Ohmygawd.

I just found out that College Board is dropping the essay portion of the SAT, thus reverting to their old 1600-point scoring system.

They're also dropping more obscure and difficult vocabulary in the critical reading section.

WHY?!

WHYYYYY?!

I could've done so much better under that system. That was the section I did worst in.

Not that it matters for me, since it'd only take effect starting from early 2016.

Beginning in the spring of 2016, students will take a redesigned SAT the board says focuses on more relevant vocabulary words that "students will use consistently in college and beyond," draws from fewer math topics and does not deduct points for incorrect answers, as it has done in the past. The essay section, which was first made mandatory in the SAT's 2005 revamp that also established its current 2400-point scale, now will be optional and separately scored.

USNews

Washington Post

On hindsight, maybe I should've posted this on the "General" board.

Edited by Not-an-Apple

Horrible idea, the SATs weren't hard to begin with. It's the exact same thing Deval Patrick did three years ago. Dumb down the test so it looks like you improved test scores. I mean I got a 1540/1600 on two hours of sleep. And there making it easier. Bad idea man.

Horrible idea, the SATs weren't hard to begin with. It's the exact same thing Deval Patrick did three years ago. Dumb down the test so it looks like you improved test scores. I mean I got a 1540/1600 on two hours of sleep. And there making it easier. Bad idea man.

I don't know what to say about many American kids, though.

Our work ethics is very different from other countries.

Math should just count for double points, then.

I feel like the essay is actually usefu-

wait no

I remember hearing something about how the way they grade essays is shit (literally just grammar and intro - 3 body paragraphs - conclusion, plus length, measured with rulers). Also I took it twice and when I followed the advice to do a shitty essay that met structural requirements I got like a 780 as opposed to ~680 for what was a much more concise and well-reasoned essay.

Yeah nvm, the writing portion of the SATs can go straight to hell, even if the two lit sections did serve to pad my overall score (which annoys me, since I'm a more math/science guy anyways).

It's like 20 minutes to write an essay anyway

like who the fuck writes anything of value in 20 minutes ffs

I'm bullshitly skewed towards math so less things that aren't math is great for me but I really fucking hate writing in any language and it doesn't help that english isn't even my first

It'd be nice if more colleges looked at the sections separately and relevant to the fields the student is applying to because fuck I'm a programmer, I'm literate enough, I don't need to write things that read like a masterpiece

Edited by Thor Odinson

My dad (who is a programmer) has often said that the most important/useful/whatnot class he ever took was Technical Writing.

It's apparently more important than many people initially believe, but like, that's just what I've heard, so I don't actually know.

Technical writing isn't exactly the same as writing literary masterpieces though

Like, I can get the point across (most of the time) but I'll be damned if I'm trying to write something of actual literary merit

It's required in my school but I haven't taken it yet, still got a year left