The 5th Playable Character in Super Mario 3D World

Randoman

Since VincentASM considered the specific character reveal a spoiler, I thought I'd keep the title and OP spoiler safe, for those who don't want it spoiled:

So yeah, Rosalina is an unlockable 5th Playable character in Super Mario 3D World.

10840095466_db320d0660.jpg

10840364113_b93f40a4d1_z.jpg

10840365633_4f267b8a18_z.jpg

10840091596_d7e9061a51_z.jpg

So what do you guys think? I'm guessing some people find the choice quite questionable, huh?

My opinion:

It certainly suprised me that they chose Rosalina over Yoshi or Wario, especially since those two are much more prominent and key Mario characters and were even playable in Super Mario 64 DS (the only 3D Mario game where you get to play as characters besides Mario or Luigi before Super Mario 3D World came around). I'm definitely not complaining though, since Rosalina is one of my top 5 favourite Mario characters and she's a really likeable character design and backstory wise.

She looks slightly weird in a Tanooki outfit, though.

Rosalina is so cool. ^^ Way better than Wario or Yoshi, imo.

But Daisy definitely has stamps too. One of the silhouettes in the stamp screenshots was definitely of her, I recognized the shape of the hair. She must be in the game in some form as well. I'm sure of it. I can't imagine how I could be wrong, but maybe I am somehow. Who knows...

Edited by Anacybele

I actually would've preferred Daisy if they were to add another girl, but I like the idea of Rosalina being playable.

Rosalina hasn't really been playable, and she's only appeared in Galaxy / Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart Wii, and it looks really interesting to see her actually playable that's NOT a racing game.

I kinda understand why Yoshi isn't playable. He's been pretty clearly relegated to "helper character" status.

No idea why they wouldn't go for Wario though. Maybe they didn't think it would be plausible for Wario to want to help them?

It's nice to see they've kept the gameplay style of the SMG games around this way. Have they confirmed that Rosalina is the only additional character?

Rosalina is so cool. ^^ Way better than Wario or Yoshi, imo.

k4B8ZWu.jpg

No idea why they wouldn't go for Wario though. Maybe they didn't think it would be plausible for Wario to want to help them?

It's nice to see they've kept the gameplay style of the SMG games around this way. Have they confirmed that Rosalina is the only additional character?

I think they're trying to keep Wario and Mario seperate outside of spinoffs, as the two don't interact much outside of party/kart/golf/tennis/baseball/soccer/smash bros. The last time I recall them being in a non-spinoff was Super Mario 64 DS.

Ooh, that Ike pic again, yay. :wub: I don't know what I'd be mad about though, could you elaborate?

Can you post the Daisy stamp?

I know people have said that there is a Fire Peach stamp, so I'd be nice to see if Daisy and Fire Peach are two different stamps.

Check out this screenie:

bae8_640x381.jpg

See that stamp silhouette at the very bottom right corner? That's definitely Daisy, appearing to hold a fireball (Fire Daisy?). The shape of the hair, the crown shape, everything about it screams Daisy. And also, I forgot about the roundish stamp just to its northwest, the one circled in purple. It appears to be like the other playable character stamps, but it isn't Rosalina, as the other blank roundish stamp is certainly her.

Three playable princesses sounds a little repetitive, but Daisy needs a playable role again outside of the Party, Kart, and sports titles. Oh please let this be true, Nintendo! Grant my long time wish to play as Daisy in a Super Mario main title. :D

Edited by Anacybele

She is EAD Tokyo's baby, so it makes sense for her to show up versus Yoshi or Wario.

This. Additionally, her spin attack is a direct reference to the Galaxy spin move Mario has.

I think she brings more to the table in terms of uniqueness because she is a blank slate. And she can be developed more as a character (however little this is for a Mario platformer). Wario and Yoshi have their own series so they are fine. This is Rosalina's biggest appearance yet. EAD Tokyo stands to benefit from having a stronger roster of Mario characters.

Additionally, for Yoshi, it is better that he remains a helper in the Mario platformer series (aside from 64 DS) so it's more special when you play as him for his games. For Wario, I would say that his style of platforming is much different than the pace of this game.

I think Yoshi might be a ride like he was in the other games.

I read an interview where they side-stepped the question of whether Yoshi is in the game by replying that you can ride another dinosaur.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

That's unfortunately not Daisy, as more stickers have been found. Here's a more updated screenshot.

oCQ02h0.png

It also looks like unless there are more pages of stamps, Rosalina is the only hidden character.

That's unfortunately not Daisy, as more stickers have been found. Here's a more updated screenshot.

oCQ02h0.png

It also looks like unless there are more pages of stamps, Rosalina is the only hidden character.

Unless that gas cloud between Kamek and Rosalina is Wario letting out a fart

Damn, only Rosalina? There are worse fates I suppose.

Ooh, that Ike pic again, yay. :wub: I don't know what I'd be mad about though, could you elaborate?

well+played+well+played+_d41ebe3c5301f6d

Edited by shinpichu

Check out this screenie:

bae8_640x381.jpg

See that stamp silhouette at the very bottom right corner? That's definitely Daisy, appearing to hold a fireball (Fire Daisy?). The shape of the hair, the crown shape, everything about it screams Daisy. And also, I forgot about the roundish stamp just to its northwest, the one circled in purple. It appears to be like the other playable character stamps, but it isn't Rosalina, as the other blank roundish stamp is certainly her.

Three playable princesses sounds a little repetitive, but Daisy needs a playable role again outside of the Party, Kart, and sports titles. Oh please let this be true, Nintendo! Grant my long time wish to play as Daisy in a Super Mario main title. :D

Exactly! I'd really love to see Daisy playable.

I love Peach and Rosalina, but seeing Daisy too would be amazing. Peach's own game for the DS was fun, but I'd love to see the opposite in a newer version.

And normally in the Mario games, Mario is playable, and when you finish the game, Luigi is playable. If they were to make a Peach game, they should at Daisy at the end if you finish it.

cd.png

Game OST featuring Rosalina's black cat suit. She can't use her spin attack in cat form.

Yeah, it's really looking like she's the only unlockable character.

The Iwata Asks interview about the game says that she's unlocked by clearing the game, presumably after beating Bowser. The dev team also goes into why they picked her.

I was thinking about what would be pleasing after the ending and wanted to bring in another female character in addition to Princess Peach. Rosalina has a following among the Super Mario Galaxy fanbase, and she's appeared in Mario Kart recently, so I think she's well known.

When Super Mario Galaxy first came out, I was a little hung up on why Rosalina was showing up when Princess Peach was already there. I thought it was fine as long as it was only Super Mario Galaxy, and we made her design so she's a little bigger. But all of a sudden she was a regular character in Mario Kart as just a regular girl, even her size turned to normal.

Super Luigi U data unlocks the Luigi Bros. game, but it's unclear if it also unlocks Rosalina.

Link to interview: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/0

Video footage of the orchestra playing some of the game's music: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/video/?embedcode=M1aGc3aDrV6PCP-Bx3FnsdgLHslY_quO&autoplay=true&color=wiiu&title=true&iframe=true&width=640&height=360&

Edited by DoofInAHat