Skill Ideas

Introvertism

Hello good people. So yeah, um, the title of the topic is pretty much self-explanatory. Do you have, or can think of, any skill ideas you like or would like to be in the next installment of Fire Emblem? Ok, just share your OP skills like LB down below. Thanks.

Skill: Swapper

Class Availability / Level: GK, maybe? / 15 because Luna rocks

Effect: When being under attack by an enemy, you can change your weapon at hand by any weapon you want from the unit's inventory (Once per turn).

Information: I wrote GK because they have access to swords, lances and axes but Assassins could do the trick as well. Heck, any class would benefit from this skill. Your unit is a Sorc, you equipped him with a Wind tome to take down a PK and on the Enemy Phase a *insert class here* is attacking you so you change your tome for a Nosferatu. Maybe you are a Hero and you are holding a sword while being attacked with a lance, use this skill and you can change your sword for an axe.

Skill: ???

Class Availability / Level: ??? / ???

Effect: The unit has accessibility to the Convoy during the battlefield (Like Chrom, once per turn).

Information: Nothing really much to said. Having this skill and Swapper equipped would make soloing chapters cool, I guess.

Skill: Marrige Correction

Class Availability / Level: Chrom

Effect: If Chrom is married to Sumia this skill divorces them and automatically marriges Chrom to Olivia for the sake of a better Lucina. Cynthia will still be Chrom's daughter, so yeah, everyone wins, except maybe shadowofchaos.

(inb4 ppl write Sol+)

Swapper would probably make more sense on something like a Nomad/Horse Archer/Ranger, but it's a cool concept. FE4 bosses were kind of tough because they did (kind of) that already.

There are a number of old skills which I think could have been remade in FE13, but weren't. For example:

Resolve

+20 hit/avoid when at half HP.

Cancel

Prevents an enemy from counterattacking. Trigger: Skl/2%

Nihil

Prevents a triggered skill (except Nihil) from activating. Trigger: Luk%

Stillness/Provoke

Non-boss enemies always prioritise attacking other/this unit.

Fortune

Negate crits

Adept

Attack twice consecutively. Each attack may trigger skills (but not Dual Strikes). Trigger: Spd%

(Note: Brave Weapons now give the Adept skill instead of always striking twice, because less OP)

Duel

Combat continues for another round, with the Duel activator attacking first. Trigger: Spd% (only if HP > enemy HP remaining, and they cannot KO in a single attack at their normal damage)

Steal

Steal an unequipped weapon or item.

So yeah I know most of these aren't 'original' but they're things that could have happened, to some degree.

Killer: The user cannot Critical. Crit% chance to Double ATK.

[Effectively turns a Crit into a Jugdral Crit [x2 ATK instead of x3 Damage]]

Eclipse: Execute Astra and Luna simultaneously. [Attack 5 times at Half Damage, and negate half the enemy's DEF]

SKL/3%

Nova: Execute Astra and Sol simultaneously. [Attack 5 times at Half Damage, and heal 50% of the damage dealt]

SKL/3%

Aurora: Damage taken at range is reflected. [Essentially Counter for non-melee attacks]

--

Enemy Only:

Galeforce+: Act again after killing a unit. [No limit to activations]

Lethality+: Negate Dual Guard/Miracle. Always Kill on contact.

Counter+: Adjacent Damage taken is always dealt to the attacker. [basically, Counter... that doesn't care if it's user died or not]

Aurora+: Ranged Damage taken is always dealt to the attacker.

Ignis+: 100% Activation of Ignis.

Vengeance+: Adds Accrued Damage to attacks. [basically, Vengeance (with 100% activation) but instead of MissingHP/2 it's just Missing HP.]

Masterbreaker: Adds 50 Hit/Avoid if the enemy is equipped with a Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Tome. [breaks EVERYTHING]

Eclipse: Execute Astra and Luna simultaneously. [Attack 5 times at Half Damage, and negate half the enemy's DEF]

SKL/3%

Nova: Execute Astra and Sol simultaneously. [Attack 5 times at Half Damage, and heal 50% of the damage dealt]

SKL/3%

Aurora: Damage taken at range is reflected. [Essentially Counter for non-melee attacks]

--

Enemy Only:

Counter+: Adjacent Damage taken is always dealt to the attacker. [basically, Counter... that doesn't care if it's user died or not]

Vengeance+: Adds Accrued Damage to attacks. [basically, Vengeance (with 100% activation) but instead of MissingHP/2 it's just Missing HP.]

Masterbreaker: Adds 50 Hit/Avoid if the enemy is equipped with a Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Tome. [breaks EVERYTHING]

Logically, I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense. I mean, how do you counter something if you're dead? If you watch, counter users raise thier arm in a vauge attack-like motionwhile countering. They... wouldn't be able to do that when they are dead.

Also, am I the only one who is upset Deadeye was replaced with Hit +20? Especially FE9 Deadeye.

