I always feel guilty when I use a ROM from a game I don't have.

Cowboy Karimov

I know the FBI won't burst down my door, but it still IS breaking the law. I have also read that it is illegal to own a ROM no matter what, so that shatters my dream of getting an actual copy of FE12, and then downloading it. I guess what that means now is that I'll have to get a Japanese DSiand FE12. Pretty steep for one game, if you ask me.

While that is true, you have to consider that obtaining the game legally is very difficult for those outside of Japan, especially considering the fact that it's a DS game and, therefore, no longer in print. The same could be said for just about every other Fire Emblem game, save Awakening and Sacred Stones (available on VC for 3DS ambassadors). Therefore, emulation is the only practical option, especially considering the Japanese only games are far easier to patch on a PC than the actual console.

Even if you did find a physical copy, it's most likely used, and that does the developers no good anyway.

Did anyone else think the title was going to say masturbate?

I think everything I emulate is:

a) I do own it.

b) So old that getting a real version would be impossible from the company and prohibitive from other sources.

c) Unavailable/unintelligible to me in non-emulated forms.

Because of those I don't feel too bad about it. If there's an option of getting it legally that's actually feasible, then I'll do it.

As for owning ROMs at all, I don't remember exactly, but I think you're allowed to have them so long as they are gotten from a licensed producer who uses licensed equipment for the sake of having a backup. Only reason I remember that, if it even is the case, was because it seemed ridiculous, given you could more easily get a second copy of the game 99% of the time.

Edited by bottlegnomes

I have an American 3DS. Can I use a Flash Cart or Action Replay to bypass region lock on 3DS and DSi-enhanced games? If I'm really sure that FE12 is OOP(and I don't think it is), then I might download it if I have no other choice. Nintendo said that they don't like ROMs and that they are a threat on their official website. That was also where I learnt that ROMs are completely and utterly illegal no matter what.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

I'm pretty sure roms are technically legal if you rip it yourself from your own copy of the game, and don't share it.

That said, it was never released outside of Japan, and pretty much any copy you'd find would be rather pricy, and Nintendo likely already got their money from that copy, anyway. It's not available on virtual console, and probably won't be for several years, and even then, it'd probably again be Japan-only.

...I say just get a rom.

The case for my Ouendan game says it's "illegal to own/play this game outside of Japan," or something

(and yes, for the record, it's written in plain English)

Not to say that's particularly relevant to this conversation, it's just something I like to share from time to time

OK, these are just harmless, wacky laws. I'll just download a ROM of anything that isn't on Wii Virtual Console, and, eventually when the Wii Shop is shut down, anything I haven't downloaded. I guess what that means is that I won't be playing any Punch-Out until about 2016.

It depends on the game. For example if you're a Fire Emblem fan and pirated Shadow Dragon(or any game really) when it was available to buy new would be pretty bad in my opinion, the worst thing that could happen to a niche series is having it's fan base not actually support the games they want to play or want more of.

I used to feel bad and I rarely emulate these days anyway, but from my perspective, nobody is losing out from me playing the older FE games that were never released in my territory.

Plus, as mentioned, some laws are just silly anyway, like not allowing you to play Japanese DS games abroad. I bought a legit copy of FE12 on holiday and it has the cheek to have FOR SALE AND USE IN JAPAN ONLY written on the box.

What should I have done? Forfeit it to the authorities before I got back on the plane? : P

I get the reason for the 'For Sale' part but why restrict usage too? Can they even enforce that?

Nope.

Primarily that came from arcade games. Which they now require an active *FIBER OPTIC* internet connection to have an arcade cabinet with like... Blazblue Chrono Phantasma... or Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold... to have its games working.

I sometimes feel a bit guilty of downloading games I don't own.

However, the way I see it, even if I had gone through the hassle of buying a physical copy of an FE game, Nintendo still wouldn't make any money off of it. And Nintendo seems to really not want me to be able to import VC games(or any game of theirs in general), so I don't let it bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, if you're downloading a game that is no longer in circulation, you're not compromising anyone's products. The people who made the games are making just as much money when you download the game as when you buy it used.

the way i see it, if Nintendo isn't willing to give us an opportunity to throw money at them to legitimately get FE1-6 or 12 here, something well within their power if they were at all interested in doing so, then pirating them isn't causing them any financial harm. after all, i'm outside the current market for legitimately owning it. what i do has zero impact on real sales

piracy exists primarily where a remotely decent chain of legitimate supply doesn't

the way i see it, if Nintendo isn't willing to give us an opportunity to throw money at them to legitimately get FE1-6 or 12 here, something well within their power if they were at all interested in doing so, then pirating them isn't causing them any financial harm. after all, i'm outside the current market for legitimately owning it. what i do has zero impact on real sales

piracy exists primarily where a remotely decent chain of legitimate supply doesn't

Depends on whether or not piracy had a significant impact on the sales of FE11 or not. Because FE11 was released at a point where piracy was starting to become rampant (2008).

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/20/piracy-responsible-for-50-ds-software-sales-drop-in-europe/

While the DS user base continued to grow at a significant pace there was a 50% drop in software sales in Europe, not theoretical lost sales due to piracy but between 2009 and 2010 the number of sales had dropped as if the user base was cut in half despite increasing .

Now imagine Nintendo had a choice to localize FE12, a much more wordy game in several languages for the DS, late into the systems in the region with the most languages and on average is known to lose roughly 50% of sales per game due to piracy, if it would sell as much as Shadow Dragon normally it could be expected to sell half of that in Europe by default.

Did anyone else think the title was going to say masturbate?

I think everything I emulate is:

a) I do own it.

b) So old that getting a real version would be impossible from the company and prohibitive from other sources.

c) Unavailable/unintelligible to me in non-emulated forms.

Because of those I don't feel too bad about it. If there's an option of getting it legally that's actually feasible, then I'll do it.

As for owning ROMs at all, I don't remember exactly, but I think you're allowed to have them so long as they are gotten from a licensed producer who uses licensed equipment for the sake of having a backup. Only reason I remember that, if it even is the case, was because it seemed ridiculous, given you could more easily get a second copy of the game 99% of the time.

i follow the same rules.