Pondering an FEXNA Remake

Arch

Poll  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you most like to see remade with FEXNA?

• FE1
    • FE2
    • FE5
    • FE6
    • FE7

I think that due to the circumstances, Alm and Celica's reunion during the final map is more meaningful than if they had mergef parties earlier.

Alm and Celica met only once almost the beginning of the story before and this final map is their reunion. In my opinion, them meeting up anytime before the very final battle sort of kills the moment and emotion. It doesn't allow for much character interaction between the two but it makes that one moment all the more meaningful. I suppose you could turn the final boss fight into a multi chapter fight with both Duma and Judah in both of them. This would allow for more interaction while retaining that moment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to the villagers: I genuinely liked the branching promotional paths. Instead of Cliff being locked to, say, promoting only into Cavalier, having the option to make him whatever class the player wanted allowed for more diverse strategic descisions. Moving on, HP cost spells sucked. I'm just going to say it. It's simply too drastic of a departure to work in a remake/modernization type of setting. Tomes and staves should probably be the main form, if not the only form, of spell casting. I'm open to anyone who can convince me why learned spells DIDN'T suck, because that was one of the few things I disliked about Gaiden.

A problem I had constantly was, my healer would run out of HP, so I couldn't heal, and she kept missing with that shitty Drain attack.

Cast from hp was a horrible idea without a way to heal healers. If you do, I suggest making Drain 100% accuracy, like an ally staff. This way, it's easier to level up healers, because mages will always be hurt.

But, it also made enemy mages piss poor easy to beat.

Alright, so I'm sort of re-purposing this. I wrote up a blog post with all of my candidates for an FEXNA remake, with some of the ideas behind each of them.

tl;dr version of my reasoning behind each of the candidates.

• FE1: Needs a better remake that celebrates the original while taking the "what if this were developed now" approach.
  • FE2: Most in need of a thorough remake.
  • FE5: In my opinion, the coolest game in need of a remake. Cult classic that could be refined.
  • FE6: The most boring of the modern games, Roy's story needs some justice.
  • FE7: Easiest potential remake. A fan favorite that would go nicely with an "Elibe XNA Collection" of sorts (I'd likely end up remaking both FE6 & FE7 in a compilation, if I went this route).

There's a poll, and I'd love to hear your feedback beyond that! I definitely want to develop a remake with Yeti's FEXNA engine. I'm interested in seeing what everyone's preferences are, as I'm trying to pick which game to do.

Edited by Arch

Definitely FE5 or 6 to me. I couldn't enjoy fe6 mainly because it was a boring game and the translation gave it a boring story. Gringe's translation update only fixes 50% of the issue. FE5 just needs a lot of fixes overall though.

Elibian Nights. Skills EVERYWHERE Voted FE6, though FE7 would be cool too, because I feel like skills could really give each country's primary unit a real style of combat (nomadic trooper's hit and run, dragon masters being a threat to everyone with swoop). Of course, this depends somewhat on how many of these skills yeti wants for FE7x exclusively. Plus FE6 is a continent wide war, so much room for fan improvement (and better dialogue). Don't really have a feel for the other three, but I assume they'd be really cool too.

Edited by deranger

i would like to see a fe6 remake, but an fe2 remake would be really nice too. if you do go through with one of these remakes though id recommend having all the graphics of similar style and quality, otherwise it'll look weird.

(I'd love to help with any of these possible remakes in anyway, but you probably don't need my help.)

Voted for FE6, even though a modernized Thracia has a great deal of appeal. FE6 seems to sit comfortably at the juncture of 'relative ease of approach' and 'in need of polish'.

Incidentally - Is there a full dump of the Japanese script floating around anywhere accessible?

What happened to Exalted Legacy?

FE2 needs a remake.

FE5? That would be a real cool remake. Voting for that one.

FE6? Really? DLuna is already making a remake, and Onmi is currently working on The Divine War. I don't think FE6 needs a remake. That's just my opinion though.

FE7? There is some pacing issues here and there, but it's not all that bad. I would like to see some skills though... (Maybe add some FE7x canon in the mix and some extra characters, along with some added weapons? That would also be pretty cool.)

In conclusion, I think FE5 needs a remake the most.

EDIT: upon reading Deranger's post, maybe FE6 actually might need a remake?

EDIT EDIT: Didn't see blog post about Exalted Legacy. Oops?

Edited by PixelmanFE

Voted for FE6, even though a modernized Thracia has a great deal of appeal. FE6 seems to sit comfortably at the juncture of 'relative ease of approach' and 'in need of polish'.

Incidentally - Is there a full dump of the Japanese script floating around anywhere accessible?

