• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

Hey Soooool and hello thread

I spent a lot of time on the road. And idk, long car rides make me tired (-_-)zzZ

Hey Meeeeeei, is that where you disappeared to yesterday?

I had wondered what happened, but yes, you should sleep if you're feeling tired.

But I have so much to dooo

I can't sleep now :c

Disregarding what I just said for now.

Just be extra careful since you shouldn't be working while tired, you know? ...Well that depends on what you have to do, I reckon.

Disregarding what I just said for now.

Just be extra careful since you shouldn't be working while tired, you know? ...Well that depends on what you have to do, I reckon.

Okie dokie

Right. I was thinking of taking a nap but my family is planning on going out for dinner soon. Plus I really need to start studying for my exam.

Okie dokie

Right. I was thinking of taking a nap but my family is planning on going out for dinner soon. Plus I really need to start studying for my exam.

Did you sleep during the car ride at least? Going to a buffet or a regular restaurant?

Ah, and I've probably asked this before, I think, but when is the exam?

Stellar!

Fantastic!

I'd say it is impossible for the descriptive aspect not to exist and the lack of a prescriptive approach at some point just leads to the eventual creation of yet another language that could differentiate more and more with time

but that is not really what i was getting at

my point was correcting mistakes that do not affect the message at all

lack of capitalization on a case where the meaning of the word and the sentence is a whole remain the same

a typo that has not really turned the intended word into another one that will either change the message or even void it of sense

even more so when it's clear that it was more a oversight rather than the person not knowing what would be right

and as a side question, do you think a person should be penalized in a essay for a single misplaced letter when in other instances of the same word in the same essay the spelling was done correctly?

I see. What you describe here is what I meant by 'unruly mess'; a uniform language would split into gradually more and more dialects, that would grow more and more apart over time, eventually becoming different languages altogether. I understand that this was not what you were getting at, but I wished to put things into a grander perspective. After all, the great scheme of things is for a great part decided not by a few great actions but by many minor ones.

I agree with what you said regarding mistakes that do not affect the message at all, but will formulate a condition.

The trouble with 'correcting mistakes that do not affect the message at all' is that this is not clearly defined. What can be understood perfectly by one person may be incomprehensible to the other. What may seem a harmless oversight to one may be misinterpreted by another.*

Of course there is a certain 'level of clarity': in the case of certain mistakes the message is still clear to practically everyone, in the case of certain other mistakes the message is unclear to most people; most mistakes lie in-between.

I agree that those mistakes that are of the highest levels of clarity do not need to be corrected, and I generally don't correct them, unless asked to do so. But personally I am bound by perfectionism and a principle of consistency, so I try to avoid all mistakes, however minor, in my writing.

As for your side question, my answer depends much on other factors. What is the essay for? I think such mistakes should not be penalized or penalized only lightly, depending on those factors. However, if spelling is an important part of the essay, it should be penalized.

*Besides misinterpretation and confusion, in some cases 'overcorrection' could occur. Let's say that there are a phrase X meaning x, and a phrase Y meaning y. However, X is often improperly used to mean y. If the reader reads X where the writer means y, the reader will think 'X is used to mean y'. So if a certain reader becomes accustomed to seeing X being used to mean y, they will automatically start applying the correction 'X is used to mean y' whenever they encounter X. So when they encounter an instance where X is used to mean x, they will either automatically assume that X is used to mean y or they will be left confused as to whether x or y is meant.

This is the case with double negations, for example. A double negation has an affirmative meaning, but it is very often used improperly to denote a negative meaning. If a certain reader is accustomed to seeing double negations being used to have a negative meaning, they will either start overcorrecting those cases where a double negation is actually used properly (namely affirmative) or start doubting what is meant.