Logically, I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense. I mean, how do you counter something if you're dead? If you watch, counter users raise thier arm in a vauge attack-like motionwhile countering. They... wouldn't be able to do that when they are dead.

Also, am I the only one who is upset Deadeye was replaced with Hit +20? Especially FE9 Deadeye.

Vantage doesn't make a whole lot of sense either though.

[seriously, try writing it. Not fun. I spent hours trying to explain vantage, and couldn't do it.]

And... How do Walls kill Hector?

I'd say that the Counter+/Aurora+ would just be more-or-less Magic bombs/hexes and would have a different animation.

Deadeye: Double Accuracy [with an active that sends enemies to sleep]. ...Umm... yeah. That'd be... Hawkeye for most applications (considering sleep isn't an effect in Awakening).

I liked the sleep condition. It's the reason I want Deadeye back. And it would be a boon for the usefulness of having Archer as a reclass with the doubling of hit. Because right now, Bowfaire and Bowbreaker are all the skills it gives that are worthwhile, IMO, unless you want to Rally bot, which is better off a job given to Palla or some other Einherjar so you don't waste offensive usefulness on any FE13 character.

And the only way walls kill anyone really is through the devil axe curse. So it's really the axe killing him, not the wall...

I think Vantage is a sort of 'Mind Reader' type thing. It also could just show good speed to pre-empt opponents, since it's usually associated with the Myrimidons.

SKL/3%

SKL/3%

These are pretty good ideas, I just can't see which of the current classes could have them

Since even losing a single unit is not something most players like to deal with, maybe having you perform another full action after attacking (without the need to kill the unit) could be a better alternative.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean with the bolded part.

Kinda what Glaceon Mage said, why would you counter while dead?

Having a skill that counters at 1-2 range could be a better alternative IMO

Perfect for Grima. Just imagine:

Ignis+

Dragonskin

Aegis+

Pavise+

Hawkeye (or maybe your idea of Master Breaker or mine of a 1~2 range Counter)

Agree with every point on this one.

Are Dragon/Beaststones not listed there to give Manakete/Taguel more uses or did you just forget to list them?

Steal

Steal an unequipped weapon or item

This one would have been nice, but something would have to be made to prevent players from stealing the impossible forges.

I would have liked to have canto innate to mounted units instead of Galeforce if we are talking about skills from previous FEs too.

Edited by Tonton

Ignis Solar: Sol+Ignis (Dread Fighter only, replace Agressor for MU+children)

Ignis Lunar: Luna+Ignis (Bride, replace Bond for MU+children)

Ignis Aetherial: Morgan gets this should she get Aether

These are pretty good ideas, I just can't see which of the current classes could have them

Since even losing a single unit is not something most players like to deal with, maybe having you perform another full action after attacking (without the need to kill the unit) could be a better alternative.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean with the bolded part.

Kinda what Glaceon Mage said, why would you counter while dead?

Having a skill that counters at 1-2 range could be a better alternative IMO

Ignis+

Dragonskin

Aegis+

Pavise+

Agree with every point on this one.

Are Dragon/Beaststones not listed there to give Manakete/Taguel more uses or did you just forget to list them?

This one would have been nice, but something would have to be made to prevent players from stealing the impossible forges.

I would have liked to have canto innate to mounted units instead of Galeforce if we are talking about skills from previous FEs too.

Galeforce+ is just a "screw you" skill. It'd basically only affect Ironman or Casual players, but so does regular enemy Galeforce. That idea of "attack get action" would be more Canto [use up remaining movement after action]/Canto+[get two actions per turn].

The Counter/Aurora+ deals are essentially, if you hit them and kill with just the lead, you're boned unless your HP > theirs. I.E. they'd have damage caps at HP instead of HP-1. [Meaning they can actually kill on the defense.] Counter+/Aurora+ on the same unit would require Dual Striking (or Mire poke) to survive. [if you slam a Counter+ with 80 HP with a singular 108 damage hit, your unit takes 80 damage... which unless HP tonic was up, that'd kill you.]

Lethality+ is essentially if the attack HITS, you die, no ifs, ands, or buts. Kill before it kills you. [Esp. if the enemy has... Hawkeye/Lethal+, which'd be mean, and if these obviously L+ skills were actually there, it'd make avoiding the Slambush that much more important.]

Yeah, Dragonstones/Beaststones aren't affected by Masterbreaker since ...they kinda suck.

I want to see something like Pressure from the Pokemon games which makes attackers use multiple weapons uses per attack. AT would lower that number by one instead of cancelling it.

I'd also like to see RG buffed (though it would still be Grima only, and maybe a handful of late Apo stuff) so that it always gives the user the best RNG roll possible. If they have any listed hit, they will hit. If they have any proc rate for their skills, their skills will proc. If their foe doesn't have 100% hit rate, they will miss. Enemy Dual Guards/Procs/Dual Strikes will always fail unless they're at 100%. Etc...

This is another change to an old skill, but I'd like to see Galeforce only activate when you damage but fail to KO an enemy (still once per turn).

