If you were Sakurai.. [Movesets]

Jedi

If you were Sakurai and could make any currently existing character a new moveset who would it be?

If I were Sakurai I'd change up Sonic personally I've had alot of ideas in the past.

Neutral B - Homing Attack can stay but if used on the ground it would become the Sonic Wave which was a spindash trick attack that launched a small projectial in Sonic Battle

Down B - Spindash can stay

Foward B - Fire Shield - Basically the flame shield dash from Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Up B - Spring Works. But we could use the Rocket Wisp from Sonic colors

A attacks

Down A Smash a quick sweeping kick - used in Project M

Up Smash - The Somersault from Sonic Battle, a quick upward kick - Used in Project M

Down A in the air - Bounce Bracelet/Water Shield, a quick downward drop attack which would do good damage and could be bounced 2 or 3 times.

Foward Air A - The Sonic Eagle used in Project M

A combo his combo from Sonic battle which was 2 punches and a kick like his in brawl but the kick was an upward kick.

Neutral Air - His spinning midair kick from Sonic Battle which looks a little like the Hurricane Kick from Street Fighter.

The rest can stay the same

The only character I'd change heavily is Toon Link, but I'd also give Falco and Wolf new Final Smashes. I just don't know what those would be since I've never played Star Fox. :P

Anyway, here's my wish for Toon Link (though it's not happening because it's already been deconfirmed). He's wielding the Four Sword here, btw, not the Master Sword.

Standard B: Bow can stay

Up B: Spin Attack can stay

Side B: Roc's Cape - Link flies horizontally by donning the Roc's Cape from The Minish Cap, but with an added sword slash at the end.

Down B: Sword Beam/Peril Beam - A strong, fast beam. It becomes the even stronger Peril Beam if Toon Link accumulates more than 100% damage.

Final Smash: Four Sword Hurricane - Link uses the power of the Four Sword to split into four, the four Links stand in the cross formation from Four Swords Adventures, and then use the Hurricane Spin from TMC, FSA, and TWW. While performing the attack, the four Links can jump onto platforms to reach higher areas. A hit from one of the blades alone causes 25% damage, and all four blades can potentially hit multiple times. The attack lasts about eight seconds.

I'd also change regular Link slightly.

Standard B: Bow can stay

Up B: Spin Attack can stay, but Link would be able to go higher than Toon Link with it and it will have more diagonal range.

Side B: Skyward Strike - the Skyward Strike from Skyward Sword. Link holds his blade skyward for a second to charge, then launches a large, powerful shockwave-like beam. It travels a bit slowly, but it's powerful and has a large hitbox. It can be fired diagonally as well as horizontally.

Down B: Bombs can stay

Final Smash: Triforce Slash can stay

Lastly, I'd replace Ike's Eruption with Ragnell's shockwave attack and simply call it Shockwave. Ike needs a projectile if he's to get buffed, imo, lol.

Edited by Anacybele

I personally wouldn't overhaul any characters that heavily. Even ones like Ganondorf, Lucas, and Toon Link (this is assuming I'm not allowed to cut him from the roster and deligate him as a costume change with his proportions scaled to regular Link) I'd keep the same since changing a character's moveset entirely between two games is very rare in fighting games and you might as well be making a brand new character if you're going to erase their entire old existing moveset they had (even if it was just taken and altered from another character like Captain Falcon to Ganondorf). Even though Falco was heavily overhauled, I'd keep Falco's Brawl moves though and not revert him to his Melee self, since it'd make even less sense to erase all the decloning he received.

That said, I don't mind changing around a move or two. Mario's FLUDD comes to mind (I'd change the power of his FLUDD so it's equivalent or close to an SSE Very Hard/Intense mode Borboras' gust of wind). I'd also want Peach's Standard Special to change, though that's mainly so Toad can become a playable character (so I'd even accept Toad being switched to Toadsworth). I'd also change Falco, Toon Link, and Wolf's Final Smashes (an Arwing for Falco, something that's not the Triforce Slash for Toon Link, and the Wolfen for Wolf that'll act similar to Snake's Grenade Launcher). Seeing how PK Starstorm was originally planned for Ness ever since SSB64 according to unused sound clips in the game's cartridge, Lucas' would be the one who's Final Smash needs changing if anything. Since PSI Rockin and PK Love likely weren't used as moves in Smash since they were nameable and changeable (though Ness' and Lucas' names were also changeable), maybe Offense Up Omega could be used for Lucas? It'd increase the speed and power of his attacks to Wario Man's level for 10-15 seconds while glowing with an orange aura.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Well, I don't know why Sakurai hasn't already formatted Toon Link to more resemble his Four Sword incarnations. Toon Link has only wielded the Master Sword once, but he's had the Four Sword three times, and in Spirit Tracks he had a new unique blade all together. More of his games are Four Sword titles. He should be more associated with them than the others. Especially since Four Swords got an anniversary edition for 3DS.

