What's Wrong With The Dark Knight Class?

Sorin

I think it's a pretty good class, the high defenses and move are really good, and swords are at least a handy option. The downside is it doesn't have access to dark magic, which is underwhelming.

I think they're stellar, despite the lack of Dark Magic. Of course, out of all of them, I feel Henry/Gangrel are best suited for the class permanently, due to their access to Acrobat, which negates all those pesky terrain issues and allows them to storm their way across practically anything.

It's really underrated. It's probably the best of the sword/tome hybrid classes since it has a horse and is more magic oriented, but since it doesn't have as much style as the Grandmaster or Dread Fighter it often goes overlooked. Gameplay wise, it's probably better just to focus on Paladins and Dark Fliers if you want mobile attackers, but Dark Knight isn't too far behind and has its uses.

Dark Knight has the 6th highest class stat totals (not counting move) behind 1. Bride 2. Dread Fighter 3. General 4/5. Grandmaster/War Monk/Cleric. It also has 8 move.

Definately one of the best classes in the game.

I don't think this is a very sensible way of comparing classes. Some stats matter a lot more than others, and even the relative value of stats changes depending on what you're talking about (defences don't mean much in Apo, while Skill is disproportionately important - and one of STR/MAG will always only be of marginal value (I'd rather Dark Knights had a +5 MAG cap and -20 STR cap than what they currently have)). Not only that but Manakete is effectively no. 1 for stat caps, because of the essentially permanent stat bonuses they'd be getting from a Dragonstone+.

That said, Dark Knights are alright, but never really excel. In-game, they suffer from having a very poor level 5 skill, although they're pretty decent compared to Sages. Their 'hybrid' aspect often won't come into play unless you reclass someone decently mixed into it (most likely Avatar). Postgame, they're a good class if you want the movement and magic use, which is a nice feature, but otherwise their caps are locked up in defences, which are somewhat less important there.

I'm not sure why everyone gives them a bad rep. I like Dark Knights, as they offer the best of both Strength and Magic. Lack of access to Dark Magic is an issue, sure, but it's a minor one at best. Also, some characters make better Dark Knights than others, but that is also a minor issue.

Bottom line, there's really no major issue with this class. It's basically just Grandmaster with more mobility and lack of Ignis. There's nothing wrong with that, I find.

Only experience with Dark Knight came when I decided to reclass MU for the fun of it (and mostly because there really wasn't anything else worth it to go to). Suddenly I find myself dealing with an amazing 24 Spd powerhouse that got nearly steamrolled by everything. Go figure. (Also promoted Tharja into it to try out something that isn't Sorcerer. Instantly regretted it.)

Dark Knights are decent, but the main issue is that it's slow (5 base Spd sucks) and not many characters have the stats to go mixed (the mages have pretty bad Str growth, while the manaketes have bad Mag base + weapon ranks). MU is probably the only person imo that really doesn't mind going Dark Knight due to his innate ranks, but MU's broken anyway. The only advantages of DK are... mobility. really.

I personally don't use Dark Knight because the outfit is atrocious. 8U Battle panties are disgusting, and the huge ridiculous popped cape/collar thing looks too stupid. I'd take low-mobility-but-better-outfit Sage any day.

I personally don't use Dark Knight because the outfit is atrocious. 8U Battle panties are disgusting, and the huge ridiculous popped cape/collar thing looks too stupid. I'd take low-mobility-but-better-outfit Sage any day.

If the collar didn't interfere with Ricken's hat, he and Henry would be the most stylin' people on the team, no contest. XD

Edited by Vashiane

Default Sage outfit is ugly as all hell. Seaweed green mixed with an extremely artificial shade of blue. Its also overdressed and uncomfortable looking.

Dark Knights are an amazing class that is good at everything except postgame. Shoddy base stats hurt it however. Male Dark Knights are the coolest looking classes in the game.

Default Sage outfit is ugly as all hell. Seaweed green mixed with an extremely artificial shade of blue. Its also overdressed and uncomfortable looking.

Dark Knights are an amazing class that is good at everything except postgame. Shoddy base stats hurt it however. Male Dark Knights are the coolest looking classes in the game.

Sadly, I have to agree. Emmeryn/Lissa's version is far better, and Miriel for me takes the cake for best reclass outfit in the game.

I would hope they are good. When facing them, they felt quite unbalanced.

With them being able to resist both physical and magical damage while their own magic assured that their counters would be painful, there never seemed to be a good way to approach them.

But I guess that doesn't necessary mean they are good as a final class.

Funnily enough as far as female class designs go, it was actually one of the few I considered bearable enough to use for MU. (Among Trickster, Bow Knight, Sage and D.Pegasus, I think)

Though it could be that I missed or misinterpreted parts of the design.

Edited by BrightBow

I would hope they are good. When facing them, they felt quite unbalanced. With them being able to resist both physical and magical damage while their own magic assured that their counters would be painful.

Of course that doesn't necessary mean they are good as a final class.

Funnily enough as far as female class designs go, it was actually one of the few I considered bearable enough to use for MU. (Among Trickster, Bow Knight, Sage and D.Pegasus, I think)

Though it could be that I missed or misinterpreted parts of the design.

It may be the battle panties - or at least that's the deal breaker for me, personally. If it were a skirt instead, I'd buy that outfit for myself, forgot my Avatar.

Ah, really? The bright yellow of the Trickster outfit throws it for me, really.

Honestly, I think I'd like a lot of the outfits a hell of a lot more if the generic color scheme wasn't blue, honestly.

Battle panties are pretty awful, yeah

I tend to battle anims off so I don't have to deal with the awful most of the time but it's so jarring at the end when you have that mandatory cutscene with grima

I don't use DK much though mainly because of its low class bases

I considered making Morgan one because I kinda wanted a magic user

Took a look at his stats as Paladin compared to DK at the class change screen and went with Paladin because better stats

It's not like he's any good at magic anyway considering his parents are lolwhatismagic Chrom and lolwhatismagic +Str -Res MU

Well I kinda want to make a DK Cordelia!Morgan with a Asset Skill Flaw HP MU so speed isn't a problem there at all.

No, it shouldn't, but for the best speed you'll probably want a Lon'qu!Severa/Laurent!Morgan. Gaius would probably work as well.