It would also be cool to see a skill that swaps around your enemy's Str and Mag when in combat. It would probably be a Lunatic+ skill (or at least Lunatic/Apo) but its presence would make classes like Grandmaster/Dark Knight better and make it worthwhile to carry Bolt Axes around more often.

Finally, this isn't really a skill, but I wish they would bring back Skill Weight. I loved the way Badges worked in the first two Paper Marios, and this is the closest FE has gotten to that. Of course, it would require a change in the way skills are acquired...

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

You can just lock the weapons, similar to how FE10 steal worked. Or alternatively weapons get de-forged when stolen, similar to venin weapons becoming Iron ones when stolen in FE5.

And wow, how did I forget Canto as a skill? That would have been nice to have available somewhere, probably in place of Galeforce as you say (although as cool an idea as Galeforce is, it's kinda broken. But since we're on the topic of skills, I'd have probably made Galeforce: After killing an enemy, you may make another attack (once per turn). So make a kill, you would get a Canto like menu for the unit with options Attack or Wait. No Switch, no items (not even to change equipment), just attack or stop.

Actually, way back when I was playing Awakening regularly, I had some ideas I thought would be cool as new DLC. Basically these would be available from some DLC pack, which would culminate in a final challenge above the level of Apotheosis. These skills are all extremely powerful but have a significant condition on use:

A single unit may only use one of the following skills OR Limit Breaker (OR Dragonskin, which would also be an available skill here).

Cosmos

In game: Gives Sol, Luna and Astra skills, which can activate together. Trigger: Skl% each

Notes: This does not replace the Astra, Luna and Sol skills if a user has them - if they do, and this fails to activate any of it's three skills (each has a SKL% chance - including Astra), then another skill can activate. Each skill has it's own trigger percentage, and these skills can trigger at the same time. Priority is Aether > Cosmos > Astra. If any skill in Cosmos activates, no further skills are checked. Combined skill effects are:

Astra + Luna: 5 attacks. Enemies defence is halved, then damage is halved.

Astra + Sol: 5 attacks. Damage is halved, then you heal half for each hit.

Luna + Sol: A single attack. Enemy defence is halved, then you heal half for each hit.

Astra + Luna + Sol: 5 attacsk. Enemies defence is halved, then your damage is halved, then you heal half of that for each hit.

Deadeye

In game: Doubles hit and critical rates.

Notes: This doubles your hit and critical rates before factoring in enemy avoid and dodge. In other words, it's basically guaranteed hits and with enough crit boosts or the right setup, can be guaranteed crits as well.

Heart of Agility

In game: Increases Speed by as much as your Luck.

Notes: This boosts your SPD stat by your character's Luck, ignoring all other bonuses. So if your character has e.g. 43 LUK base and a +22 LUK bonus from pair ups, rallies, weapon etc. then they would get +43 SPD only. I can't remember what the name I had for this skill was now either :(.

I think that I might have had one more skill in there, but I can't remember what it was. But the idea was to give choices between the universal boost (Limit Breaker), Massive but random offence (Cosmos), consistent offence (Deadeye), consistent defence (Dragonskin) or massive avoid/consistent doubling (Heart of Agility). And since you can only use one per character, the final map would be designed so you would benefit from probably having all of them to some degree (although no doubt, people would find gamebreaking combos which work on it much like VV is for Apotheosis now).

Ignis+

Dragonskin

Aegis+

Pavise+

CsU9h8k.png

Instead of a freaking pointless Rightful God on Future of Despair 3.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Well I probably should have clarified.

Sumia and Olivia are pretty much... almost the same.

Olivia variety just has Vantage, Swordfaire, and slightly more physical mods.

I don't get what's the big deal with it on min-maxers... well the benefits go to Azure/Inigo obviously...

Meh, eugenics.

Skill: Harem

Class/Level: Tactician/1

Effect: You can have as many waifus/husbandos as you want.

And that is all I ask for.

PuVd6se.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

Well, the big deal with Chrom x Olivia for me is that I like Lunatic(+), like abuse but not grinding, and thus Olivia offers me an opportunity to get some pretty great bases on Lucina and her sibling. I still use Sumia a lot though because then she's trained up enough to fight and Olivia doesn't have to choose between fighting and dancing (basically I get another unit). It's very close, and I keep going back and forth.

Well, the big deal with Chrom x Olivia for me is that I like Lunatic(+), like abuse but not grinding, and thus Olivia offers me an opportunity to get some pretty great bases on Lucina and her sibling.

Definition of grinding:

"Grinding is a term used in video gaming to describe the process of engaging in repetitive tasks during video games."

That's dance grinding.

"Abuse" would be use of the water trick on the prologue.

Well, my definition of grinding (in FE13) happens to be different than that. Maybe it wasn't the best word to use, but the point is that I don't like fighting extra battles but do like dragging out the ones I'm in to get more out of them (which is why I don't like Normal/Hard, they make that too easy).