Hello, Hi, Hey: I'm $$$ richh

I wasn't that much a fan of the Silmarilion.

I understand why it have to be that way, but the black and white vision here was seriously bothering me.

Tokien is somewhat I respect more than I appreciate in general actually.

• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

What difficulty did he do the run on?

Easy, it's effectively the standard difficulty for Ys speedrunning (though he does have the Very Easy WR too, haha). I guess there's also a possibility he did the run segmented since he hasn't uploaded a video or anything, though I'm certain he's at least not one to cheat.

Edited by Topazd

But I always play FE blind.

8]

It's really hard playing a video game without looking at the screen...

Sorry, had to do it...

Moral greys in tolkien would be very. very strange for the setting.

The whole thing I take as basically an allegory for tolkien's religious beliefs, however it's still quite enchanting even if you're not into that.

It feels like poetry to read though, and it has a certain beauty to it...that would sort of be crushed without the black and white.

Don't get me wrong though, I love moral grey (read george rr martin if you're into that, lol).

I can got that.

But lack of moral greys makes me usually root for the villain (That was I was rooting for Team Rocket in the Pokémon anime btw.).

They're the one failing. So, they're the ones who are human.

I could thengo on a long talk about what it means to be a hero, but that would end up a confusing mess...

(In short, Live a Live and Tactics Ogre LUCT are my two favourite video games.)

No. He's some sort of Ainur, and apparently he's the oldest thing on the planet, save illuvatar.

So imagine he's probably one of the first ainur ever created.

I thought he was illuvatar for a while though, because of how he describes himself.

Here's a good thing I found.

He is definitely an Ainu, but just what kind I am not certain.

I'm more inclined to believe that he is a "sprite," though I don't believe that sprites are mentioned anywhere outside The Lost Tales Part I, which means there's possible canonicity issues. Sprites often seem to be servants of Maiar though, which Tom Bombadil definitely isn't. He seems to be more of a spirit of Arda, independent of all around him. He seems to be more connected with Arda and Ilúvatar than the other Ainur, but I don't think he is an incarnation of Ilúvatar Himself, simply because Ilúvatar, as the creator of Eä, has no place in it Himself. Note that the only time Ilúvatar ever directly intervened in the history of Arda was the downfall of Númenor. However minor Tom Bombadil's role may have been, it doesn't fit for Ilúvatar to intervene in the matters of Arda directly.

I wasn't that much a fan of the Silmarilion.

I understand why it have to be that way, but the black and white vision here was seriously bothering me.

I don't know. The Silmarillion has a lot of characters whose morality isn't black-and-white good or evil, like Fëanor and his sons. Still, it is mostly a tale of heroes.

It feels like poetry to read though, and it has a certain beauty to it...that would sort of be crushed without the black and white.

Tolkien was actually firmly opposed to regarding or treating his work as any kind of allegory.

I don't know. The Silmarillion has a lot of characters whose morality isn't black-and-white good or evil, like Fëanor and his sons. Still, it is mostly a tale of heroes.

It was mainly years ago, so memories are quite fuzzy, but it's mainly how the "big bad" was treated.

Their name started with a M, I think.

It was mainly years ago, so memories are quite fuzzy, but it's mainly how the "big bad" was treated.

Their name started with a M, I think.

Melkor/Morgoth, yes. He actually was the fairest and wisest of the Ainur at one point, but was consumed by a lust for power, and became bitter when the other Ainur refused to give in to his desires of becoming a tyrant. He's really clever, even after his fall. That makes him a really interesting character to me, but later on, in the War of the Jewels, his character is diminished to little more than the proud, contemptible evil Morgoth, and he only shows his cleverness occasionally (which may be attributed in part to the fragmentary nature of The Silmarillion).

Melkor/Morgoth, yes. He actually was the fairest and wisest of the Ainur at one point, but was consumed by a lust for power, and became bitter when the other Ainur refused to give in to his desires of becoming a tyrant. He's really clever, even after his fall. That makes him a really interesting character to me, but later on, in the War of the Jewels, his character is diminished to little more than the proud, contemptible evil Morgoth, and he only shows his cleverness occasionally (which may be attributed in part to the fragmentary nature of The Silmarillion).

I don't remember the details, but I remember being really bothered by all this about him.

...There are some parallel with Lucifer with him, or is it just me imagining things ?