Lumi: 'Tis a shame. And his growths are pretty mediorcre, too.

Edited by Zeem

I think Walhart is up there as one of the greatest Fe antagonists, not including his arc. He's the only enemy character in the game I find interesting, and I feel he's the only story character who isn't stupidly shoehorned (and subsequently, completely ruined) in the extra chapters, like, I don't know, Emmeryn

Mm-hm.

When you dramatically fall off a cliff to ensure peace and get out of your responsibilities as exalt, you're supposed to STAY that way, silly girl.

If I didn't like Stahl/Cherche as well, I'd always pair Stahl/Olivia.

(And I also don't see the big deal about Stahl/Cordelia. It was alright, but it's not as amazing as people made it out to be.)

His A support with whoever his father is really well-done. He just didn't want to be forgotten when the Brady of the current era was born, because he connected really well with his father. I'd say Brady is a pretty relatable guy.

I haven't supported Brady with Inigo, but I have supported him with Owain and Yarne. They're both hilarious.

@Thor/Lumi: 'Tis a shame. And his growths are pretty mediorcre, too.

Neither do I. I mean, it was alright, but she has far better supports out there.

Oh, I love Stahl/Cherche. It's my third-favorite Cherche pairing, no contest.

Yes, he is! IS did an amazing job on the male characters in this game. I think I've got a pretty skewered ratio on favorite male characters to favorite female characters, but Cherche and Maribelle can practically carry the guy's weight on their own.

My only question is why they didn't put this much work into the actual plot.

Another confession: I actually played this game for the plot. Yes, I'm an idiot.

It is a shame how some of the imo best-written characters are the worst to play in my playstyle. If only Brady started with C staves and didn't come from Maribelle (I don't dislike maribelle, it's just that pairing healers takes far too long for me) he could at least be a third string physic user. Alas.

Brady/Lucina is another great pairing. It and Yarne/Lucina are definitely my preferred pairs for Lucina because of how awesome they are.

Oh yeah, I guess here's another random opinion: the best Gen II characters are Cynthia (duh), Brady, Yarne, and Laurent.

Oh, and Brady's also my favorite male character in the game.

@Frosty: It's funny how the more 'out there' pairings are my favorite in Gen I. Stahl/Olivia and Lon'qu/Maribelle come to mind.

...Stahl/Olivia, Lon'qu/Maribelle and Virion/Lissa are the exact pairings I'm doing in my current (aka 2nd) playthrough. What is this sorcery?!

*I don't care about shipping at all

*I can't be bothered to do any postgame or DLC because grinding and making perfect characters is boring

*Avatar's ability to trivialize hard mode and lunatic really bothers me

*The above three things makes Awakening too dull for me to play or have an interest in anymore

Despite that I enjoy the game for some odd reason, I hate quite a few things about it: like the map design, Avatar, Lunatic+, Pair up too OP and neccesary, trivializers like Nosferatu, the game not being teamwork heavy despite the pair up system, the game being terribad for LTC, the characters being bland, the story being weird, weird design choices like Rescue being buyable, the lack of different goals like the MUST have seize and defend, the plethora of stupid rush boss missions and I'm sure theres other things. The worst offender being the story, though Im sure thats the least unpopular out of those.

EDIT: Another unpopular opinion: I've come to hate Sumia because of how overrated she is and I loooove Cordelia.

Edited by Peekayell

1. I actually really like bows in Awakening.

2. Female avatar doesn't exist in my headcanon, so no Chrom x female avatar.

3. I don't think Armsthrift is such a big deal.

4. In both of my playthroughs I felt no emotion for Emmeryn's death. I really don't think they developed enough emotional attachment for her character leading up to it - and I love getting sucked into stories.

5. I never got many of Noire's supports so in my own little world, Tharja never did anything horrible to her. Yeah, I'm in denial.

Let's see:

Best Maps in the series. No really. I'm being quite serious. They're not unlike FE4's at all-- and FE4's maps were, without a doubt my favorites. These just have less sit there moving units to get ready for the next engagement.

Gerome/Lucina: WORST COUPLE IN THE SERIES SAVE FOR DONNEL/CORDELIA I prefer Arvis/Deirdre, TBQH. (Note, I very much hate Arvis/Deirdre.) (Also, it's kinda sad that Awakening has two of my most hated pairs in the series)

Priam is literally one of the best things that has happened to the series. Why? He sank Ike/Soren. Enough said.

Lunatic+/Casual is amazing. (That said, I play it as though it is 50 Trial Maps)

Ricken is an awesome unit. Luna/TF/Aggressor/Aegis if he's up front. TF/Aggressor/Hit+20/DG+ for support. Also, Arms Scroll + Him = broke L+ Ch5 in half.

The Post NA Release "Meta" is terrible. Endgame's theory on Min/Max is FAR superior.

Weight Removal is a Great thing. Weight is pretty much the worst feature in FE, and unbalanced the games. Yes, this change came with FE12, but it's still relevant.

Chrom's Ending >> MU's. MU's Ending has a "Have your Cake, Eat it too" stinger, but removing that, and I'd not see a reason to go with MU's ending (-ever-), as Straw Vulcan is always wrong- and there's better ways to deal with Grima than sacrificing MU. (Bonus points in that Grima killed who in the actual game? (Realize he didn't exactly do a whole lot in Lucina's time either- the big threat came from Validar/the Grimleal and the fact that FE armies suddenly go to suck if their Lord dies)? Oh, his own cult. And also, Loptyr where? Oh, yeah, it's not like Saias wasn't around or anything... so putting down threat like that can be permanent even without the kill.)