But I forgot about Mario and his stupid FLUDD. I'd replace that too, because it's just stupid. Though with what, I'm not sure yet.

Also, I didn't change anyone's moveset entirely. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Well, I don't know why Sakurai hasn't already formatted Toon Link to more resemble his Four Sword incarnations. Toon Link has only wielded the Master Sword once, but he's had the Four Sword three times, and in Spirit Tracks he had a new unique blade all together. More of his games are Four Sword titles. He should be more associated with them than the others. Especially since Four Swords got an anniversary edition for 3DS.

But I forgot about Mario and his stupid FLUDD. I'd replace that too, because it's just stupid. Though with what, I'm not sure yet.

Also, I didn't change anyone's moveset entirely. xP

I think it has to do with Wind Waker being a console title, and console titles in Smash generally getting more representation than handheld titles (though the Wii U/3DS version split will be remedying that to an extent, they likely won't be splitting movesets and character representation in the same way).

I can still see Mario's FLUDD potentially being a viable move, and I actually like the Down Air Mario Tornado in Brawl (especially since it's really funny when you kill people with it vertically. Same with killing with Mario's Super Jump Punch. I know I personally like doing that for fun in Brawl and do it more often than I should). I mean, if you've played Very Hard/Intense Mode in the SSE and encountered a Borboras (those blowdryer heads), that should give you a pretty good idea on how deadly simply being blown away can be (I know I've suffered a few deaths from them). Just increase the thickness of the FLUDD spray and the pushback, and it should be rather viable.

And yeah, I know most people here don't want to change character's movesets entirely, except for maybe Ganondorf's. I just wanted to state my belief that characters shouldn't be changed that heavily between fighting games in terms of their moveset.

If I were Sakurai, Sonic wouldn't be in the game, and thus, wouldn't have a moveset.

Did I ask for snide comments by biased haters?

Didn't think so

I think it has to do with Wind Waker being a console title, and console titles in Smash generally getting more representation than handheld titles (though the Wii U/3DS version split will be remedying that to an extent, they likely won't be splitting movesets and character representation in the same way).

I can still see Mario's FLUDD potentially being a viable move, and I actually like the Down Air Mario Tornado in Brawl (especially since it's really funny when you kill people with it vertically. Same with killing with Mario's Super Jump Punch. I know I personally like doing that for fun in Brawl and do it more often than I should). I mean, if you've played Very Hard/Intense Mode in the SSE and encountered a Borboras (those blowdryer heads), that should give you a pretty good idea on how deadly simply being blown away can be (I know I've suffered a few deaths from them). Just increase the thickness of the FLUDD spray and the pushback, and it should be rather viable.

And yeah, I know most people here don't want to change character's movesets entirely, except for maybe Ganondorf's. I just wanted to state my belief that characters shouldn't be changed that heavily between fighting games in terms of their moveset.

You might have a point, and I realize that TWW is a pretty popular game too, though popularity alone isn't the deciding factor.

As for Mario's FLUDD, maybe you're right, but as of now, I think the move is dumb. xP

For DK, I'd want him to have his roll attack from DKC as his dash.

For Wario, he shoul have his bike replaced by his shoulder bash from the WL games.

In general, I'd like for characters to take after their P:M versions. Ivysaur with seed bomb/solarbeam/synthesis, Luvas with that charge mechanic, etc.

For Falco, I think it would be neat for him to have dual blasters. So long as he can sill cancel his blaster by landing, I think that shoulf be fine. And give him an Arwing FS ofc.

Thing is..... I'm not Sakurai? And I wouldn't pretend to know better than him how to do what he's been doin' for fifteen years or so. Sakurai is pretty solid at designing the movesets in just about every category but the super-hardcore competitive play, so I have no complaints.

