FEditor text editing problem?

jjl2357

When I try to use FEditor to edit text, the game will crash as soon as it tries to display said text.

The only workaround I've found so far is to write all the text to a clean ROM... I looked around on the forums and all the solutions say to click save on FEditor before doing anything. But I tried that and it still crashes the game. :\

There has to be a way to change text on a hacked ROM... help?

What programs have you used so far?

Have you been writing any new data to any particular addresses e.g. event data?

Have you got more than one program open at once?

I have also been having issues with FEditor Text Editor (is it alright for me to post here since it's a similar problem?). I put in my text and a portrait, but when it went to display the text/portrait, it did not and the game hung indefinitely. I did check this with another portrait, and it worked fine with it (then with another one that it worked fine with, another that it hung indefinitely on), and then finally tried the very first portrait that had hung the game up and it loaded everything just fine. Is there something that I'm missing that FEditor doesn't like? I only have FEditor and Event Assembler open for editing the rom file (EA only to reassemble the thing since it likes to revert back to previous stuff).

Originally, I had thought it was an issue with the portraits themselves until the portrait actually worked the last time I tried...

I've read the posts, sorry for the delay jj, didn't realise you'd replied. I will give detailed answer in a few hours when I get home, so hang tight.

Okay, I actually think I might have found what went wrong. Previously I was testing overwriting Seth and Eirika's dialogue in the Prologue (the "I can see no more of Grado's men" stuff) and if I tried to change the text, even so much as change one letter, the ROM would crash whenever it came to that text.

After I text edited after inserting a portrait though, the text worked just fine. I'll run some more tests, but I think that it might really just turn out to be FEditor needing you to have made some sort of change in it before saving your file.

Edited by jjl2357