Pokemon nickname thread

Gregosa

The game has been out for almost two almost weeks and I'm sure a lot of us have been exposed to enough Pokemon old and new to give your critters unique names. For any Pokemon players confused by my board name the "osa" at the end of my name is just a suffix(it doesn't mean I speak fluent spanish), which is also the same linguistic approach to create Pokemon names.I thought going with osa was more creative than adding a bunch of underscores and xs next to my name. In games like Pokemon, Zelda, or rpgs where you can name yourself I just name myself Greg*something. I thought it would be a cool idea to hear what names you're giving your Pokemon. Some might be obvious others might be more subtle and involve local/cultural references. I'd like to hear everyone's six core team members (if you want to go that high). Maybe it will say something about you or even your battle style.

1. Nickelback: What I plan to name my Bibarel. Most people reading this will think of a certain band that's the antichrist of hipsters. In actuality the nickel is what's on the Canadian nickel.

2. Lord Slug: Obvious one it's Goodra. Not my fave Dragonball Z villain but the name seemed appropriate.

3. Prank Patrol: Klefki's ability. Also a reference to a bad tv show in my country where you wait for the buildup of prank that turns out undewhelming.

4. Vancouver: Politoed.If you've ever been to this city, Seattle or Portland, you should know it rains a lot. Ironically if you actually live in the west coast a large share of the population hates the rain, but continues to live there which I find odd from a climate science perspective because many animals go extinct if they can adjust to changes or climate. If people had that attitude but as a different species they'd go extinct pretty fast.

5. Conky: Conkledurr. It's the name of the dummy you can see in my avatar if you look closely. If you play competitively you know conkledurr is both powerful and a bit silly looking, but holy smokes does he pack a punch if you're not careful.

6. Spy-ninja or Ninja-Spy: I put the last one in brackets cause I wanted to make a tacky poll. If you've played with me or talked to me lately. I am having a lot of fun with Greninja. I got this idea from a movie a few years back called ninja-assassin. I thought the name was silly cause being an assassin is kinda a ninja's job. I want to know which name is best based on gender. I was hoping to ask my IRL friends this question but where I live generic hipster comments like "use blastoise mang" or "does the gameboy pocket connect to the 3ds". Those are two actual quotes btw.I'm not sure what's a good cut-off. I like using Pokemon from all gens but I honestly I find the idea of a frog that's a ninja more creative than a big turtle with a few guns on its body. Plus its battle style reminds a lot of Edge from Final Fantasy IV.

If you read through all this I like to use goofy ones who are deadly but deceiving hence the Gregnofool part of my name. I'd also really like to know how my ingame name translates when read in a different language. In English it looks silly cause I didn't even use a character/space to spell out my name. I also appreciate being able to battle online. If this series didn't have an online multiplayer feature where I'm from all I'd see are gen 1 starters and Mewtwos.

Edited by Gregosa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: Yosuke the Greninja. I was thinking of Frogfucius before this, but I didn't think it fit with a ninja-frog. Then one day while looking through the XY Update thread, Breezy said something about Yosuke from Persona 4, and that his Persona was a ninja frog, and it kinda clicked for me. I did thank him for unintentionally giving my Greninja an awesome name in a later post in the thread.

2: Bulby the Venusaur. Since my first file of Fire Red, I have always named any Bulbasaurs that I use Bulby, because I was an unoriginal 7/8 year old.

3: JoJo the Pangoro. People were making jokes about comparing Pangoro and Joseph (I think it was) Jostar, from that whole manga series. I decided to follow along with it while naming my Pancham, but since the 2 that I caught were female, I just decided to go JoJo instead of most likely Joseph if it was a dude.

4: Masamune the Aegislash. I wanted a sword name for my Honedge, and that's the first one that popped into my head.

5: UglyBarnacle the Barbaracle. "The once was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly, that everyone died. The end."

6: Snoop Dog the Furfrou. This one is weird in that, it was just a random name that I gave to a random Pokemon that I caught that would hang out with my team until I found a 6th party member. Eventually, I got to like the Victory Road, and just decided that since he has been in my team for so long, he might as well stay. Anyway, the origin of Snoop Dog for its name should be fairly obvious. If I wanted it straight from when I caught it, it probably would've been like Rex, my dog's name.

