Which Lucina is better?

Who is the better partner for Chrom?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better partner for Chrom?

• Olivia
    • Sumia
  2. 2. Who is the better parent for Lucina?

• Olivia
    • Sumia

For the purposes of this thread lets assume the only possible mothers for Lucina are Olivia and Sumia.

Olivia offers the Myrmidon tree which admittedly has some amazing skills (Vantage, Astra and Swordfaire). This thrusts Lucina into a very offensive unit with a high survivability thanks to Aether and Vantage.

Sumia on the other hand offers up Knight classes (Great Knight and General) allowing Lucina to work as highly durable unit thanks to a combination of Aether, Rightful King, Pavise and Aegis.

I would also like to know which pairing is better for Chrom, after all you'll want your S level partner to be as powerful as possible so Chrom doesn't die in game.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In game or postgame?

In game, I'd say Sumia is among the best, while Olivia is easily the worst.

Postgame, I'd say Olivia is easily the best, while Sumia is among the worst.

Voting Sumia for now, because in game > Post game.

Edited by Tables

Hard to say. They both provide something very different for Lucina. Olivia is more offensive based when it comes to skills Lucina can get (Astra, etc) while Sumia is more defensive based for skills (Pavise + Aegis + Rightful King = fun). Voting Olivia because I prefer offense.

Edited by Virion

Impossible to answer this without knowing the parameters. Olivia is all kinds of shit as a wife/mother if you're only talking about the main story, and if you're going as a reasonably steady pace. If the game is over after Grima takes a digger, Sumia wins both categories easily.

Hard to say. They both provide something very different for Lucina. Olivia is more offensive based when it comes to skills Lucina can get (Astra, etc) while Sumia is more defensive based for skills (Pavise + Aegis + Rightful King = fun). Voting Olivia because I prefer offense.

The thing is though in Lucinas case I feel the best offence for Lucina is defence. Cliche I know but with all that bulk you can afford to be really brutish with her and just throw her at the enemy like a giant wrecking ball.

Of course with Vantage, 2 offensive skills and rightful king most units won't even get a chance to strike. I just worry about the ones that can.

In an nogrind environment, Sumia will be able to provide Lucina with bases and make her immediately usable. Olivia will screw her out of those bases. Sumia wins.

As far as being Chrom's partner goes, Sumia also gives better bonuses, or Chrom can take the rear and provide bonuses to Sumia. Olivia gives measly support bonuses and doesn't benefit from having a Chrom in the back either.

Also if you /really/ wanted defense on Lucina especially during the main game, just go with MU. You know, the one that can go +Def and give her really good bases on defense and also give veteran so she can snowball defense faster.

Edited by Thor Odinson

The thing is though in Lucinas case I feel the best offence for Lucina is defence. Cliche I know but with all that bulk you can afford to be really brutish with her and just throw her at the enemy like a giant wrecking ball.

Any unit is capable of this, even a poopstain like Ricken. It's just a matter of getting the requisite stats.

Which is why I voted Sumia for both - I think that Chrom/Olivia is rather underwhelming for forcing Chrom to not support any female aside from Lissa before Valm, AND because Olivia's bases completely suck, which hurts Lucina's usability quite a bit.

Edited by Levant Fortner

In an nogrind environment, Sumia will be able to provide Lucina with bases and make her immediately usable. Olivia will screw her out of those bases. Sumia wins.

Thats actually an incredibly good point.

I feel like I can sum it up as:

Sumia is the better partner for Chrom.

Olivia makes a better Lucina for a postgame/in game grind unit.

Sumia makes a Lucina which is useable as soon as you recruit her.

Id pick Sumia every time.

As far as being Chrom's partner goes, Sumia also gives better bonuses, or Chrom can take the rear and provide bonuses to Sumia. Olivia gives measly support bonuses and doesn't benefit from having a Chrom in the back either.

Also if you /really/ wanted defense on Lucina especially during the main game, just go with MU. You know, the one that can go +Def and give her really good bases on defense and also give veteran so she can snowball defense faster.

Indeed - I also think that an Olivia-mothered Lucina isn't even that much better than a Sumia-mothered Lucina.

And besides, everyone knows Olivia's best partner is Rey anyways

Edited by Levant Fortner

Indeed - I also think that an Olivia-mothered Lucina isn't even that much better than a Sumia-mothered Lucina.

And besides, everyone knows Olivia's best partner is Rey anyways

If Olivia MU gave a significant strength advantage, I might've considered her. As it stands 2 points in caps and awful bases doesn't constitute a strength advantage at all. I wish Chrom could just marry Cherche or Panne or something, I like my Lucina to have very high strength (46 strength by chapter 20 as a paladin is what I'm used to, MU genes snowball fast) but only a +Str MU is capable of giving that to her. Maaaaybe +Skl but who even does that

Edited by Thor Odinson

If Olivia MU gave a significant strength advantage, I might've considered her. As it stands 2 points in caps and awful bases doesn't constitute a strength advantage at all. I wish Chrom could just marry Cherche or Panne or something, I like my Lucina to have very high strength (46 strength by chapter 20 as a paladin is what I'm used to, MU genes snowball fast) but only a +Str MU is capable of giving that to her. Maaaaybe +Skl but who even does that

Indeed - and having two children in the unfortunate position of being primarily dependent on their father for their stats because their mother has lackluster bases sucks big time - particularly when one has That One Level for a paralogue, to boot!

Just a note, Olivia does give the skill Luck +4. How much of a difference that makes, I'm not sure cause luck is the one stat that I find to do nothing for me

I say... no difference, because Lucina's luck growth is good no matter her mother.

Just a note, Olivia does give the skill Luck +4. How much of a difference that makes, I'm not sure cause luck is the one stat that I find to do nothing for me

doesn't make a difference, 2 hit/avoid and lolcritavoid don't do much

It's entirely irrelevant and among the worst skills in the game. It's not even worth the hassle passing it to Olivia!Lucina if you have something better to pass.

Olivia's better when factoring in postgame and parentage of Lucina.

Sumia's only better when it's a no-grind run for obvious reasons. Pavise+Aegis are some of the most overrated skill sets in this game and it wastes giving Luna to another child.

Sumia's only better when it's a no-grind run for obvious reasons. Pavise+Aegis are some of the most overrated skill sets in this game and it wastes giving Luna to another child.

Maybe, but I still think that Olivia!Lucina's not that much better than Sumia!Lucina. And I do not agree on PavGis being overrated.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Is this a joke question, or do you just have signatures turned off?

It was a joke question :L

Do you actually have units powerful enough to just throw around in late game Lunatic+?

I disagree, I love the graphical effect :P

I gotta admit though, without rightful king I probably wouldn't be using them.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

As much as I'm a shipper for Olivia as a mother, Sumia also gives the cleric class, which with enough grinding, can give her Miracle and when paired with Rightful King, she has a larger chance of not dying