What is your most favorite book?

Nicolas

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld was a pretty awesome book.

You totally neglected to mention some of the other weird things btw.

The cross dressing main character is hilarious

I will probably go with The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (because reasons) or The Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (because legit the only book to ever make me cry (I was like 10 though...))

I never mentioned anything in it to begin with...

And Aleks > Deryn

You should have. Some of the things are really funny out of context.

I agree but various things that happen to Deryn make her a more interesting character imo

lolol waiting for someone to say war and peace

I've read all but the last 100 pages of that book, it is legitimately good but not my favorite.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, in its original, unabridged, 14th century Chinese form.

orz

RAOggqE.jpg

Red Mars follows the "First Hundred", the first 100 scientists to establish a permanent settlement on Mars at the start of what becomes a massive terraformation project that spans 200 years in three books (Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars [as well as a short story collection titled The Martians]). Immediately they are faced with moral and scientific debates about altering the planet, but Kim Stanley Robinson delves into so much more than that. It would be so easy for me to write pages and pages of praise, but I'm a slow typist and I need to get to bed soon. I will say though, the writing and the ideas are absolutely brilliant, and if any novel demonstrates that literary science fiction can exist, this is it.

I picked it up and read the series (it's a trilogy: Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars, with a short story collection The Martians) when I was 12 and loved it for the exploration and world building. I reread it when I was 14 and loved it for the characters. I reread it when I was 17 and loved it for its phenomenal literary quality. I reread it when I was 19 and loved it for the sociological, psychological, ecological, and political investigation, commentary, and speculation -- the science is rock hard, and even though it's based on an understanding of the planet from the Viking missions, I think it holds up extraordinarily well (I am of course blinded by nostalgia, but I honestly have never been able to understand negative reviews of this book as being rooted in anything other than laziness and a mind so closed it may as well be welded shut). It's certainly long, long overdue for a reread from me!

Aw man I forget about that series, definitely on the.. I guess it's less a backlog and more a bucket list at this point

fiction: Steppenwolfe

nonfiction: Malcolm X's Autobiography

RAOggqE.jpg

Red Mars follows the "First Hundred", the first 100 scientists to establish a permanent settlement on Mars at the start of what becomes a massive terraformation project that spans 200 years in three books (Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars [as well as a short story collection titled The Martians]). Immediately they are faced with moral and scientific debates about altering the planet, but Kim Stanley Robinson delves into so much more than that. It would be so easy for me to write pages and pages of praise, but I'm a slow typist and I need to get to bed soon. I will say though, the writing and the ideas are absolutely brilliant, and if any novel demonstrates that literary science fiction can exist, this is it.

I picked it up and read the series (it's a trilogy: Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars, with a short story collection The Martians) when I was 12 and loved it for the exploration and world building. I reread it when I was 14 and loved it for the characters. I reread it when I was 17 and loved it for its phenomenal literary quality. I reread it when I was 19 and loved it for the sociological, psychological, ecological, and political investigation, commentary, and speculation -- the science is rock hard, and even though it's based on an understanding of the planet from the Viking missions, I think it holds up extraordinarily well (I am of course blinded by nostalgia, but I honestly have never been able to understand negative reviews of this book as being rooted in anything other than laziness and a mind so closed it may as well be welded shut). It's certainly long, long overdue for a reread from me!

I can't help but say that it comes with my recommendation as well. So good! The scientific and technological aspects are also explained in a way that I found it interesting despite being a total layman.