Ranking the new Kalos Pokemon

shadykid

the first thing I think is: thank god a greninja

That's the opposite of how I react. Non-pink-blob Pokemon have a pretty hard time switching into it: for example, 252 HP / 0 SDef Sylveon takes somewhere between 40 and 50% from a LO Hydro Pump. Greninja gets nice coverage, STAB on everything, and U-turn to gain the initiative.

Carbink on same level as Delphox is debatable

Delphox offense sometime does not feel enough, even with LO and just like 900.000 other pokemon in the game, forced to run Focus Blast just so that Tyranitar did not simply say sup everytime it switches in. Goodra also goodrablocks it.

Its Hidden Ability is awkward even if you use stupid shit like Herb -> Beam.

HP Nerf means its not going to kill Full HP Dragon with HP Ice anytime soon

Carbink OTOH sets Stealth Rock and have Sturdy

Carbink > Delphox IMO(I actually used both of them >_>)

Edited by Eradicator Boner

TBF, I don't find any of the new pokemon that good (ubers aside) with the exception of maybe talonflame. Perhaps, I just haven't found anyone that knows how to use greninja properly (including me lol)...

Edited by Nobody

I'm not that big a fan of Assault Vest. Goodra prefers Leftovers since it takes so little damage from most special attacks anyway (so Lefties can recover off a significant amount of that bit of damage, whereas AV won't); Tyranitar prefers a Choice item; Heatran really takes a huge hit from using Assault Vest since specially defensive Heatran really needs to be able to use nondamaging moves; Scizor loses Defog, Roost, and I think Swords Dance if he's stuck with an Assault Vest.

That Talonflame exists only means that you can't rely on Greninja to take it out.

Edited by Miikaya

End game with Delphox and I'm confused to why she is bottom tier for you, Doof.

I'm not sure if this is for in-game purposes or for Wifi battle purposes.

If it's for in-game, then Delphox for top.

For Wifi, which I ranked on, Delphox has problems standing out. Fire is a terrible defensive typing, and there are a lot of Psychic types that it has to compete with.

With regards to Carbink, it's one of like... 6-8 Stealth Rock users right now, so it's never a liability right now. Once PokeBank comes out, then yeah it'll go down a lot.

Re: Greninja. Greninja has its fair share of priority as well, and a Physical set imo rivals Talonflame for best revenge killer in the metagame. Water Shuriken and Shadow Sneak do hit a lot of big names right now, such as Excadrill, Talonflame, Aegislash, Mega Gengar and Blaziken. Though I think I'm the only one who kinda finds Special Greninja meh.

Also Talonflame shouldn't be outspeeding it because Jolly Talonflame is terrible. Always use Adamant.

Edited by DoofInAHat

you know, regarding Pokebank, I almost wish they started from scratch like in gen 3, because with Friend Safari you end up with 550+ Pokemon anyway

maybe that's just because I didn't play gen 4 or 5

edit: before anyone gets any ideas, it's not because of hacks/RNGed Pokemon, in fact I welcome it

Edited by shadykid

you know, regarding Pokebank, I almost wish they started from scratch like in gen 3, because with Friend Safari you end up with 550+ Pokemon anyway

I actually kinda wish that, too, start with a clean slate and all. It would also be more evidence of a planned gen 3 remake.

You should also add megas to the list as they're basically new Pokemon as well. I'd like to see how some of them compare.

I don't have much to actually comment on since I'm more for the ingame stuff (Battle Maison, etc.) than online competitive.

maybe that's just because I didn't play gen 4 or 5

I actually also feel this way now. everything feels so fresh, and its so easy to get pokemon with perfect ivs now that i dont thinks I'll be transferring any pokemon

I'd put sturdy Avalugg at mid, he's a fairly safe switch in against physical attackers given his above average health and insane physical defense, and can even play a good offensive role with avalanche, however his weak special defense would keep him out of a higher tier. He also doesn't get stealth rock, even as an egg move, believe me, I tried. Keeping with stealth rock, his 25% health loss doesn't bode him well, although he could work as a rapid spin sacrifice into a free switch. All in all, I'd put him at mid, no higher

Why is Slurpuff so low? I mean, it has Belly Drum + Play Rough, respectable bulk and Unburden, which allows it to outspeed +1 speed base 110 with a positive nature. Sure, Slurpuff isn't top tier material but could at least go up to low-mid <_<