FEWiki Suggestion/Complaint Thread

Otherarrow

No. I said avoid tags. I said that I'd only consider moving them if other people, as in people who are not just you say we should. As it stands, the word is no on the Forrest Ranger move.

I didn't forget them. I didn't add them because the former is already stated when they are editing any talk page and the later is already a wiki rule as it is and commonly known. We don't want to treat our users like they are idiots.

Edited by Otherarrow

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I said avoid tags. I said that I'd only consider moving them if other people, as in people who are not just you say we should. As it stands, the word is no on the Forrest Ranger move.

I didn't forget them. I didn't add them because the former is already stated when they are editing any talk page and the later is already a wiki rule as it is and commonly known. We don't want to treat our users like they are idiots.

Ok, but stop being mean to me on the FE Wiki, I didn't realized that was a no, I was just trying to help out. I just told you before that I'm disabled and trying to help out. Sorry, that I did on the Ranger pages, but I was trying to help out, not to mess up.

Edited by King Marth 64

Why am I not surprised that the majority of King Marth's post is complaining about the names not being absolutely perfect? Forgive me if I am rude here, but King Marth nitpicking filenames is something that has been grating on my nerves for a while.

As long as the filename is correct and gets across what the the thing is, it doesn't matter if it uses an outdated name, or if it refers to the specfic game it was ripped from, or if it doesn't go into perfect detail. I really don't think anyone is going to care that there are some relics in the file names from before we had official names via Awakening or if a general GBA sprite that was ripped from FE8 specifically is labeled FE8, or even notice. These kinds of things happen. As long as they can tell what it is and it is properly categorized and implemented, it doesn't matter. Likewise, the icons Shadow of Chaos (or is it one word?) uploaded name the character and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that FE13 style sprites named for FE13 characters categorized as FE13 images are from FE13. We never demanded absolute perfection with filenames. As long as it stats what the file is clear enough, it passes as far as I am concerned.

It doesn't matter what you refer to me as. As long as I can tell it's me being referred to. But it is one word. *shrug*

See, I agree with you even in the little strikethrough joke above about my name. As long as it's practical and you can tell what it is... who cares?

However, seeing as nothing will pretty much go through to "the hero", as long as he's not screwing up links or anything, I've learned to pretty much ignore his antics. Though I think it's going to give you more headaches considering your position, Mr. FE Wiki admin... my condolences and support.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Ok, but stop being mean on the FE Wiki, I don't think that was a no, I just don't know that was part of a no, I was just trying to help out. I just told you before that I'm disabled and trying to help out.

I'm not being "mean" to you. I am trying to discipline you for doing something wrong and basically doing damage control. And I'll be honest, I am a little confused and irritated here, since you somehow managed to mangle a "refusal, but with room for further input" into a straight go ahead without asking for further confirmation because this just happened to be your idea. I dunno.

If anything, you should have asked for further clarification, since I obviously don't know the extent of your disability. I am sorry if this sounds really rude, but you can't just play the "I'm disabled" card and expect to not be held accountable at all.

Anyway, we shouldn't derail this thread with this. Sorry for the trouble.

Edited by Otherarrow

Have you ever seen the UESP wiki?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

It's divided based on game, probably at least in part to keep pages from getting overly cluttered. So if this were to be applied to an FE wiki, there would be an FE1:Iron sword page, FE2:Iron sword page, FE3:Iron sword page, and so on. I find it to be a very effective sorting system for a series of games.

It would be quite an overhaul, though.

While the Japanese wikis I've been browsing just get straight to the point and give me the information I need (such as scripts or stats and such)...

For example: http://www18.atwiki.jp/fireemblem3ds/pages/20.html

The barebones approach doesn't work with the English speaking part of the internet.

And as I read it mentioned before... while the information is lacking on the Fire Emblem Wiki... their presentation and theme that is visually appealing give me more incentive to look at pages than the Wikia.

Though it really leads me to disappointment just even looking at how barebones each of the Awakening characters have it. Sorely disappointed just looking at Olivia's and Sumia's pages.

Information about them is much more thorough in the corresponding wikia pages for said characters.

Olivia

Sumia

Edited by shadowofchaos

The Japanese wikis kind of emulate the old days of fact-based sites (like Pegasus Knight and ChinaFE), which SF is also emulating to a degree. Except we have more media and special features. So you can't really look to them for inspiration.

Have you ever seen the UESP wiki?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

It's divided based on game, probably at least in part to keep pages from getting overly cluttered. So if this were to be applied to an FE wiki, there would be an FE1:Iron sword page, FE2:Iron sword page, FE3:Iron sword page, and so on. I find it to be a very effective sorting system for a series of games.

It would be quite an overhaul, though.

I am not sure that individual pages for every appearance of every weapon would be feasible (for one, there'd be a lot of stub pages) but looking around at the wiki you linked, it doesn't do that necessarily, and instead has lists of weapons, with their stats and all, grouped together on a page by game, allowing for quick comparison of weapons of the same type from the same game. Though at the same time, I also like having all of the stats for, say, the Iron Sword at the same place as well, again, for quick comparison. No reason we can't do both however.

The weapon list for Awakening already does that btw, and Xeno and I have considered trying to work out a way to do that for everything. I wonder if we can also sort all weapons of the same type together as well (for example, all swords side by side)?

