Event Torchic

Espinosa

I think the reasom many dislike the metagame before the split is because the game had less diversity. Like, a physical attack would NEVER scatch a scarmory, for example. Now, it has to be cautious about fire blitz. Also, before the split, many pokemon couldn't run stab moves, like gengar, who couldn't properly use ghost or poison moves (not that it was a big issue for him)

Machamp's Cross Chop can put quite a dent into Skarmory in GSC, and Skarms not running Drill Peck (real enough possibility) don't face Heracrosses very well, so I dunno about that. Switching into Curselax repeatedly to phaze can also wear you down, whether it's attacking with Body Slam with the chance of para or with the powerful Double-Edge.

Physical Gengar sets are a real deal in RSE, since Blissey might switch in too comfortably otherwise. Sludge Bomb hurts Celebi pretty well, too, and he gets conveniently unbanned in this gen (though when I first discovered the irc bots as a kid, I ran Celebi just fine before the ban).

when you list a -3 priority move that is still only neutral, that only proves his point

i mean i'm not sure if you've played gen 3 before, but switching skarmory into a heracross is a scary prospect.

it's true that most physical attackers were walled by skarmory, but generally you had 3 options: CB focus punch, fire blast, or double switch to a special attacker or magneton. you made smaller gains in earlier generations by predicting correctly, but they were still significant plays.