FE4 Text editor/viewer?

Miacis

Since I can't seem to find anything about the subject: I wish to rip the japanese text out of FE4 roms, including hacked ones. I don't necessarily intend to edit it, just view it in text form.

Is there some sort of tool which can do that?

Edited by Miacis

I think I've come across a tool or two for that, from various Japanese resources. I could link you to my running archive, but I couldn't tell you what to look for inside of it.

Next to that, I don't think the game has anything too fancy going on for its text. If not, you could get a table file together and view the text with a simply hex editor most likely. Maybe you should check out J2E's source files for their translation, see if there's anything useful for you to get started with. Maybe even Twilitiri's stuff too, although he may have hacked up how the text is stored in the game during his translation work, so I don't know if any of his stuff would be compatible with a vanilla FE4 game.

I'm fairly certain Pukachi has info on this game's text. Wherever that is.

Various combinations of the search strings "Pukachi", "SpyroDi", "Easy Text" (with and without a space) and variations of "Fire Emblem 4", when entered into Google, turned up many threads about her patch and text editing process, including posts by her. Unfortunately, none of them seemed to contain any links to the patch or documentation.

I think she has an account here. If she even checks it then perhaps you should PM her?

I think the Easy Text patch reverts Twilikitri's text storage/format to being just ASCII, for simplified editing. The last place I saw it uploaded was on FESS years back.

I don't think that would help with understanding the Japanese script in this case, though :/

True. I posted based on the topic title and not the actual post, which I should know better than to do.

If Pukachi was able to make the patch, though, that suggests the Japanese text is stored in a raw format that is easily extracted. By something Twilkitri has already made, perhaps.

Edited by Solais

I'm actually in possession of the the FE4 easy text patch. Unfortunately, it's not particularly helpful for anything other than inserting new text. Twilkitri's source files are pretty comprehensive, although, as said above, things are stored a little differently.

• 2 weeks later...

dialogue text graphics in FE4 are located from $128200 - 14B340, view them in GB mode in the editor of your choice (I use tile layer pro)

[spoiler=sample]fe4text1.png

menu text is compressed but according to this https://www.dropbox.com/s/xem5ayipcwla5pw/fe4enc.txt

it is located from $C2B - 1B7B

now only if someone around here could write a decompressor (for more than just text use), I found a re-compressor but not a de-

and also menu text is all in shift-JIS

Edited by Lorena

Are you Pukachi? Did you forget your password?

strangely not the first to be confuse but he is a lot gayer than me

also he helped teach me stuff

Edited by Lorena

dialogue text graphics in FE4 are located from $128200 - 14B340, view them in GB mode in the editor of your choice (I use tile layer pro)

[spoiler=sample]fe4text1.png

menu text is compressed but according to this https://www.dropbox.com/s/xem5ayipcwla5pw/fe4enc.txt

it is located from $C2B - 1B7B

now only if someone around here could write a decompressor (for more than just text use), I found a re-compressor but not a de-

and also menu text is all in shift-JIS

Was there a decomp included with the Twilkitri source files for the patch he put together? If not, have you looked into J2E's old translation work? You may find something helpful there.

Was there a decomp included with the Twilkitri source files for the patch he put together? If not, have you looked into J2E's old translation work? You may find something helpful there.

I don't think I saw one but I managed to decompress it anyway

fe4text2.png

although it's kind of pointless to just rip this text since FE5 uses the same exact set (plus more) and it's uncompressed

still, compressing it again with your own text could be handy