Why necroposting is bad?

Nicolas

On occasion it's not bad, but if a topic has died off it's a bit weird to bring it back in a lot of cases. For instance, the necro person might be responding to a comment that's a month old and the user who posted may not even see they got a reply.

There might be more to it than that, however.

Bring stuff back from the dead is bad D:

In all seriousness, chances are if a topic hasn't been posted in for so long that posting in it again counts as necroposting, there probably isn't much left to talk about.

Plus it can get confusing if you've been frequenting the forums lately--some people might wonder "hey, I don't remember seeing that topic".

Plus it can get confusing if you've been frequenting the forums lately--some people might wonder "hey, I don't remember seeing that topic".

This doesn't seem like much of an issue.

What if a user comes back after a long absence and wants to respond to something? What should they do?

This doesn't seem like much of an issue.

What if a user comes back after a long absence and wants to respond to something? What should they do?

That's covered by the rules : )

2.5.2 Instead, if necessary, simply make another topic. This rule does not apply to the creators of art topics, hacking projects, and other threads of similar nature that need to be updated. Examples of acceptable use of necroposting are:

2.5.2i You have asked a staff member and they have permitted you to post in an old thread.

Generally, if in doubt, ask the staff : P

if we start reviving dead topics we'll get zombies all over the place and you don't want that do you

Too late.

That's covered by the rules : )

Generally, if in doubt, ask the staff : P

I have permission to reply to things with a new thread. Thank you.

I don't think anyone would be too up in arms about it if there were more things to discuss on the topic, but typically threads die off for a reasons :P
if you want to discuss it you could always start it back up again with a new thread! :)

I read this topic's title as "Why is necrophilia bad?"

Not that we're unlikely to find that topic on the "serious discussion" forum.

This made me laugh.