What do you think are canon pairings?

Junkhead

I never said anything about my preference for the pairing. xP

And the female Avatar wasn't in love with Frederick when they first met, only since that night the group ate bear meat. And that was a little later. But whatever the case, it works fine for me because I would've been in love with him then too. XD

You are nitpicking details that don't matter even though they're close enough, and looking at only things you want to see again.

For one thing I wasn't even aiming at Frederick specifically. What I'm SAYING is that MU's supports don't jump out as badly as Chrom x FeMU, but Frederick is one of those options that aren't that high on "believability factor".

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While you might think it's romantic because it's your Freddy bear, "spending time together" like say... Lon'qu protecting Liz/Lissa... or say... Donny/Donnel carrying Liz/Lissa to safety because of a broken leg... would be probably times when they'll say to themselves, "do I like this person?"

While they lampshade the hell out of Frederick and FeMU by saying "she was in love with him from the first time they met", it's still raises eyebrows.

This is a game where, besides Tiamo/Cordelia, rejection doesn't exist.

Sully rejected Virion from the jump. Then again, eventually, she succumbs to him so you're right

You are nitpicking details that don't matter even though they're close enough, and looking at only things you want to see again.

...No, I'm not. I'm pointing out what's in the game and nothing else. Not any "fantasies" you think I might have.

Considering how out of nowhere the romance feels like (Lon'qu and Nowi... ugh...) It would have been great if there was an extra support where S is building up the romance and the actual proposal being S+ or something like that. Plus, the ring thing feels kind of forced. Why not prove you're someone's child with a some random mememto (Minerva, Miriel's hat, etc.)? But it's not too bad.

Hey, even I will admit that the avatar's confession to Miriel and Henry is a bit disjointed and I love 'em both. Actually, all of Miriel's S supports are a bit wonky if I'm honest. In some supports, she doesn't seem to really "understand" marriage or if a guy wants to marry her. In the avatar's she seems quicker to catch on. Even though their entire support was about Miriel nabbing his pouch and using it to study gravity (lol). Henry falling for feMU seems more in character because he seems to become attached to his female support partner even before the S support, but feMU falling for Henry kind of seems a bit jumped, you know?

I think almost all of the supports feel "jumped" when it comes to the love part.

Totally not white-knighting Frederick.

Let's change the subject then.

Most of the supports are based on one gimmick, because that's all 4 conversations can muster in development.

If you base the entirety of "canon" on how properly written they are, you're going to be angering a lot of fans.

As much as I love my shota husband, I can admit the S Support is very much out-of-nowhere. 8U It's brave and cute of Licht to risk his life to get a pretty jewel to give to My Unit, but it felt very disconnected from the C-B-A supports before it. I wish they didn't get lazy in the My Unit Support department... Especially since like 80% of them are exactly the same for both genders, with an S-Rank tacked on for the opposite gender.

It did... the first set of supports dealt with writing a letter to his parents, and then the S support comes out of nowhere.

Actually, it's like that for a lot of them. Either the S support is tied into the other three so much you practically HAVE to get the last one in order for it to make sense or feel finished, or it's completely unrelated.

And yes... some of the Avatar supports are dull as heck. I would have definitely preferred some sort of conversation about Henry's life in Plegia than to what we got, even if it was fairly cute. I do like backstory, and any bit I can get I relish in.

Lol, Vashiane, the only pairings we agree on are feMU/Henry and Chrom/Olivia. :P

Hmm, that's a bit of a disconnect, isn't it?

:)

Ah, well, if we all liked the same thing, the world would be boring as all hell!

Honestly, Soul... do we need another BS pairing topic?

People have thrown crap at each other over this in this forum more than enough.

...Unless you haven't noticed the redundant posts people make... or the troll posts.

But you don't understand, that's not what I have in mind. There's no shipping involved here. Just reasons on why you think such pairings are canon.

But you don't understand, that's not what I have in mind. There's no shipping involved here. Just reasons on why you think such pairings are canon.

"The reason I think none of the pairings are canon is because there has been no official announcement from IS saying that they are canon. Also, I get this many pairings to choose from, so why should I worry about it being canon?"

