Do you consider Wyverns to be Dragons?

blyegg

Wyverns, Dragons?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Are Wyverns Dragons or a subspecies of them? (OR something else?)

• Yes.
    • No.

The way I see it, Wyverns are a smaller, stupider and domesticated cousin of Dragons, who are sentient and much bigger.

Drakes are another subspecies that are a bit bigger than Wyverns and mostly inhabit coastal areas.

In terms of gameplay, yeah. Wyvern Rider and Dragonlord are sort of the same class, so why not?

Edited by Melonhead

Distant cousins, perhaps, but nowhere near the same species, considering they're nothing more than flying transport while true Dragons are a sentient, ancient and much more powerful race.

Wyverns are stated to be a type of dragon, so yes, I consider them dragons. They are normally armless and have wings in place of arms (like the mounts of the Wyvern Knights in Sacred Stones), though most of the ones in FE have arms AND wings. And they're actually shown to be pretty smart. Haar's wyvern understands him pretty well, and Cherche's wyvern seems to be the same with her.

Wyverns are typically meant to be a bit more "bird like" than a Dragon. IE : four limbs, two legs and the wings are basically meant to be their arms (don't count the tail), beaky mouth. The reptilian body and dragon head makes them related to dragons though, and honestly in fantasy terminology the whole lot of Drakes, Dragons, Wyverns, and Wyrms is poorly maintained. Wyverns don't tend to breath fire either I think.

For consistency's sake I'd say no but when even really profilic media misportrays the specifics it pretty much means nobody gives a damn about the archaic reasonings anymore.

In FE, to be honest most of the Wyvern Knights really ARE Dragon Knights/Dracoknights since they have 6 limbs if you count the wings. It's always confused me a bit on the whole origin of those creatures because they must live wild, must be somewhat intelligent, but you never seem to get any direct discussions on how the ridable Dragons are related to the enemy dragons. The only thing I can think of is

rajajon as ashnard's mount in PoR

and he looked notably different compared to the other Wyvern/Dragon Riders

Edited by Irysa

normally i'd say they were seperate but in FE im not sure you can make that distinction as the boundry is poorly maintained...

In tellius they might be seperate(note they have too many limbs to be true Wyrverns) but otherwise they have been implyed to be feral dragons after they for some reason (that I've yet to have seen explained why) dragons lost their intelegence