• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

finished playing quartett here's my thoughts on it

the entire visual novel can probably be played in one day - yes, it's that short, but i guess the budget went into the art and cgs, which i'll get into right now

the art and presentation is absolutely gorgeous and unique - the artist uses some incredibly soft shades for the backgrounds - even better is that there are practically no sprites in the game

the entire game is composed of cgs in a comic format and floating text boxes - revolutionary, and makes it feel more like an animated comic book with sound rather than an actual visual novel. or i could say, it's more VISUAL than novel. i have no complaints about the art at all, i don't think you could get any better than what was already in the game. also really liked the setting of the game - it's ambiguously european

being a vn focused on music, you'd usually expect the music to be good - it isn't good, it's absolutely great, all the tracks are classical tracks mostly using... a quartet (see? the title?) and it makes you feel like you're really in a music school. voice acting is also nice, miyuki sawashiro's performance of giselle is A+.

here's where my complaints come in, the story is too short for what this is and the characters feel more like archetypes than real fleshed out characters. the drama feels contrived in 2 of the routes since most of the set up in the common route goes for one girl, and after a certain scene the focus is shifted from that to, suddenly, the girl of the route you landed on. the problems are shown in passing, yeah, but it just hits you with them and keeps steering that way. basically the common route takes up most of the game and it focuses on one girl's problems more than the rest so it feels as if the other routes are tacked on. this is incredibly apparent if you take shuhua's route, which completely drops the ball - you go from heartwarming slice of life violin antics to the heroine's grandpa ordering a hitman to wipe protag-kun off the face of earth for influencing his granddaughter (that he was, uh, abusing.) juni's problems are at least mentioned - just a little before the route lock - and just enough to provide context. but shuhua's route? it not only jumps the shark, it decides to do a flip while doing so. i was also disappointed that some of the side characters didn't have routes but at least you have material of them in the fandisc

i forgot to mention this, but they also cram in all the h-scenes near the end of the game (and they are long + have several different cgs for just one h-scene) and the epilogues are vague enough to leave you guessing - the final FINAL one is nice closure

charl > juni > shuhua, routewise

but hey, you don't play littlewitch games for a compelling story and characters - you play it for the ART and the aesthetics

i'd recommend that you play it even with the problems it has, very nice game and also short enough to not waste your time

BD8Tum.png