So, my computer has been attacked by scammers recently...

MarioKirby

First off, if this isn't in the right board, the mods are welcome to move it to a different board.

So, this is something that has happened twice within a week of each attack, the second attack occurring today. Basically, what happen is my desktop is replaced with a window that states that the government has seized my computer/encrypted all of my files and that have to pay them to get it fixed.

Now, manual-restarting my computer gets rid of the window, but this is bothering me, especially when this has happened so frequently recently after not happening at all.

Should I be worried about this?

Download malwarebyte anti-malware and get that shit off your computer asap.

I already have Malwarebytes and have performed a full scan with it both times it has occurred. I have also had it remove all threats it found.

Here's a guide. I believe this is the virus? http://www.fixpcyourself.com/reveton-virus/

Thank you very much. I'll take a look at it immediately.

Another question for anyone who can answer: can this carry with it other threats like viruses and/or Trojans, or is it just malware?

I believe it's just malware. I also recommend cleaning your registry with CCleaner.

edit: Hm, it's very odd that my Web of Trust app is telling me that guide is untrustworthy...

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I think Web of Trust knows what it's talking about. . .anyway, if you've got time, might I suggest going over to Bleeping Computer and paying their malware removal forum a visit/post?

Malware Bytes is good, but it doesn't hurt to run multiple anti-malware programs to be thorough. Just don't have multiple AV programs running on top of each other. I run both SuperAntiSpyware and MBAM regularly and they're pretty good at catching what the other missed. Doesn't hurt to scan in Safe Mode to catch anything into the system registry that won't come up if you do a normal boot.

Thanks for all the suggestions and concern, everybody. I'll try looking into all the suggestions posted so far over the weekend, when I will have some more free time on my hands.