so i made my mom watch don jon with me

im a joseph gordon levitt fan but i skipped out on this one (even though it had scarlet jo) because he's honestly not a romantic comedy actor type. all the reviews i heard from friends made it sound terrible as well. romantic comedies dont usually have the best scripts, plus like joey said, they get repetitive for some reason i will never know (see best example: because i said so with mandy moore, title catchphrase is a punchline to everything, all the time, everywhere)

500 days of summer was remotely successful because it was targeted towards an younger audience, and probably because of great on set chemistry. although you could say don jon was targeted towards a niche audience as well, i think the reviews were terrible because everyone really remembers him in recent action thrillers like inception, dark knight and looper, which all had great writing behind them.

i'm glad he's trying new things to get out of his action thriller role but i think he should stick and ride with the genre, it's always done him well. i personally think he's trying to prove that he's not the guy who gets carried every film by bigger stars (leo, bale, willis) and wants to be the star in his own blockbuster, but romantic comedy isn't the right genre for him to try that imo.