QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still a copout.

Saying something is "evil" but "necessary" is simply stating you're powerless to change something you dislike.

It's simply stating that people as a whole are not. It isn't a copout so much as a grim acceptance of observable fact. Do you think everyone would obey rules if there were no governing body to enforce them here? And yet is it not accepted that a governing body by its nature limits freedom?

We must accept that creating a good world is not itself built upon solely good acts. Many are questionable and others are certainly bad, yet we must necessarily sustain them. Tanks, planes, missiles, and mines are all tools of destruction. They can't build, only destroy. Even so, all modern nations make and use them.

It's simply stating that people as a whole are not. It isn't a copout so much as a grim acceptance of observable fact. Do you think everyone would obey rules if there were no governing body to enforce them here? And yet is it not accepted that a governing body by its nature limits freedom?

We must accept that creating a good world is not itself built upon solely good acts. Many are questionable and others are certainly bad, yet we must necessarily sustain them. Tanks, planes, missiles, and mines are all tools of destruction. They can't build, only destroy. Even so, all modern nations make and use them.

Shifting blame? "The world is not ready for my ideas" instead of "I'm unable to use my ideas to change the world"?

It's true that government, by definition, limits freedom - it exists for that purpose (people are naturally free to plunder and kill, after all). Is freedom "good", though? Some say it's "evil". Or even that it's a curse. Defining freedom is an ideological choice.

As is defining "evil". And as is defining "necessary".

And of course, as is defining them all as relative.

Fuck yer big fancy ideological answers

Deadlines man

I ain't getting shit done without them but they make me so stressed hng

It's kind of a stone's throw away, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned academic-related stuff considering you mentioned deadlines ;P

Shifting blame? "The world is not ready for my ideas" instead of "I'm unable to use my ideas to change the world"?

It's true that government, by definition, limits freedom - it exists for that purpose (people are naturally free to plunder and kill, after all). Is freedom "good", though? Some say it's "evil". Or even that it's a curse. Defining freedom is an ideological choice.

As is defining "evil". And as is defining "necessary".

And of course, as is defining them all as relative.

No one ever said that evil is not subjectively defined; indeed my entire point is that we as a society accept things that we don't like to reach what we find a collectively better world. You won't find any two people that completely agree on everything, and even basic matters of morality are no different. While we recognize that freedom is good, we also recognize that pure freedom in the wrong hands can be evil, and so we let people govern us. While we realize that blowing up people is not good, we also realize that being blown up is also not good, and thus arm ourselves so as to ward off those that would do us harm. And so on and so forth.

History is filled --and always will be-- with compromise. That is what "necessary evil" is, by its nature.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

How is pain evil

Pain has no conscience

When people talk about "necessary evils" they aren't necessarily talking about conscious beings

money isn't a conscious being, yet interest used it as an example of necessary evil, for instance.

Edited by Nobody