Also, I personally thought that Frederick/Avatar was a bit of a jump. But then again, I think all of the romantic pairings were.

And any official announcement from IS would be pointless because the point of multiple choices on pairings is to let us decide who marries who. IS announcing canon pairings would make this totally moot.

It's not unheard of, though. Namco did pretty much that with LloydxColette even though previously both Symphonia games gave you and still give you the ability to choose. Yeah yeah, different game, different company and all that, but it's the concept that matters and matches.

Not that it stops the fans though, but that's kinda expected.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

And any official announcement from IS would be pointless because the point of multiple choices on pairings is to let us decide who marries who. IS announcing canon pairings would make this totally moot.

Exactly. It's freedom of choice, and just as someone may want to pair Olivia with Lon'qu, or Virion, or even their Avatar, it's their choice. Your canon is your canon, and is vastly different from mine.

Now...

I actually have a discussion I want to start.

We've discussed canon pairings to death, but what about everyone's canon friendships? Romantic bonds aren't the only bonds in the game, definitely, but they've only be mentioned a few times.

We've discussed canon pairings to death, but what about everyone's canon friendships? Romantic bonds aren't the only bonds in the game, definitely, but they've only be mentioned a few times.

Liz/Lissa x Mariabell/Maribelle is pretty obvious in that case.

It's not unheard of, though. Namco did pretty much that with LloydxColette even though previously both Symphonia games gave you and still give you the ability to choose. Yeah yeah, different game, different company and all that, but it's the concept that matters and matches.

What he said.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Exactly. It's freedom of choice, and just as someone may want to pair Olivia with Lon'qu, or Virion, or even their Avatar, it's their choice. Your canon is your canon, and is vastly different from mine.

Now...

I actually have a discussion I want to start.

Well in that case, deffinitely Sully/Stahl for being fellow knights in arms, Lon'qu/Say'ri just for hailing from Chon'sin, Frederick/Cordelia for their pride in serving the royal family, Nowi/Panne for being non-human and I'm really surprised Lon'qu and Basilio don't support considering the respect they have for each other

Edited by HeroKingMarth

Actually, I don't consider any pairing as canon...

Canon friendship for me: Gerome and Laurent, but most of the fans don't care about their friendship :/: ... Anyway, I really like their conversation in Harvest Scramble

Canon friendship for me: Gerome and Laurent, but most of the fans don't care about their friendship :/: ... Anyway, I really like their conversation in Harvest Scramble

A lot of the Yaoi fangirls uphype Gerome and Azure/Inigo too.

Can I be an asshole again, just like in the marriages are serious business thread?

*Cracks knuckles* Time to derail this topic.

Chrom x Sumia: Pies. Get out.

Chrom x FeMU: Sees each other naked, can't help themselves.

Chrom x Sully: Sparring sparring sparring

Chrom x Maribelle: Maribelle loves Lissa more than you.

Chrom x Olivia: No development.

Avatar x Sully: DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

Avatar x Miriel: I observe you like bacteria under a microscope

Avatar x Sumia: GENEALOGY OF THE HOLY WAR. And books.

Avatar x Panne: Beauty and the Beast

Avatar x Cordelia: "You're a genius!" "Stop calling me that, meanie!"

Avatar x Nowi: Throwing rocks with little girls.

Avatar x Tharja: Spending time with a creepy stalker.

Avatar x Olivia: Realizing how insignificant your savings are compared to the government.

Avatar x Cherche: Wyvern matchmaking service.

Avatar x Say'ri: So Japanese, it hurts.

Avatar x Flavia: Watashi no Tactician ga konna ni kawaii wake ga nai

Avatar x Anna: Things money can and can't buy

Avatar x Kjelle: DO YOU EVEN LIFT? THE SEQUEL

Avatar x Severa: I'm tsundere and try to come up with strategies you already know about.

Avatar x Noire: Self-esteem/confidence issues.

Avatar x Nah: Getting her to discover normal food.

Avatar x Tiki: Onii-chan issues.

Avatar x Emmeryn: Ill girl gimmick.

Avatar x Aversa: Pseudo-imouto mocking onii-chan temptress style.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Hey, SoC got your Everclear ready? If you're gonna be taking a shot every time someone (or hell, just me) says a pairing just makes sense, you better be using everclear.

