【東方】 Yet Another Touhou Draft

Scarlet

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b) there is a wave that's too dense and I'll need to move along with the wave for a while before continuing the micrododging,

You can see it coming, though. And even if you don't, the rhythm of the spellcard is always the same, so you should eventually get a feel for when it comes even without actually looking out for it. Besides, while the spirits' version isn't quite as dense at that part, going around the dense part rather than going through it is still easier in their case.

e) an early bomb is inevitable, whether it be a panic bomb or a deathbomb

How is it inevitable?

I do admit BoWaP has a shitload of HP, though.

I'm not sure how that happens unless you spend way too long on her non-spell...

Depends on how I deal with her non-spell. I have a feeling I'm always doing it wrong, and I'm not kidding when I say I've lost more bombs (and sometimes even lives) to Parsee's midboss-nonspell than to anything else she has to offer. :newyears:

However, I generally graze a lot of bullets withhin a short time frame during her non-spell, which obviously builds up the gauge, especially on Hard and Lunatic where she fires double waves.

Also, according to Fera, she supposedly does have a hitbox but it's so incredibly tiny that you won't find it even when you're trying to find it. But he apparently got hit by it once so it apparently exists.

I'm willing to bet that he actually got hit by something else; if she had a hitbox, I would have found it, no matter how small it may be. Trust me. xD

Does my reaction to Kalas-chan's warping comment make sense now?

...not quite, because I don't really see how ReimuA's warp ability makes Grandpa Hanaka easier. If anything, using it makes it harder because you'll get overlapping bullet lines, since Parsee always aims directly at you. ;/

I can handle micrododging; in fact, it's really fun. Mimicking Parsee's movement is not really the problem. The stationary bullets, yeah, that's most likely what gets to me. I just can't handle stationary bullets. At all. I know how silly this sounds, but I'm not joking when I say that I probably have more trouble with stationary bullets than any other types of bullet waves. It might sound like stationary bullets is just an easier form of micrododging moving bullets, but trust me, they just aren't the same. I fail hard at stationary bullets.

I see. Yeah, that does make sense to some extent (you can just let moving bullets pass by with minimal movement of your own, whereas against stationary bullets all the movement has to be done by you).

But you still bomb though. ReimuA can warp to trivialize the spirits, MarisaB's Water Sign annihilates them if she has enough power. Outside those two scenarios, I imagine it'd be really tough to clear them without bombing...

Not always.

ReimuB and ReimuC should also have a decently easy time with them (ReimuB's shots are somewhat homing and will help you actually hit the spirits, and ReimuC can take them out from pretty much anywhere because of her aiming), as well as MarisaA if you happen to have 6 or more Power left (spread shot in focus yo).

Pretty much the only shot type that is sool when it comes to this part is MarisaC. :newyears:

Ooooh, what's it like?

It's macrododging huge and very fast bullets that wrap around the screen. Think Yuugi's "Wind blowing down from Mt. Ooe", except with a lot less bullets. They are, however, about as large as Okuu's suns and much faster.

As for ReimuC's aim: while useful, ReimuC does completely fall apart in spellcards that require quick unfocused movement, as that screws up her aim. In those she might functionally just as well always be at 0 Power lol.

@Fera: No Bomb Clear? Are you serious? @_@

So I tried to replace (insert name here) with myself. The resulting conversation was quite amusing.

You can see it coming, though. And even if you don't, the rhythm of the spellcard is always the same, so you should eventually get a feel for when it comes even without actually looking out for it. Besides, while the spirits' version isn't quite as dense at that part, going around the dense part rather than going through it is still easier in their case.

Then again, if you're actually serious about the comparison with pre-Okuu spirits, it's possible that I'll have a much easier time with BoWaP now. I haven't actually tried ReimuA in quite a while. I kinda stopped trying to SA once I discovered the keyboard problem that screwing me over in Stage 5, which was sometime last year. I've improved a lot since then, and if I can micrododge with Marisa's giant hitbox, I might be able to BoWaP with Reimu.

How is it inevitable?

I meant, for me. I do still think BoWaP has too much influence on SA progress though. The bomb chain costs too much resources and needs to be averted to enter Stage 5 without a severe handicap.

I do admit BoWaP has a shitload of HP, though.

