I need some help with Chemistry

Zanarkin

According to the mechanism below, what is the correct expression for the rate of consumption of A? In the mechanism, M is a molecule that collides with A and A* is a highly-energized form of A.

Step 1 (reversible): A + M <---> A* + M rate constants k1 and k-1

Step 2 (reversible): A* <---> C rate constants k2, k-2

The answer is

Rate = (k1 k2[A] [M] - k-1k-2[C] [M] ) / (k-1[M] + k2)

My question is, how do you approach these problems? I haven't been able to figure out a way to do these at all. I have been looking at the textbook and the notes but it just seems like a jumbled mess. I need help.

Edited by SlayerX

Well that's what I meant by Chem 2. Second semester General Chemistry.

I remember doing rate laws but I don't remember how to go about this. I should find my notes from this course.

I literally JUST finished doing this kind of stuff last quarter, but I think we had some more information in our questions about which one is the slow/fast step. I actually just tried working at it a bit, and I'm pretty sure there's substitution for the intermediate, A*. Also, I can't be sure, but the fact that there's a subtraction sign in (k1 k2[A] [M] - k-1k-2[C] [M] ) reminds me strongly of Steady State Approximation. If you guys haven't done either of those concepts at all, just ignore me. It's not like my chem grades are good at all, SO. But I tried really hard in that class. Hopefully something in this will give you an idea? :)

I literally JUST finished doing this kind of stuff last quarter, but I think we had some more information in our questions about which one is the slow/fast step. I actually just tried working at it a bit, and I'm pretty sure there's substitution for the intermediate, A*. Also, I can't be sure, but the fact that there's a subtraction sign in (k1 k2[A] [M] - k-1k-2[C] [M] ) reminds me strongly of Steady State Approximation. If you guys haven't done either of those concepts at all, just ignore me. It's not like my chem grades are good at all, SO. But I tried really hard in that class. Hopefully something in this will give you an idea? :)

Yes we did see that. This is for a test tomorrow and I have no idea what to do in these situations... Kinda glad most questions will be about ice tables though (or so i hope).

I managed to find the Steady State approximation for [A*] following some of the notes for another example.

I got

[A*] = (k1[A][M])/(k-1[M] + k2).

However i do not understand where that + comes from in that denominator (remember i followed the notes, but they just show steps no explanations). I also have no dea where to go from here.

Edited by SlayerX

Ah, i just figured out where that + comes from. The consumption of [A*] is not just k2[A*], you have to add the reverse from step 1 which is k-1[A*][M]. Well that took a while :/... Now where the second art comes from... I'll update here if i figure it out.

hopefully this gets to you in time for your exam. Um, I don't see the see to make the pseudo steady-state approximation. You don't even have to do any calculus. The three equations of interest are:

d[C]/dt + d[A]/dt = 0 (mass conservation)

d[A]/dt = k_{-1}[A*][M] - k_{1}[A][M]

d[C]/dt = k_{2}[A*] - k_{-2}[C]

The strategy is to simply eliminate [A*] from the set of three equations, giving you an expression for d[A]/dt in terms of [A], [C], and [M]. It's just a bunch of algebra.