Chrom/Sumia (Lovebirds, Rigged Poll, Intro)

Lon'qu/Lissa (Arrows. She's the first to approach him. That whole she wanders off, needs bodyguard deal. The fact that he falls for her, and his gynophobia isn't involved.)

Vaike/Miriel (Vaike misplaces things. Laurent's father misplaces things. Their intro is together.)

Stahl/Sully (Unique Paired ending. The only paired ending that isn't generic.)

Ricken/Maribelle (Their whole intro. The fact that Ricken's been in love with Maribelle for longer than he's been in the game. (He went and pulled what he did because he's in love with her, ala Azel joining with Sigurd because he loved Aideen))

Gregor/Nowi (Official Art together.)

Virion/Cherche (Master and Servant. They've known each other for years- and she's faithful to him.)

Robin (M)/Lucina (Unique Confession Scene (47 scenes, only hers stands out as "different" (no bubbles)), Fits with the theme of the game, she always loves him/her (Final chapter intro), Alternate Chapter 21 scene (also applies to Chrom/FeMU, but Chrom/Sumia is too much of a thing.), the OST cover features her with the flowers from her confession with him.)

Hey, SoC got your Everclear ready? If you're gonna be taking a shot every time someone (or hell, just me) says a pairing just makes sense, you better be using everclear.

Chrom/Sumia (Lovebirds, Rigged Poll, Intro)

Lon'qu/Lissa (Arrows. She's the first to approach him. That whole she wanders off, needs bodyguard deal. The fact that he falls for her, and his gynophobia isn't involved.)

Vaike/Miriel (Vaike misplaces things. Laurent's father misplaces things. Their intro is together.)

Stahl/Sully (Unique Paired ending. The only paired ending that isn't generic.)

Ricken/Maribelle (Their whole intro. The fact that Ricken's been in love with Maribelle for longer than he's been in the game. (He went and pulled what he did because he's in love with her, ala Azel joining with Sigurd because he loved Aideen))

Gregor/Nowi (Official Art together.)

Virion/Cherche (Master and Servant. They've known each other for years- and she's faithful to him.)

Robin (M)/Lucina (Unique Confession Scene (47 scenes, only hers stands out as "different" (no bubbles)), Fits with the theme of the game, she always loves him/her (Final chapter intro), Alternate Chapter 21 scene (also applies to Chrom/FeMU, but Chrom/Sumia is too much of a thing.), the OST cover features her with the flowers from her confession with him.)

Honestly, I'm surprised every single one of yours fits with mine... it's just the Robin/Lucina one.

she always loves him/her (Final chapter intro)

Strictly English.

Alternate Chapter 21 scene

You kind of have to. Two main characters, with one about to kill the other.

The Robin/Lucina canon justifications succumbs to the same thing that the Robin/Chrom canon justification requires for that scene:

MU's gender.

the OST cover features her with the flowers from her confession with him.)

With the flowers meant to look like headphones. Honestly, how many OSTs have you seen with art featuring a girl from a series that only have to do with making the art look aesthetically pleasing?

Yusuke Kozaki was commissioned to draw a character. They were not given instructions on what implications to put on said art for the OST.

*Takes one shot*

Edited by shadowofchaos

Hahaha, just my luck that the one pairing I despise in this game is Vaike/Miriel, eh? :P Then again, I don't like Vaike in general, so the only time I pair him is when I want a blonde Severa.

I still can't say I agree that there are any canon pairings in this game, but to each their own?

Then that was a very stupid move on Namco's part and I very well hope IS is smarter than this.

Then that was a very stupid move on Namco's part and I very well hope IS is smarter than this.

Um, Ana, just because you don't approve of them taking such an action doesn't mean it was a "very stupid move" on their part ;/

I applaud them for being glorious trolls, actually.

Adapt this to fandoms as you will.

sCH3yoD.jpg

Edited by shadowofchaos

Um, Ana, just because you don't approve of them taking such an action doesn't mean it was a "very stupid move" on their part ;/

I never said it was stupid because I don't approve of it. I heard that Colette got a lot of hate for being the canon girl. So it seems that a lot of people didn't approve of Namco's decision.