I think this applies to all of Satori's final spells, at least in proportion to the shot power. I haven't even seen all of them though, but I think BoWaP was the only one that was completely continuous.

Depends on how I deal with her non-spell. I have a feeling I'm always doing it wrong, and I'm not kidding when I say I've lost more bombs (and sometimes even lives) to Parsee's midboss-nonspell than to anything else she has to offer. :newyears:

However, I generally graze a lot of bullets withhin a short time frame during her non-spell, which obviously builds up the gauge, especially on Hard and Lunatic where she fires double waves.

Seriously? I'll admit, the gaps are really tiny, but the bullets are really slow... As long as the arrowheads don't outright overlap with each other, you should be able to slip between the gap.

I'm willing to bet that he actually got hit by something else; if she had a hitbox, I would have found it, no matter how small it may be. Trust me. xD

It's what I think too. I actually went into Practice Mode and tried to find the hitbox but never found anything.

...not quite, because I don't really see how ReimuA's warp ability makes Grandpa Hanaka easier. If anything, using it makes it harder because you'll get overlapping bullet lines, since Parsee always aims directly at you. ;/

Having just seen Kalas-chan's replay of it, I can see that it definitely makes it easier... at least for someone like me that can't handle stationary bullets. Warping basically lets you keep moving in a single direction only. The flowers should disappear by the time you almost complete the loop (unless you move too fast), thus eliminating the need to deal with the stationary flowers.

I still prefer MarisaB's circular (more like rectangular) approach, because of Metal Sign and Water Sign not caring about Parsee moving, and Earth Sign's high power.

I see. Yeah, that does make sense to some extent (you can just let moving bullets pass by with minimal movement of your own, whereas against stationary bullets all the movement has to be done by you).

Yeah, that might be it. I prefer reactive dodging, which may also explain why I have issues with aimed stuff like Swallowtail Butterfly and Sinker Ghost, where I have to plan ahead and dodge before the bullets become an immediate threat.

Not always.

ReimuB and ReimuC should also have a decently easy time with them (ReimuB's shots are somewhat homing and will help you actually hit the spirits, and ReimuC can take them out from pretty much anywhere because of her aiming), as well as MarisaA if you happen to have 6 or more Power left (spread shot in focus yo).

Oh, yeah, MarisaA has focused spread (which reminds me of how I dropped MarisaA almost solely because the focused and unfocused shots were reversed from my preference). MarisaB has issues when she's below 3.00 Power too.

Pretty much the only shot type that is sool when it comes to this part is MarisaC. :newyears:

Poor Nitori... Can she at least bomb and then utilize the split second of invincibility to move between the bullets and continue dodging to receive 0.50 Power back?

It's macrododging huge and very fast bullets that wrap around the screen. Think Yuugi's "Wind blowing down from Mt. Ooe", except with a lot less bullets. They are, however, about as large as Okuu's suns and much faster.

I have enough trouble with Wind blowing from Mt Ooe already. I mean, I can sometimes capture it if I try, but it's too easy to screw up. It feels a lot like Mountain of Faith, except Mountain of Faith allowed me to dodge to the edge of the screen whereas the Ooe equivalent involves colliding with Yuugi or at least be vertically distant enough from her to not hit her. If they were as big as Okuu's suns...

As for ReimuC's aim: while useful, ReimuC does completely fall apart in spellcards that require quick unfocused movement, as that screws up her aim. In those she might functionally just as well always be at 0 Power lol.

According to Fera, the 0 Power shot gets weaker as you grow, thus forcing you to rely on your options instead. That being said, I can't really recall a lot of spellcards outside of Mt Ooe which require quick unfocused movement. Aside from short, infrequent bursts, which probably shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

@Fera: No Bomb Clear? Are you serious? @_@

This is Fera. His obsession with SA is incredible. I blame Okuu.

Edited by Railgun

Poor Nitori... Can she at least bomb and then utilize the split second of invincibility to move between the bullets and continue dodging to receive 0.50 Power back?

Activating the shield doesn't give you invincibility, only actually setting it off does. So in order to get invincibiliy and still receive 0.50 Power back, you'd have to deathbomb.

According to Fera, the 0 Power shot gets weaker as you grow, thus forcing you to rely on your options instead.

True, I forgot about that. In that case, being at 0 Power would actually be preferable against those lol.

