My plans for the kids

jdb1984

I unlocked about a half-dozen paralogues that contained the children. So I did what anyone would do-sat down and planned what skills will be passed on to the kids. The list here has their parents, as well as their current class and what will be passed on from them.

Note that some of these kids are not available yet, because the supports are not high enough for the couple. It's the couple I have planned, and they will be marked with an astrick.

Owain*:
Lissa (Dark Flier)-Galeforce
Fredrick(Great Knight)-Luna

Kjelle:
Stahl (Myrmidon)-Astra
Sully (Cavalier)-Luna

Cynthia:
Chrom (Great Lord):Aether
Sumia (Pegasus Knight):Galeforce

Female Morgan:
MU (Sorcerer):Vengance
Miriel(Dark Knight):Lifetaker

Yarne:
Panne(Wyveren Rider)-Deliverer
Kellam(Knight)-Luna

Laurent:
MU (Sorcerer):Vengance
Miriel(Dark Knight):Lifetaker

Nah*:
Nowi (Wyveren Rider)-Deliverer
Libra (War Monk)-Renewal

Edited by jdb1984

So, asterisk means the pairing is not yet set in stone?

Owain*:

Lissa (Dark Flier)-Galeforce
Fredrick(Great Knight)-Luna

Not a bad pairing, per se.

Owain likes the Luna, and he already gets Vantage and Galeforce.

Frederick will lower his magic, though, and that's the main stat Lissa passes down - also, Fred lowers Spd.

I would suggest someone like Ricken or Kellam (oh, Kellam is already taken, nvm).

Nah*:

Nowi (Wyveren Rider)-Deliverer
Libra (War Monk)-Renewal

Why would you want Libra!Nah? Nah is not a magical unit at all.

I would go with either Vaike!Nah or Donnel!Nah. Both grant a self-healing move, which is always good. Nah doesn't make nearly as good use of Galeforce as some other kids, though, so if Donnel is needed elsewhere, go with Vaike.

Gaius is another option (pass Sol).

Have Miriel pass Dual Support+ to Laurent, as it's the best female-exclusive skill she can pass.

Avatar probably shouldn't pass Vengeance to Morgan (F) (I'd go with passing Counter or Wrath or something if at all possible, as those are male-exclusive skills).

I a bit more to criticize about other pairings, but no use crying over spilt milk.

[spoiler=Other criticism]

Fine.

Stahl!Kjelle is a lot of class overlap - Donnel (GF + Merc), followed by Vaike (Merc) and Gaius (GF + Sol only, but Myrm overlap is regrettable), are Kjelle's best dads, IMO.

Actually, other than that I see few problems.

Why would you want Libra!Nah? Nah is not a magical unit at all.

I was going more by what pairings I liked personality-wise, rather than the optimal pairings. And Vaike died early, before I stopped doing a permadeath run on this file.

Stahl!Kjelle is a lot of class overlap

Even with Stahl as a Myrmidon? And since each parent only passes off one skill, skill overlap isn't much of a problem.

I may look into Dual Support+, but I don't know if I want to switch my Avatar to an Axe user and weaken him by dropping him to an E-ranked weapon, even if it's only temporary.

And the asterisk means that yes, they aren't at S rank yet, so they can go to someone else

Edited by jdb1984

Stahl!Kjelle is a lot of class overlap

Even with Stahl as a Myrmidon? And since each parent only passes off one skill, skill overlap isn't much of a problem.

I may look into Dual Support+, but I don't know if I want to switch my Avatar to an Axe user and weaken him by dropping him to an E-ranked weapon, even if it's only temporary

If you're just going for story enjoyment, I really wouldn't worry too much about skill inheritance, honestly. Pass Galeforce if you can (and want to bother getting Lissa/Maribelle/Olivia to that point); otherwise, pass whatever skills you think will benefit the kid. If you think having MU go through Zerker to get Wrath/Axefaire is too much of a pain, then don't bother.

---

Hopefully this won't sound too pedantic.