Uh.. not really a full dump but there is this. http://www.pegasusknight.com/mb/fe6/st_index.html

You did mean FE6 right? If not, then: http://www.pegasusknight.com/mb/fe5/st_index.html

Edited by Blyvern

Two is the most in need for a remake. Please remake that.

After you finish that and if you still want to remake games, then go for FE7->FE6. A compliation would be cool.

The only thing about FE2 is that I don't know if I'm qualified to remake a game I haven't played (and really have no interest in playing because it's so outdated).

The only thing about FE2 is that I don't know if I'm qualified to remake a game I haven't played (and really have no interest in playing because it's so outdated).

It would likely be an unpleasant experience to play through FE2 at this point.

I would honestly approach and view it more as designing an entirely new game based loosely off the original. There's so much blank canvas in terms of character development and overall design that any work on it would represent a tremendously significant expansion of what previously existed.

I agree with Siuloir to an extent. While I like the game, it's still an old NES game, which lots of room to improve. The best thing to do with FE2 is to adapt it to modern FE's system, while keeping it's story, characters, lore, and maps faithful to the original, with room to modify for a more tasteful experience.

You'd have to research quite a bit into the world map/battle maps. If you can't find them online, you would have to play the game to do so.

You'd also have to completely redo the story, stats, items, class variety, weapon system, and promotion system. And if you're putting in skills, there's a lot you have to do to balance that as well.

Not to mention you'd have to find someone to sprite Doma for you.

Though I like the idea of keeping the casting from health for the sake on uniqueness, I can't say I'd like to deal with it again. It's weird, because I like it and don't like it at the same time.

Mages become very powerful due to learning magic, but they become worthless after they drop in HP. Sisters, with their summoning, are extremely good units. Enemy mages are dangerous, but become an absolute joke when they run out of HP, especially bosses.

And you'd HAVE to change classes around, because not one playable character used axes, unless you're adding in OCs.

Not to mention you'd have to find someone to sprite Doma for you.

kitsu_doma.png

Kitsu made Doma for a spriting contest, but it might be difficult getting her permission since she's not been active for a few months.

FE2 is is definitely the game that needs a remake the most, but I voted on FE1 because I really liked where you were going with it in Exalted Legacy and it's easier working on a game you know and have played.

Edited by Kon

FE2 is the game I'd most like to see remade, but I also feel like it'd be the most likely to get an official remake.

I wouldn't mind your FE1 remake, but I recall you stating you'd be cutting a lot of characters, which is something I really am not fond of. I feel like a definitive version should retain all content from past versions. So ehhh.

FE5? I've never played either of the Jugdrali games, and would like to experience FE4 before FE5. But you didn't list FE4 as an option, so...

FE6. There are already a crapton of remakes and enhancement projects going on, but one of them is already yours anyway, and one of the nicer looking ones, too.

So I suppose my vote goes toward the FE7/6 compilation.

Please be easier if it's remade. That game made me see red and want to murder someone.

I know I can overcome virtually any obstacle I face in life, having managed to recruit Xavier twice. A lot of Thracia's difficulty is really artificial and onerous, rather than meaningfully engaging the player, unfortunately.

I think a Thracia remake also seems out of place without a corresponding FE4 remake, though FE4 has a few less issues than Thracia. Maybe that's just me holding out hope that all the fantastic mugwork for FE4A eventually finds a home.

FE2 just leaves you a lot of options. (Although as Kon brought up, I would absolutely be behind FE1, as that story deserves a better presentation.)

Edited by Siuloir

Arch, I'm interested in hearing why you prefer remakes/building on existing FE canon rather than creating a stand alone game (perhaps in a stand alone world), as most hackers do. Not trying to get off topic or say one's better than the other, just wondering if you have any stirring words on the matter.

Edited by deranger

We need a full game project as reference for new FEXNA developers. For romhacks, you can download nightmare and a rom and fuck around instantly, no tutorials needed. FE7x surce won't be included on release (Or ever) so for anyone wondering how to connect chapters, do route splits, and all that jazz, they have to figure it all out from scratch unless we make a full game or fairly long game with fexna.

We need a full game project as reference for new FEXNA developers. For romhacks, you can download nightmare and a rom and fuck around instantly, no tutorials needed. FE7x surce won't be included on release (Or ever) so for anyone wondering how to connect chapters, do route splits, and all that jazz, they have to figure it all out from scratch unless we make a full game or fairly long game with fexna.

That seems very counterproductive to making the engine publicly available if no frame of reference or tutorial is provided. Barriers of entry are seldom a good thing to development kits - Witness why the Witcher I and Dragon Age I devtools produced very little in the way of significant modifications, as compared to the TES kit.