About Zeek. (Tear Ring Saga Spoilers)

The Void

Is it just me, or is Zeek TRS's way of playing with how FE games have characters from the enemy nation or organization join your party like Minerva?

You meet him in a chapter as one of the enemy units, he talks to the Lord, he talks to one of the other party members about his past, he sticks around in the part with what he has going for him, and then it turns out that Zeek is still helping Zoa. He later leaves the party and is fought as an enemy. With him keeping his stats and skills.

Sort of, in a carefully planned double agent way. For all we know, the Zoans could've wanted to use Zeek to help in conquering Welt and part of the Empire to make them weaker and easier to seize.

Keep in mind that Minerva was at odds with her brother for killing their father though, while Zeek pretty much lied for his own background.

I think Zeek is well-designed as a crutch for newer/weaker players to use early on, that comes at the expense of being more difficult to beat later on. I'm not sure if they specifically did it to show how suspicious it can be when a random enemy unit switches sides.

Not quite. Apparently he really was a slave, but it's because he was from Zoa and not because he was from Barge and sold into slavery when the Zoans conquered it. It's a big part of Karla's motivations. The game does try to make it clear that he's not actually evil though.

It's so badly translated though that I don't blame anyone who missed that info.