QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

You know, I was about to disagree with you on "beauty standards" but I end up agreeing with you. I certainly do like more "femenine" looking women, but that doesn't mean that they have to set a standard on it.

And yeah, fuck most gender roles.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problems with people acting to what the societal-prescribed gender roles are out of their own will. The problem is when things are forced. I'll defend feminine-presenting and acting women to the death but it doesn't mean I have to be one.

Lifting in the traditional sense isn't very good for your body and should only be done to test one kind of strength, not train. (I think.) Recently found out stomach crunches are bad, too.

Short answer, no. I don't lift.

Want to do Insanity at some point if it doesn't kill me.

Lifting in the traditional sense isn't very good for your body and should only be done to test one kind of strength, not train. (I think.)

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, as long as you don't try to lift more than you can (or try to do strange "exercises").

Edited by Smogon'sWashingMachine

Lifting in the traditional sense isn't very good for your body and should only be done to test one kind of strength, not train. (I think.)

What do you consider "traditional sense"? If it's heavy lifting, then no; as that is the quickest and most effective way to build endurance and create gains, whether you are trying to build muscle or lose fat. In a healthy person it's valuable to promote effective exercise in both cardio and heavy lifting.

nope

pointless seeing as how I can't gain weight no matter how hard I try

Let me teach you the secret to bodybuilding:

First thing: protein

Second thing: protein

Third, fourth, and fifth: More protein

No really, though, gaining weight isn't complex. You have a set number of calories your body needs to intake to maintain weight; consume less and you lose weight, consume more and you gain weight. Find out how much you need to eat and set up a diet around the calories you need. This handy little doodad here is an excellent calculator to find the range you need.

What do you consider "traditional sense"? If it's heavy lifting, then no; as that is the quickest and most effective way to build endurance and create gains, whether you are trying to build muscle or lose fat. In a healthy person it's valuable to promote effective exercise in both cardio and heavy lifting.

Let me teach you the secret to bodybuilding:

First thing: protein

Second thing: protein

Third, fourth, and fifth: More protein

No really, though, gaining weight isn't complex. You have a set number of calories your body needs to intake to maintain weight; consume less and you lose weight, consume more and you gain weight. Find out how much you need to eat and set up a diet around the calories you need. This handy little doodad here is an excellent calculator to find the range you need.

Oh gawd, someone else gets it.

I'm having trouble reaching the amount of necessary protein while trying to lower my calorie intake by 500.

eh

I like being slender anyways

I do, too. But I also want to gain more muscle while still being slender. You don't need to be a bodybuilder and have huge muscles.

Edited by The leaving song II

I've heard tell of some powerlifting training hypotheticals where people go above 300 pounds and back down while trying to maintain lifting ability, and I can't imagine that being anything but horrific for long-term health, but aside from strains I haven't yet heard specifics regarding lifting being bad for anybody.

Also Makaze I think that was me who brought up crunches in IRC, haha

spine trouble notwithstanding, they gave me aerobics gut :{

Oh gawd, someone else gets it.

I'm having trouble reaching the amount of necessary protein while trying to lower my calorie intake by 500.

Lower your calorie intake by 500? Aren't you like ten pounds? Are you trying to kill yourself? o___o

Trying to lift as much weight as possible and focusing in arm strength. My image of 'lifting' is the bench press.

Trying to lift as much weight as possible and focusing in arm strength. My image of 'lifting' is the bench press.

But bench press is more for building muscles in the chest area, not in the arms >_>

Edited by Smogon'sWashingMachine

But lifting isn't only confined to the arms. Orrrrrr the bench. Leg day, bro. Everyone needs leg day.

And that won't make you unhealthy, just shaped funny. :o

Lower your calorie intake by 500? Aren't you like ten pounds? Are you trying to kill yourself? o___o

I'm pretty thin, but not liek, skinnyfuck skeleton thin. I'm thin, have some shape but also have some layer of fat that doesn't make my abs visible (I assume I'm 15% BF, planning to get around the 10-12% area).

At 5'9"/138 lbs, you just can't be fat, obviously. But I want muscle "tone", and for that, I do both cardio and weight-lifting. :x

Edited by The leaving song II

But bench press is more for building muscles in the chest area, not in the arms >_>

I stand corrected. Same idea anyway.

But lifting isn't only confined to the arms. Orrrrrr the bench. Leg day, bro. Everyone needs leg day.

And that won't make you unhealthy, just shaped funny. :o

What are you lifting with those legs?

I did lifting in high school. I got to 135lb (61kg) on bench press. But since I left, I don't "lift" anymore :(

I just stay scrawny and do push ups, sit ups and joging since my body refuses to gain weight.

Edited by sifer

I stand corrected. Same idea anyway.

What are you lifting with those legs?

Press, curls, squats.

Though like most others I don't leg day as much as upper body. But then I don't usually go to the gym so I don't do arms much either~

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Okay given how people answered this question it's time to discard one from my backlog.

No...actually I think I can still ask this. It's a little different: How often do you exercise? I don't care what it is - as long as you're trying to keep in shape or whatever or even if it's part of your job description, post whatever you believe is part of your exercise routine, what it is, and (generally) how frequently you do it. Some people probably already answered this question to a point thanks to the previous one, but meh.

I've been trying to bring a standard routine into my life, so it's a rather pathetic 30 minute forced march (pretty much walking at just under jogging speeds, though over time I'm going to increase both the time and intensity of this exercise), curls with light (10 pound) weights (around 100 per arm a day if I can help it in smaller sets of reps), among other random exercises focused around either keeping my heart rate up (lol jumping jacks) or working specific muscles on my body (like my thighs or abdomen through situps and other things). I generally do these exercises at least 4 times a week, though that may increase to 6 very soon.

Edited by Interest

Back during my sophmore summer I worked out 90 min a day.

now it is like 30 min every other day... I am working on it though

Day A 30 min bike ride, push ups and sit ups

Day B lunges, squats and jumping jacks. I havn't adding in jogging back :/

I skimp a bit too.