[SSTC] Round 3: Villains (FINISHED)

Teapot

(copied from original post by Astelaine)

:KnollRoll: Super Spriting Team Challenge! :KnollRoll:

How it Works
Interested parties respond to this thread with a confirmation that they will participate. After the enrollment period, participants can either choose their own partners amongst themselves, or else will be randomly matched with a partner. From there, the teammates have one month to make a sprite (either a portrait, battle sprite/battle animation, or map) together based on the given theme. All finished entries should be PMed to jealousy. At the end of the month, we'll have a big showcase thread where we reveal and discuss the entries.

If there happens to be an odd number of participants, I'll sit out in order to ensure that everyone has a partner.

What is the point of this?
The point is for spriters here on SF to meet new people and work with spriters they wouldn't normally imagine working with. By collaborating, we can make new friendships, learn new techniques from each other, and hopefully create something badass that combines each participant's strengths. And of course, have some silly fun. If you go into this looking to win or prove that you're the best, you are doing it wrong!

What if I get paired with someone I dislike/someone I think is bad?
Deal with it! Don't enter if you're going to be picky about your partner. Like I said, the aim of this challenge isn't to win. People with a great disparity in skill might end up matched together, and that's okay. Experienced spriters have a lot to offer newcomers, and even newcomers have unique talents they bring to the table in terms of ideas, designs, or just a fresh set of eyeballs to catch errors with.

That said, if you have an arch-nemesis out there you absolutely can't work with, send me a PM and I'll make sure you aren't paired together.

How should we work together? Who should do what?
There's no right or wrong way. Part of the challenge is to decide on a process that works for both people involved. It's up to you to figure out how you handle it!

What if my partner drops out or we break up as a team?
If you can't continue working together for any reason, you are allowed to complete your project on your own and submit it independently.

Will there be voting?
Nope! The challenge is cooperative, not competitive. We'll raffle off the choice of the next round's theme to a team with a completed entry.

Other assorted rules

• GBA-style Fire Emblem portraits, battle sprites/animations, and map tilesets/dimensions, only.
    • For portraits and battle sprites:16 color limit (15 + 1 background color.) FE7 or FE8-style colors are preferred, but this isn't super-strict. If you do a half or full body, you may use as many colors as you wish.
    • For maps: custom tilesets and colors may be used, provided they stay within the 75 color limit (75 + 5 bg).
  • According to their desire, teams may splice, full custom, or anything in between; however, entries must be new work. You may not edit from previously finished or existing WIPs from other contests or personal galleries.
  • To keep the challenge approachable for people of all skill levels, all portaits must be roughly hack-box sized (ie, must fit within a 96x80 box, or something close to it.) This isn't strict - you can go outside those dimensions - but no full or half-bodies, please.
  • Only one entry will be permitted per team, unless the team has chosen to split up and submit independently.

==========================================

Challenge Theme

Villain

For portraits
Make a villain/enemy boss mug.

It can be a remake of an existing character (whether from FE or another fandom),

or an original character of your own design.

For battle sprites
Make a villain/enemy boss unique battle sprite (animation optional).

Must be facing right, as if they were fighting against the ally units. (courtesy of The Merc)

For maps

Make a major boss map.

==========================================

Due Date: AUGUST 20th

[spoiler=CURRENT PARTICIPANTS]NAME [ timezone | contact | preferences ]

{ P O R T R A I T S }

Kon [ EST | Skype | fairly flexible; some weekend complications ]

Hiruma Yoichi [ UST +8:00 | Skype/PM | prefers a partner they know ]

risingSolaris [ ? | Skype | absent in August; no preference ]

Ponih [ GMT +1 | Skype | very available ]

Amelia [ MDT | Skype | available most of the time ]

Boney [ EST | Skype | no preference ]

Mew [ ? | ? ]

Lumi [ ? | ? ]

{ B A T T L E . S P R I T E S }

GhastStation [ AST | Skype | sometimes mornings, most nights ]

{ M A P S }

Kitty of Time [ EST | Skype/bird calls | usually online ]