In conclusion, I either don't have any originality for names (Bulby, UglyBarnacle), or very little (Masamune, Snoop Dog).

Edited by Konnor97

Not just any ninja frog, but a DISCO NINJA FROG!

Same idea as that I named my Greninja Brosuke.

Got a Doublade and called it Ogami Ichiro.

And Gastly is called Aya-me.

And that's just my postgame team.

Gyarados: Akravator - Flying(Wind) Water....

Okay it looks like Dragon. Close enough

Dragonite: Vadise - A cute Dragon

Aerodactyl: Jajara - Fossil "Dragon" anyone?

Blissey: Doombringer - Like Lucifer, Blissey beats up "spellcaster" and give them a massive residual damage through Toxic/Doom

Elektrike: Trikeraitopus - Lame pun elekTrike RAI triceraTopus

Tauros: Bullfsaar - Bull + Ulfsaar

Tentacruel: Storybrocool - self explanatory eh

Sygilph - Nan dezu ca? - Nazca + ....yeah

Pidgey - Lame + Berd

And the Phylosophy sets:

Slowpoke: Slowcrates

Hipopotas: Hipocrates

Aurorus: Auristotle

Heracross: Herakleitos

Rick Gastly

I like this one

Me, I'm pretty bad at giving nickname. And since I am still pretty much obsessed with fire emblem, this is the result:

-Chestnaught: Zelgius(dunno, he's an armor-like shell and is a fighting type)

-Aegislash: Lucina(purple/blue at first, ribbons and I dunno, it's a sword)

-Trantrum: Gangrel(the crown and collar seemed like a good match. Also they're both tyrant)

-Yveltal: Grima(despite not being a dragon, I found their back story and looks to be similar)

-Azumaril: Azure(it's blue and the japanese name for Inigo)

-Dragalgue: Tharja(Skrelp seemed to have the same depressed look)

You are now allowed to cringe at how horrible and unoriginal I am.

Edited by LuxSpes

Here's what I've nicknamed some of the Pokemon I've caught and used:

Chesnaught - Chugganaut

Talonflame - Cap. Falcon

Tyrantrum - Bio Rex (it's an F-Zero reference)

Aegislash - Hexcalibur

Blastoise - Leonardo (it's a TMNT reference)

Florges - Etoile (it's French, so I think it fits)

Clawitzer - Cannonshell (it's a lobster with Mega Launcher. Fitting)

Pangoro - Panda Jin (based on an inside joke between me and my classmates)

Noivern - Subwoofer

Scizor - Zantetsuken (I've given this name to every Scyther and Scizor I've caught since Gen 3)

Trevenant - Frightmare

Gogoat - Aries (it's more of a ram than a goat, I think)

Cradily - Barnacle (*sigh*)

Zoroark - Kitsune (*sigh*)

Ninetales - Kyuubi (*SIGH*)

Gourgeist - Pyro Jack

Avalugg - Jack Frost

Gengar - Ripper Jack (another way of saying Jack the Ripper)

Haxorus - Lockjaw

The annoying part about nicknaming Pokemon is how once I name one, I feel like I'm forced to name all of them.

I still can't come up with a good name for Scizor. Maybe I'll name it Rock just to be ironic.

I typically don't nickname my Pokémon.

I don't usually either, but considering that Y version is gonna be for team building and X version will be for pokedex completion, I felt like naming my Eeveelution team at least. They're named after OC characters I created for my second gen Tellius story; since I named my Awakening street pass team units after the beorc characters, I figured I'd name my pokemon team after the laguz characters (and one branded).

Flareon - Ari

Vaporeon - Sarai

Jolteon - Kairos

Espeon - Ayla

Umbreon - Fakir

Glaceon - Yune

Leafeon - Isa

Sylveon - Corrine

My main six:

Alice the Greninja

Jonathan the Talonflame

Kylie the Florges

Heather the Venusaur

Roy the Pangoro

Alexander the Tyranitrum

I made a rule for myself in B2 that when I catch a Pokemon, I would decide whether I'd use it or not. If I did choose to use it, it would get a name and I wouldn't remove it from my main team. I don't really want to name my Pokemon after things like anime characters or other video game characters, so I gave them names that I liked and that matched their gender.

