gay thread

Esme

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
[19:03] <@necktie> "Hipster" is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

[19:03] <@necktie> It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

[19:03] <@necktie> Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

[19:03] <@necktie> You can’t define what "that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle" actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use "hipster" to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

[19:03] <@necktie> The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a "hipster" could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - "Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!" - so you project those feelings.

[19:03] <@necktie> Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, "ironic" Them.

[19:03] <@necktie> tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

[19:04] <Hikarusama> I believe in hipsters

[19:04] <Hikarusama> because I

[19:04] <Hikarusama> am a hipster

[19:04] * Hikarusama is now known as Hipsterusa

[19:04] <@necktie> sigh.

[19:04] * necktie is now known as hipstie

edit: holy shit that spoiler is funky as hell

Edited by fuccboi

I bet you listen to that album with the dude who has a potato slice for a head

or is it a bongo

I can't tell

Edited by Esme

[19:03] <@necktie> tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

why'd you call your sister a hipster in THIS VERY THREAD (okay over a year ago) then, pleb Edited by Tryhard

why'd you call your sister a hipster in THIS VERY THREAD (okay over a year ago) then, pleb

literally was looking at that just before posting the copy pasta. i did say minus the tryhard which is apparently the defining characteristic of hipsters?

it was a joke anyway lmao i just wanted to say she'd started doing african percussion

Edited by fuccboi

are you butt battered

N-NO STUPID

so tell me, do tryhards actually exist?

probably

like chuchito, I've only seen tryhard used in the context of gaming where it refers to a person who uses everything they can to win whether it's considered fair or not

Edited by Esme

just busting yer balls m8

so tell me, do tryhards actually exist? because it seems like a pointless insult most of the time as well

i guess it's just a thing to say that someone's whole lifestyle is just making pointless attempts at pointless things

i think you got that from me when i fit that description anyway tbh

like chuchito, I've only seen tryhard used in the context of gaming where it refers to a person who uses everything they can to win whether it's considered fair or not

I usually saw it in terms of 'wow look at that guy actually trying to win while we're not even bothered' despite the fact of these games would be to be competitive with any means necessary. I suppose maybe if it was about exploiting the game or being unfair that would make more sense.

i guess it's just a thing to say that someone's whole lifestyle is just making pointless attempts at pointless things

i think you got that from me when i fit that description anyway tbh

you think you are alone in this? because I can guarantee that the majority of people don't have a clue what's going on, myself included.

it was better than my original name anyway

Edited by Tryhard

One situation where I might countenance calling somebody a hipster is in response to their calling another basic, if they used the version of the term referring to taste, and/or also perhaps if they genuinely called another a pleb, but I would probably prefer to just tell them to "become my patrician then, you fucking guy." give or take wiggling ass suggestively. just personally

Edited by Rehab

aside/in "recent" happenings (for me): Gone Girl is fuckin spooky, would rate and cover eyes at again

Edited by Rehab

One situation where I might countenance calling somebody a hipster is in response to their calling another basic, if they used the version of the term referring to taste, and/or also perhaps if they genuinely called another a pleb, but I would probably prefer to just tell them to "become my patrician then, you fucking guy." give or take wiggling ass suggestively. just personally

lmao you said this last time we discussed hipsters iirc.

aside/in "recent" happenings (for me): Gone Girl is fuckin spooky, would rate and cover eyes at again

bad spooky or good spooky?