Primefusion [ PST | pref PM to Skype | most available during morning/early afternoon; no prf ]

Agro [ Aus? | ? ]

{ F L E X I B L E } - available for more than one category; preference in red

The Merc [ EST | Skype | always available ] - mugs + battle sprites

fuzz94 [ EST | Skype | always available ] - mugs + battle sprites

Lenh [ CST | flexible; AIM/Skype/Livestream | prefers starting early ] - mugs + battle sprites

AthenaWyrm [ PDT | Skype ] - mugs + battle sprites

Yoshi [ EST | AIM/Skype | always available ] - mugs + battle sprites

ShinyPichu [ MST | Skype ] - mugs + maps

{low priority} Flan-chan [ PST/CST | Skype/PM | usually available; procrastinator ] - mugs + battle sprites

CURRENT PAIRS

Portraits

Merc + Nih

Lumi + Amelia

Mew + Acha

Boney + risingSolaris

fuzz94 + Kon

Lenh + Yoshi

AthWyrm + Flan

Battle Sprites

Merc + Yoshi

Lehn + GhastStation

Maps

Kitty of Time + Primefusion

Agro + ShinyPichu

Edited by Flan-chan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool theme. :)

I forgot to mention that it's strictly portraits for me. I don't worry about maps for now.

doesnt matter what timezone my partner is... just don't ditch me. ;___;

Edited by Hiruma Yoichi

I forgot to mention it earlier but I have no preferences for partners. Random pairing, picking, doesn't matter (Provided we even get more than 2 people signed up for maps. Skeptical)

Could you also give us some time/schedule/contact info?

ALSO, signups end tomorrow. I think we're pretty much set in terms of potential participants, but I'd like to leave it open one more day just in case. Those who haven't picked a partner will be randomly paired tomorrow evening. Entries will be due Aug 20th.

Edited by Flan-chan

How do you know I only do portrait, it's like you can read mind or somethiiiing.

Also my timezone is MDT/GTM-6 at the moment. (Forever alone in these mountains)

Edit: Lumia 5ever

Edited by Amelia

Pairs announced!

Have fun.

Due AUGUST 20th.

Portraits

Merc + Nih

Lumi + Amelia

Mew + Acha

Boney + risingSolaris

fuzz94 + Kon

Lenh + Yoshi

AthenaWyrm + Flan

Battle Sprites

Merc + Yoshi

Lehn + GhastStation

Maps

Kitty of Time + Primefusion

Agro + ShinyPichu

Seems like I made a mistake somewhere.

If you want to participate in more than one category, please let me know.

Note to self: separate flexible/multiple participants next time.

Edited by Flan-chan

h-hasn't merc x nih happened before?!?!

omg my two S supporters are trying to block me out of our three-way :((((((

also hi shinypichu, I encourage you to add me on skype if you use it, otherwise we can just PM

i have a great partner, but i do wish half of the people entering this didn't just pick their partners. that's VERY stupid, especially when some people pick partners they've already worked with :/

more importantly, are half-bodies allowed in this round or not? the first round said no, but the second said "bonus points if you do this". here, it's a little ambiguous because you stuck the restriction out instead of just removing it, so i need to be sure

I don't think any of the pairs have been repeated.

Also, the reason for offering the option to pick partners was because a lot of the randomly-paired partners dropped out due to schedule conflicts, not to mention only maybe 3 pairs picked themselves. Everyone else was random.

It's no longer in effect. I didn't want to change too much of Astel's original wording the first time around. I'll make more edits according to how things go in successive rounds. The reason the rule was in effect at first was to give less experienced spriters a little more of a leg up, since I realize it can be daunting for more experienced spriters to so quickly pump out large sprites of decent quality. However, because this is a challenge and not a competition, I'd rather like to see what everyone is capable of rather than having to restrict the sizes. That being the case, whether or not you want to do a 96x80, halfbody, or fullbody is up to you and your time constraints.

There's no reason to get all uppity about it.

Edited by Flan-chan