Second Gen Morgan + Sibling is a complete waste. It is.
Armsthrift is literally the worst skill in the game. Slow Burn is better.

Don't Speak Her Name is not that good of a song. ...It isn't.

No, because I like Frederick enough to where I'm not going to put him through the pain of permanently being second-best. I'd rather pair him with someone that loves him and him only, and give Cordelia a man so amazing her Catria homage goes straight out the window. Virion wasn't available, he's Sully's.

And I don't think Cordelia is putting Frederick at second best at all. I just don't see it and can't figure out why anyone does at all. But that's just me. xP

And I guess another unpopular opinion of mine is that FrederickxCordelia is a cute and sweet pairing and the only bad part of their support is Cordelia having whined about Chrom during their picnic.

Stahl is my other choice for her though, cause equally cute and sweet support and Freddy always gets my female Avatar, obviously.

Edited by Anacybele

- I love Nowi, but hate her outfit so I always end up reclassing her.

-Lunatic and Lunatic + are boring.

-I play on casual mode because I don't get the point of playing on Classic just to reset if a character dies.

-I completely hate how Tharja says Libra is her second favourite person behind the Avatar when they get married.

-I actually like Chrom.

-I pretend my avatar is actually a self-insert but I pretend what happened at Flames on the Blue never happened because that was heartless and terrible.

-Nah looks the best with violet hair.

Edited by FEUltiX+

Chrom can die in a fire. Sigurd, Leaf and Lucina are still my favorite lords.

I hate both Sumia and Cordelia. They're yandere for a guy whose personality could be compared to a rock.

I prefer Tharja over said pegasus knights. At least she's honest about her yandere-ness.

I forget Gregor exists.

And I hate Roy.

-I liked the plot

-I liked the characters

-I liked the game

That's pretty much the unpopular opinions I have with the game.

Don't Speak Her Name is not that good of a song. ...It isn't.

IKR? Id(purpose) Master Race.

Edited by 1% critted

I get 1% critted in the 200th Turn This game sucks

You forgot the "I like Lunatic+

RIGHT

I like Lunatic+, except for chapters 1-3, chapter 12,19 and any other chapter where you are forced to kill 20 enemies in a turn if you wish to survive.

Map design is fine. Issues are overexaggerated (omgnochokepoints!!!) and are mostly artifacts of other gameplay mechanics.

Character balance is fine because everyone is easily usable and can be useful. Some will appeal more to certain player populations, while some appeal to others.

The cast and dialogue are the most heartwarming of the FE games.

Edited by XeKr

-I wonder how the game would have been if instead of Valm and then Grima, you played as Lucina and Co. in the future with Grima. The last arc could have been the actual time travel to the future. I know the pairing system would end up being tweaked (like if say, Chrom and and various women all marry villagers or whoever).

-Also, I wonder if Valm wouldn't have been better off as a game to itself.

-Alternatively, have Valm be the first arc, with the Grimleal seen in several points.

-The antagonists really weren't all that fearsome or menacing. Especially compared to past FEs.

-The Avatar really comes off as somebody at IS not really being sure what or she wanted to do with him/her. Is the Avatar supposed a "blank state" for the player? If so, then that doesn't go all that well with a game like FE. He/She isn't? Well, go look at his/her dialogue

-The character designs of the women aren't really that much more sexualized or less "realistic" than certain past FEs. This is Fire Emblem, not actual medieval history.

-This is game not the most "unbalanced" Fire Emblem.

-Chrom really isn't that much worse than Ike as a character.

-Until this game gets a followup, then none of the pairings you can do are confirmed.

-Except for Maribelle, she's Chrom's confirmed wife.

Edited by The Void

1. Tharja, Cordelia and Nah are terrible. Nah, not as much, but still.

2. I feel as if postgame content is very lacking without DLC.

3. Breaker skills are awesome.

4. Skills were managed badly in this game, since certain classes such as Dark Flier have great ones while classes like Bow Knight don't.

5. Skill itself is a very good stat and doesn't need modifying.

6. Some characters retained the awesome development and backstory that characters in previous games had, unlike what most people think. Only about half the characters are bland and generic.

I actually like the art style. The units' armor are more distinct and stylized and stuff.

Is that unpopular opinion? For me the overall unit design, except female unit and Knight is really good aesthetically. They look like build from metal, and have some uniformity albeit being stylized for the unique models.

Yeah, I like the style too, but not the fanservice and absolute zone.

Edited by Shengar

Am I the only person amused by how many people are posting rather popular opinions as though they're unpopular? Is that an unpopular opinion?

Hmmm...

-I'd be fine with Pair Up returning without too many tweaks.

-Nuns with axes aren't cool.

-I like the Bow Knight class in this game (no idea whether many other people do or not, too).

-Ike/Soren. Wait, wrong game. Priam's existence totally doesn't sink it though.

-Shallow/gimmicky characterization doesn't ALWAYS mean bad. Just usually.

-I don't like Sully. I realize there are other people who dislike her too, though. Not sure how popular/unpopular she is in NA, tbh.

-I don't think this game is very oversexualizing or sexist to females when it comes to costuming.

-Generic male Dark Mage/Sorc outfits FTW. Is this an unpopular opinion? No idea.