• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

Some time last year I watched a show called Fullmetal Alchemist(2003), the third anime I have watched to completion. Of the three FMA probably stuck with me the least, not because it's bad, but more because the other two are, well, Gurren Lagann, and DBZ which has a tight hold on my nostalgia. I enjoyed FMA, though my biggest gripes were that it took a little while to get invested and that I found the ending to be very unsatisfying. Both of these ultimately left me with an "eh, it's alright" impression of the show. Fast forward to now, on a whim I have started watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, which from what I've seen is the favored of the two. I am currently 13 episodes in and felt like sharing my thoughts:

[spoiler=comparisons with '03 and (vague)general impressions]

These early episodes give me a lot of Dragon Ball Kai vibes. The speed with which this show runs through the plot quickly makes apparent how much filler FMA had, and I appreciate Brotherhood for skipping it. Like I said it took a while for me to get invested in the 2003 series, I was with this show so much faster by comparison. Also like Kai however, is that these decisions end up as a double-edged sword in some cases. Knowing that the story of Brotherhood ends up very different, it's difficult to tell if some things were cut because they foreshadowed or related to events that don't happen here, but there are some things I miss from the 2003 show now that I've noticed the absences. The big thing is the time spent with the military. I don't miss all of it, but what specifically was a loss was the development of the other characters in the military. In Brotherhood the relationships with the protagonists and these characters are just, kinda there. We don't see most of them meeting and because of the plot going by faster we only get a few instances of interaction with them. This became more apparent to me around episode 7, where things started feeling a bit rushed and then especially when,

[spoiler=this is a spoiler yo]Hughes died. His death in Brotherhood, well to be blunt, just didn't really have as much of an impact as 2003 in my opinion. Here it feels like he just gets the absolute bare minimum screen time needed to understand his character.

While on the subject of things I preferred about 2003, a couple more minor things include: more buildup for Scar and more of a presence in general, Tucker was definitely done better in '03(I could make a whole other post about that), and I preferred the lighting for some scenes.

Now after all that I actually don't have as much to say about what I prefer about Brotherhood so far, not because it's not as impactful, but because it's a lot simpler. I've been far more invested in this show than I was at the same point in the '03 series(in episodes, not story).

...Also Alphonse has a much better voice actor.

Yeah I don't really say much about how I feel about Brotherhood on its own, but hey, I've only seen 13 episodes so far.

Edited by DavidSW

RO9Gbu3.png

current supports!

snip

its probably nostalgia that makes it more impactful?

i'm not sure myself, i do admit i'm one of the many who prefer brotherhood though

its probably nostalgia that makes it more impactful?

i'm not sure myself, i do admit i'm one of the many who prefer brotherhood though

I assume you mean spoiler? Yeah seeing it first in the 2003 series crossed my mind, but I think what I said about the screen time is valid.

Despite the kind of negative tone of the post(not intentional), I am quite enjoying it so far.

I'm on ch 16 now and I'm looking up what comes next and more fights with the roundtable knights fuckin shit my irritation has gone through the roof why

I'd probably have to throw quartz or wait three days for my command seals to come back to get through this not even preparation is helping!!!

i'm just working on lancelot

all the golds may be nice but it wont fill the ozymandias shaped hole in my heart

lettuce i don't think I HAVE YOU ADDED i think my supports might be useful

i dont even think i have you added lmao

I assume you mean spoiler? Yeah seeing it first in the 2003 series crossed my mind, but I think what I said about the screen time is valid.

Despite the kind of negative tone of the post(not intentional), I am quite enjoying it so far.

ignore the movies exist like i do and the series is amazing!

Oh my...

Any particular reason for that?

tbh they just left me disappointed in general after watching them

also the "irl" rose in it was obnoxious

who do i have added

not me but my servants are all kinda "meh" except scathach lmao

and i guess my 2np lancelot???

is she tsundere

very

o nice

517,620,488 Spud I filled out all my support slots the best I could

i may add you too if its okay