While the Japanese wikis I've been browsing just get straight to the point and give me the information I need (such as scripts or stats and such)...

For example: http://www18.atwiki.jp/fireemblem3ds/pages/20.html

The barebones approach doesn't work with the English speaking part of the internet.

And as I read it mentioned before... while the information is lacking on the Fire Emblem Wiki... their presentation and theme that is visually appealing give me more incentive to look at pages than the Wikia.

Though it really leads me to disappointment just even looking at how barebones each of the Awakening characters have it. Sorely disappointed just looking at Olivia's and Sumia's pages.

Information about them is much more thorough in the corresponding wikia pages for said characters.

Olivia

Sumia

Yeah, I've commented before that I can't deny that the other wiki is a lot prettier and presented better than ours is. I've been trying to set up a default page layout and such, but I admit visuals are beyond my capabilities. As you've probably noticed, I can barely pick out good colors. I envy their good looks and wish I could set the wiki up to look nearly a fraction as stylish. The more compact and colorful Charstat templates are a start. (...which I need to get done implementing, sorry).

Edited by Otherarrow

I do want to apologize for not helping out on the wiki the past couple of days. Been busy working on my own FE hack (ironing out the story and whatnot so that I have something to run with for showing my idea off, but that's for its own topic) as well as mass procrastination on everything else. I think it's safe to say we don't need this poll now, so you can probably remove that and put up a new poll about the Children Stat Modifiers table (though I do think #2 on that list is what we'll be using. I just need to figure out why the colors aren't working now lol...maybe JBed or Drake would know about that, so if you can, ask them. I bet whatever the FFWiki is using for their tables is embedded in the CSS or JS file for them).

It may still be a while yet before I jump back into the fray on the wiki too, as I've pretty much done all that I can think of doing that I'm capable OF doing for the most part. ^^;;

I do want to apologize for not helping out on the wiki the past couple of days. Been busy working on my own FE hack (ironing out the story and whatnot so that I have something to run with for showing my idea off, but that's for its own topic) as well as mass procrastination on everything else. I think it's safe to say we don't need this poll now, so you can probably remove that and put up a new poll about the Children Stat Modifiers table (though I do think #2 on that list is what we'll be using. I just need to figure out why the colors aren't working now lol...maybe JBed or Drake would know about that, so if you can, ask them. I bet whatever the FFWiki is using for their tables is embedded in the CSS or JS file for them).

It may still be a while yet before I jump back into the fray on the wiki too, as I've pretty much done all that I can think of doing that I'm capable OF doing for the most part. ^^;;

Alright then. I've updated the poll.

Don't worry about being busy with other things and such. Take your time jumping back into the frey as you see fit. (Also, I for one can't really fault you for procrastination without looking hypocritical)

EDIT: I still don't fully get how polls work. Sorry for the technical difficulties everyone.

Edited by Otherarrow

looking around at the wiki you linked, it doesn't do that necessarily, and instead has lists of weapons, with their stats and all, grouped together on a page by game, allowing for quick comparison of weapons of the same type from the same game.

Maybe the weapons were a bad example. Characters and locations, though, have different pages for their appearances in different games. I think this would also be good for classes, so the class pages could be written based on how they are in a specific game rather than generalizations across the whole series, which are often difficult.

Oh, I get what you mean. Yeah, you have a point there, it would be probably better to split (or at least divide into subpages) at least the classes by game. We don't have much now in terms of class stats and growths, due to a glaring gap in our coverage that I somehow never noticed, but once we get those things I can see the class pages becoming rather cluttered. Also, a more game specific overview would probably be more helpful for the reader anyway, yes.

It's definitely an idea worth looking into.

Edited by Otherarrow

Here's a new one for you guys. Concerning gifs: Would you prefer the GIFs, if done, to be in-game or not in-game? This is mostly in relation to things such as in-battle animations for spells and criticals and the like (we have some like that for criticals. Just that they're not all on the Critical page), but thought I'd run this by.

Like, in-game referring to the attack gifs being taken from game footage and not in game being just the animations?

We've had the latter for the longest time, and it is convenient to use alongside solitary sprites in the galleries, but I do think that the former does provide some necessary context, you know? I guess it's a case by case basis kinda thing for me.

I didn't record those at all. Those are from the wiki that I grabbed them from. Any GIFs that I have uploaded all came from Let's Plays on Something Awful or the LP Archive therefore (I wish I could do GIFs. Otherwise, the wiki would have a lot more in the way of GIFs...).

When it comes to gifs, I record them to avi uncompressed on Virtualboy Advance and then rip the frames from the "save image sequence" function from VirtualdubMod.

The same way I do for map sprites for FE13.

...or anything in general.

tumblr_mvrb43r2l01rmzb08o2_400.giftumblr_mvrb43r2l01rmzb08o7_400.gif

Edited by shadowofchaos

When it comes to gifs, I record them to avi uncompressed on Virtualboy Advance and then rip the frames from the "save image sequence" function from VirtualdubMod.

The same way I do for map sprites for FE13.

...or anything in general.

tumblr_mvrb43r2l01rmzb08o2_400.giftumblr_mvrb43r2l01rmzb08o7_400.gif

Seems roundabout but the results look good. I'll give this a shot.