I was actually considering things like Jonathan for my Froakie starter, but then I went to nickname it, and it was a girl. Then I caught a Fletching, and decided it would be Jonathan. Something similar happened with Heather, since I again assumed I would get a male Bulbasaur, only to get a female as well.

4. Vancouver: Politoed.If you've ever been to this city, Seattle or Portland, you should know it rains a lot. Ironically if you actually live in the west coast a large share of the population hates the rain, but continues to live there which I find odd from a climate science perspective because many animals go extinct if they can adjust to changes or climate. If people had that attitude but as a different species they'd go extinct pretty fast.

Good to know that Vancouver gets some sort of mention, even if it is just a nickname for a Pokemon lol

3. Prank Patrol: Klefki's ability. Also a reference to a bad tv show in my country where you wait for the buildup of prank that turns out undewhelming.

I see you and I share the same country,

thank you for reviving the horrible memories of that show.

I see you and I share the same country,

thank you for reviving the horrible memories of that show.

Glad you get the reference. Does the game have enough characters for a character/space!

Edited by Gregosa

I did made up the nicknames for my Pokemon that I did:

Platinum

• Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape - Mario (from Super Mario series)
  • ? (I couldn't remember what Pokemon I named as Luigi?) - Luigi (from Super Mario series)
  • Ratita - Waluigi (from Super Mario series)
  • ? (I couldn't remember what Pokemon I named as Peach?) - Peach (from Super Mario series)
  • Geodude - Wario (from Super Mario series)

HeartGold

• Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr - Mario (from Super Mario series)
  • Pidgey/Pidgeotto - Luigi (from Super Mario series)
  • Ratita - Waluigi (from Super Mario series)
  • Hoothoot - Peach (from Super Mario series)
  • Geodude - Wario (from Super Mario series)
  • Ho-Oh - Roku

Black

• Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott - Mario (from Super Mario series)
  • Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland - Luigi (from Super Mario series)
  • Purrloin - Peach (from Super Mario series)
  • Reshiram - Chrom (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Victini - Roy (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Cobalion - Ike (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Virizion - Lissa (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Terrakion - Sigurd (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Kyurem - Basilio (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Tornadus - Wind God

X

• Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja - Mario (from Super Mario series)
  • Scatterbug/Spewpa/Vivillon - Luigi (from Super Mario series)
  • Pansage/Simisage - Don
  • Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame - Peach (from Super Mario series + Female)
  • Pikachu/Raichu - Sparky
  • Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard - Lizardzaur
  • Lucario - Ike (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Xerneas - Chrom (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Mewtwo - Roy (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Zygarde - Emphraim (from Fire Emblem series)
  • Moltres - Firebird
Edited by King Marth 64

I usually name my starters after planets.

Mars the Typhlosion.

Jupiter the Feraligatr

and Mercury the Meganium.

I tend to do this with my competitive teams.

Anyway,

Frogjitsu the Greninja

King the Tyrantrum

Gremlin the Gengar

Charmanamar the Charizard

And a Lucario and Garevoir that are unnamed

Also while I can't name the mystery gift Blaziken, I usually name my Blazikens 'KFC'.

Me, I'm pretty bad at giving nickname. And since I am still pretty much obsessed with fire emblem, this is the result:

-Yveltal: Grima(despite not being a dragon, I found their back story and looks to be similar)

Same here.

I'm actually starting a grand breeding project, to assign each lord unit a starter:

Marth (Squirtle)
Alm (Chespin)
Celica (Fennekin)
Sigurd (Oshawott)
Seliph (Froakie)
Leif (Chimchar)
Roy (Tepig)
Lyn (Treecko)
Eliwood (Cyndaquil)
Hector (Piplup)
Eirika (Chikorita)
Ephraim (Turtwig)
Ike (Charmander - Mega Charizard X is blue)
Micaiah (Bulbasaur)
Chrom (Totodile)
Lucina (Mudkip)
As soon as I acquire DWFs for the corresponding starter, I can begin trying to breed for each lord.