Pokemon X/Y General Thread

Quintessence

Use Gale Wings Talonflame for sure, but using Jolly over Adamant is kicking yourself in the butt. Talonflame's 81/74 offenses are terrible for OU standards (where the average base attack stat is 96). It's also worth noting that unless you're using Flare Blitz, the extra speed from Jolly is irrelevant, because Brave Bird gets the priority. If the only reason you're running Jolly is to outspeed one move on one Greninja set, then I strongly suggest getting the extra 10% damage from Adamant because physical Greninja is easily the rarest set right now.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I had Bellossom use Toxic was so I could save its Leaf Storm PP. But your Greninja did more damage to it than I expected, so...

Also, I noticed that despite your Greninja's Substitute still being in effect when Bellossom used Giga Drain, it still lost HP from the move. I should've repeated that instead of trying to predict when the Substitute would wear off. But I still choose not to use the move, because I feel it would be too difficult to get an opportunity to use it correctly.

My Greninja didn't actually lose HP from Giga Drain; your Bellossom absorbed the HP that Greninja sacrificed to make the Substitute, so it absorbed about half the amount of the substitute's HP. Still, it is a good way to both attack the substitute and recover HP ant the same time, though you won't be recovering much.

Ohey, a new sticky web user!

Sewaddle gets Sticky Web at Lv.31, so Leavanny gets the move.

Compared to Galvantula, Leavanny:

- is immune to Powder moves and Weather (Overcoat)

- hits harder than Galvantula (103 Atk vs 97 SpA)

- is slower (base 92 vs base 108)

- is bulkier (75/80/70 vs 70/60/60)

- can Baton Pass Swords Dance or Agility

Seems like it can easily compete with Galvantula for top sticky web abuser.

Oh, another thing that I didn't know was that Heavy Slam is a Fighting type move. I always assumed it was Normal type because the regular Slam move is. >.>

And I realized that one thing about the speed thing in mine and SL's battle didn't make sense. My Talonflame couldn't outspeed Greninja, but my Pyroar did (because she drained its last bit of HP with a Flamethrower before it could make any moves). And my Talonflame is the fastest Pokemon on my team. WTF.

Edited by Anacybele

What nature is your Talonflame? What nature was SL's Greninja? What were the EVs on both?

Also Heavy Slam is a Steel move.

No, I mean that my Talonflame has higher speed than my Pyroar, yet only the latter could outspeed Greninja. Which makes no sense. And anyway, I already stated that my Talonflame's nature doesn't affect its speed.

And my bad... again.

Edited by Anacybele

And I realized that one thing about the speed thing in mine and SL's battle didn't make sense. My Talonflame couldn't outspeed Greninja, but my Pyroar did (because she drained its last bit of HP with a Flamethrower before it could make any moves). And my Talonflame is the fastest Pokemon on my team. WTF.

What move did Greninja use? I haven't seen the battle but perhaps it was a priority move like Water shuriken?

Actually, I mentioned before that I do have the battle saved (I save all my battles, wins and losses, to study), so I'll put it up for review. And you finished off my Greninja with a Flamethrower from Delphox during the charge turn after Hydro Cannon.

Here's the code for viewing: 3HXG-WWWW-WWW2-7B57

Actually, I mentioned before that I do have the battle saved (I save all my battles, wins and losses, to study), so I'll put it up for review. And you finished off my Greninja with a Flamethrower from Delphox during the charge turn after Hydro Cannon.

well that's one fail apiece.....

well that's one fail apiece.....

Hey my Delphox actually has Grass Knot, it can hit teh water types and teh big bulky rock/grounds :smug:

edit: not da best but... oh... I HAS A PLAN

Edited by Quintessence

Hey my Delphox actually has Grass Knot, it can hit teh water types and teh big bulky rock/grounds :smug:

edit: not da best but... oh... I HAS A PLAN

I meant 1) Ana not knowing Hydro Cannon was just used/getting her Pokemon mixed up and 2) SL carrying Hydro Cannon in the first place (this one's probably worse, because you can't just forget that your Pokemon has it)

Edited by shadykid

...Oh. Oopsie, my bad. xP

I meant 1) Ana not knowing Hydro Cannon was just used/getting her Pokemon mixed up and 2) SL carrying Hydro Cannon in the first place (this one's probably worse, because you can't just forget that your Pokemon has it)

Hey, for the record, it's my in-game team being used for a casual battle; obviously if it was competitive I wouldn't be carrying it. Its useful to spam occasionally in-game as well, so don't judge me. :P

Hey, for the record, it's my in-game team being used for a casual battle; obviously if it was competitive I wouldn't be carrying it. Its useful to spam occasionally in-game as well, so don't judge me. :P

for the record, I like spamming Close Combat with Mega Lucario

Ohey, a new sticky web user!

Sewaddle gets Sticky Web at Lv.31, so Leavanny gets the move.

Compared to Galvantula, Leavanny:

- is immune to Powder moves and Weather (Overcoat)

- hits harder than Galvantula (103 Atk vs 97 SpA)

- is slower (base 92 vs base 108)

- is bulkier (75/80/70 vs 70/60/60)

- can Baton Pass Swords Dance or Agility

Seems like it can easily compete with Galvantula for top sticky web abuser.

Leavanny doesn't seem to get U-turn and it's STAB moves are weaker than STAB Thunder. Being very weak to flying types is also detrimental to being a sticky webber. Baton passing shit is interesting though.

I noticed something interesting. It looks like a lot of fully evolved pokemon can learn moves up to an absurdly high level, but most of these moves can also be obtained through the use of Heart Scale since they're also level 1 move. Example: Gardevoir learns Moonblast at lvl 85, but I got it when mine was level 40 thanks to move relearner.

That's another weird thing.

Blaziken can either wait to lvl 66 or use a Heart Scale to get Flare Blitz, but it needs an Heart Scale to get High Jump Kick.

Gardevoir can learn/relearn moonblast and stored power, but it needs an Heart Scale to get Misty Terrain and Healing Wish.

(all those terrains are so confusing too with their main and hidden function)

And does anyone have a tip on the quickest way to level up your pokemon(is the only option to go through the E4 again and again?)

Edited by LuxSpes