How do you pronounce the 'th' sound?

Wist

Tongue Placement  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you put your tongue to pronounce 'th'?

• Underneath my top teeth.
    • Behind my upper top teeth.
    • I use switch depending on the specific sound.
    • I don't know, understand, or care.

I just learned that my sisters say both 'th' sounds (the one used in "thick" and the one used in "this") differently than I do. The topic came up because I had noticed that my little brother (who is seven years old) still cannot consistently produce the sound used in "thick" correctly, he usually substitutes it with an f-like sound, so I asked him how he positions his tongue.

Anyways, I pronounce both 'th' sounds with the tip of my tongue jutting out underneath my top teeth whereas my sisters place their tongues behind the upper part of their teeth. I've found it's easy to use either, but I had never before considered placing my tongue differently.

So where do you place your tongue to pronounce 'th,' underneath your teeth or behind them?

EDIT (29.08.2008):

The poll option "I use switch depending on the specific sound." should read "I switch depending on the specific sound."

Edited by Wist

I didn't mean to suggest that "the" is supposed to sound like "thick." They are two sounds represented by the same consonant cluster (the way 's' can be pronounced like a conventional 's' or a 'z', or 'g' can be pronounced hard or soft). They can, however, both be pronounced with the same tongue placements (like 'd' and 't').

Edited by Wist