Kids will gain both a single skill from that their parents have, as well as gaining class access to a combined pool of their parents' available classes (gender-locked classes will be replaced by an accessible class if necessary). This is generally why people say to pass Dual Support+ or Galeforce to sons-- because sons can't get it on their own via reclassing. Same with Axefaire/Wrath/Counter on daughters.

Stahl's reclass options are Cavalier, Myrmidon, Archer. Sully's are Cavalier, Myrmidon, Wyvern Rider. Thus, Stahl!Kjelle will only have 5 base classes (Cavalier, Myrmidon, Wyvern Rider, Archer... and Knight). Kjelle's a special case, since she always also gets a random Knight from nowhere and is the only kid to do so.

Contrast Donnel!Kjelle, who has seven base classes (Cavalier, Knight, Myrmidon, Wyvern Rider, Troubadour, Pegasus Knight, Mercenary). Sully doesn't have Pegasus Knight innately, and Donnel can give Galeforce to a girl who doesn't have it as base (either Fighter/Villager turns into it, and the other into Troubadour), as well as the Mercenary line, which Kjelle wants for Armsthrift/Sol. In comparison, Archer's kind of an underwhelming class out of certain contexts.

Furthermore, the opportunity cost associated with Stahl!Kjelle is that you can't have Stahl marry someone else. Stahl I would venture to say is the best parent in the game barring MU, since a lot of other kids would like his classes. Kjelle and to a lesser extent Brady I would say are the only kids who squander his manseed.

---

But ultimately, this isn't too much of a concern for just a story playthrough. Just do whatever you want.

Kids will gain both a single skill from that their parents have, as well as gaining class access to a combined pool of their parents' available classes (gender-locked classes will be replaced by an accessible class if necessary).

I didn't know that. I thought they would get the single skill from both parents, and they would learn the skills from their class.

I didn't know that. I thought they would get the single skill from both parents, and they would learn the skills from their class.

They can learn skills from any class they can get access too. They just get that extra skill on top of it.

To be exact, children get the last skill that their parents have if it's eligible (read: not a DLC skill or, in Inigo's case, Special Dance). e.g. Frederick has Discipline, Outdoor Fighter and Luna, and Lissa has Miracle, Healtouch, and Rally Magic. In this case, Owain would have Rally Magic and Luna. There are exceptions, however: Chrom always passes down Aether to his daughters and Rightful King to his sons, even if he doesn't have the skills yet, and likewise, Lucina always passes Aether down to Morgan.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Stahl!Kjelle is arguably the worst pairing in the game. She gets no new classes because of complete overlap. I use Vaike!Kjelle, but Donnel!Kjelle is the absolute non-avatar best. Libra is an almost worthless father. Everything he has can be gotten from Henry, and Henry gives better mods. Nowi is best with Gaius, Donnel, Vaike, Fred, Stahl, or Kellam.

Stahl!Kjelle is arguably the worst pairing in the game. She gets no new classes because of complete overlap.

Stahl passes Archer. You're thinking of Frederick!Kjelle.

Basically, they get all of the classes from their parents that aren't gender specific. Barbarian, Berserker, Fighter, and Warrior are male-only while females get Pegasus Knight, Falcon Knight, Dark Flier, Troubadour, and Valkyrie. Since a son will have his father's classes and a daughter will have her mother's classes, the inheritance to same-gender kids is not as crucial. Also, note that Yarne recieves Barbarian instead of Wyvern Rider from Panne.

When it comes to inheritance, make sure to pass down a skill that the kid will not be able to get later (if the parent can and if it's a useful skill to you). Daughters may want Counter if their father has it, and sons want Galeforce (and if unable, then possibly Dual Support+) from their mothers. DLC skills can't be passed down. Chrom's son will inherit Rightful King and his daughters will inherit Aether. Lucina's son Morgan will also inherit Aether. Chrom's non-Lucina kids can pass down anything to Morgan, but should pass down a Lord/Great Lord skill because only Chrom and Lucina can actually be Lords.

This page will help: http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/children.html