This is Fera. His obsession with SA is incredible. I blame Okuu.

too bad this game doesn't have Youmu

it'd be an

ageless obsession

ahahahaha I'm going to bed

[spoiler=yet another opportunity to laugh at someone else's misery, it's Proto's PCB analysis]

Stage 1: YOU MOVE SO VERY LITTLE
MOVE YER ASS AND GET SOME P-BLOOD
SHAMEFUR DISPRAY TO BEST SHOT TYEP

Letty: Nothing worth writing home about.

Stage 2: Yep, that's a fine-ass Stage 2. Played a little safely, but eh.

Chen: Paradise should be warm.

Stage 3: I'm pretty sure that post-Alice2 border was unplanned but damn does it look solid.

Alice: SakuyaA makes this shit look so boring. Seriously. Also you blew a border on a stage clear, ouch, lol.

Stage 4: Muh point items ;_; Panic bomb and death to Lily. PoFV flashbacks are grim. More deaths and panic bombs. At least something's happening.

Prismrivers: Dying to Merlin's first nonspell :V Not sure why you went left on Prism Concerto when you could've just sat in the middle and drank some tea. Neat capture on Lunasa though, totally thought you'd die.

Stage 5: Muh point items ;_; Silly pre-midboss death, and another death after. You're really throwing around those lives like salt and pepper.

Youmu: Panic bomb on nonsp-- double bomb. Triple bomb! You stay really high up during Delusion of Enlightenment, but I guess that worked out for you. Dat slo-mo Deva death. You can almost hear the deliciously pained cries in a certain dorm room. I thought you had Deva figured out.

Stage 6: I envy SakuyaA's ability to just chill in a corner during the entirety of Ageless Obsession. Dang. Also: Your Cherry is beyond dead. Like it's chillin' in frozen-over purgatory by this point. Wow.

Yuyuko:
First nonspell - I don't think you can say anything about me dying to Fatal Sin. Nii-nii pls.
Fatal Sin - I never noticed those huge gaps. I guess they're homing-type exclusive lounges.
Second nonspell - Hilarious gap where you weren't actually hitting anything at the end with a homing shot.
Mortality - Dead Butterfly - Good deathbomb.
Third nonspell - Typical SakuyaA style of sit at the side and eat scones.
Swallowtail Butterfly - Bomb m8 wot r u doin
Fourth nonspell - Nothing worth writing about
Hirokawa - YOU ALMOST CAPTURED IT FK
Getting Lost - That was a weird border break. I didn't see you collide with anything. Pressed the X button? That death was you getting lost I guess. It doesn't seem like a very hard card with SakuyaA!
Resurrection Butterfly - Eh, I totally thought that 10th second bullet was dodgeable. Guess it's just the pressure of a full-minute survival card.

That was a weird border break. I didn't see you collide with anything. Pressed the X button?

I sometimes do that on purpose if I don't need the Border Bonus, considering it's essentially a free bomb. :V

Made Extra and Phantasm even easier than they already are lol.

I don't know how I failed so hard against Lily. Stage 4 in general was really bad.

I almost always captured Delusion of Enlightenment so yeah, it works for me. I know how to deal with Deva but I don't always see what I need to see during that short period of time, so yeah, it's pretty easy to screw up on. This applies to Fasting of the Young Gaki as well.

Hey, HEY, Fatal Sin is a really easy spell and you were totally doing it wrong. You don't try to dodge the bullets from the middle because the laser is gonna go there anyway. You'd still dodge the arrowheads at the sides and take every opportunity to hit Yuyuko while moving from one side to another.

Not hitting anything with the homing shot? You sure I wasn't hitting the giant symbol? It does a little damage to Yuyuko...

Hirokawa was me failing under pressure. I knew, rationally, that I needed to dodge to the right, to deal with the upcoming streaming butterflies. But I instinctively dodged to the left, possibly because the left looked safer at the time, resulting in failure. Note that Hirokawa and Prism Concerto are the only two spells that I regret not capturing (not including Resurrection Buetterfly, which I've never captured before).

Getting Lost is easy by itself but after going through stages 1-6, it can be really intense dodging the final few spells and such. As for Resurrection Butterfly, the 10-second red butterflies tend to be very annoying >_<