Just about the only thing I'd do that I think Sakurai wouldn't is make Ridley playable. Beyond that, I'd trust his judgment to come up with something cool for him in terms of moves, there's plenty to pull from.

Thing is..... I'm not Sakurai? And I wouldn't pretend to know better than him how to do what he's been doin' for fifteen years or so. Sakurai is pretty solid at designing the movesets in just about every category but the super-hardcore competitive play, so I have no complaints.

Just about the only thing I'd do that I think Sakurai wouldn't is make Ridley playable. Beyond that, I'd trust his judgment to come up with something cool for him in terms of moves, there's plenty to pull from.

This is in no way saying Sakurai has no clue what he is doing. This is merely as what if. Not a OH WE KNOW BETTER THE SAKURAI thread.

Lighten up for goodness sakes

Haha allright fair enough.

Well personally, I don't really have too many complaints about most people's current movesets; I supposeif I were to modify anybody, it'd be Metaknight. Strangely, I think he's one of the few characters who actually doesn't play that much like his in-game self.

And now I do exactly what I was accusing this thread of doing! Here's what I would change about Meta Knight:

- Make him feel a bit heavier, so he's sort of a balance between heavy (as would befit him with all that armor) and floaty; not quite as heavy as Charizard, but closer to that. Maybe he'd fall faster or something; in the Meta Knightmare modes of Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland and KSS Ultra, Meta Knight feels significantly heavier than the floaty Kirby and falls faster.

- Make his D-air more like Brawl Toon Link's. Meta Knight actually has a move exactly like this in nearly all his incarnations, so it's a little strange that he never used one like it in Brawl.

- Give him a shockwave attack. This was another thing that Meta Knight would frequently do in his boss fights, in addition to his playable moments. If it were up to me I'd probably make this his neutral-B attack and make it slightly curveable, sort of like Pit's arrows to a lesser extent, and--

- Make Mach Tornado his Final Smash, since he had a very Final Smash-esque move like that in KSS Ultra. The final Smash would be stronger to compensate for Meta Knight's less-lightning-fast attacks.

EDIT: I like Shinpichu's suggestions for DK and Falco.

Regarding Fludd, I don't mind it existing, but I want Luigi to have his Poltergust 3000 if Mario's using Fludd. o___o Otherwise, I'd almost prefer that they both just become items or something.

For Final Smashes, I always wished that Toon Link got the Hurricane Spin move from Wind Waker to set him apart from Link.

And yeah, I definitely agree that Wolf and Falco need different Final Smashes, haha...

I kind of wish each of Red's Pokemon got one of the signature starter moves (Frenzy Plant / Blast Burn / Hydro Cannon) instead of all using normal moves at the same time. That'd be pretty cool. ~__~ Also it'd be nice if Lucario and Jigglypuff's Final Smashes were actually moves from Pokemon (which should be easy; Lucario's can just be renamed to Hyper Beam, and Jigglypuff could have Boomburst or something).

@ Anacybele, I think the reason Toon Link has the Master Sword is to emphasize that it's Wind Waker Link. Other incarnations of Toon Link look the same, but are not the same individual. A

Edited by BANRYU

So? Toon Link can still be a mix of his incarnations, imo. Same with regular Link. The design is still closest to TP Link, but I think he can have the Skyward Strike from SS.

I'm fairly certain that the Link in Smash 3U is SS Link. As to whether they can have the abilities of other individuals named Link who look like them, well... *shrug* I guess it remains to be seen.

I agree with Anacybele that Toon Link should be based more on the Four Swords incarnation. Falco, Wolf, and Ganon need more make them different.

I think Peach Bomber should be changed. A common normal attack, with the hearts and then a rare critical, with the explosion from Melee.

Ganon could use a sword in some of his specials.

Peach's second jump NEEDS to be changed back.

Edited by GabrielKnight

I'm fairly certain that the Link in Smash 3U is SS Link. As to whether they can have the abilities of other individuals named Link who look like them, well... *shrug* I guess it remains to be seen.

Nope, it's TP Link, but with coloring more similar to SS Link. I can tell, because this Link still has the brown arm things that TP Link had. SS Link doesn't have those.

I'm actually pretty impressed by how close to my ideal Mac moveset this game's appears to be (at least in terms of specials seen so far, obviously)

I admittedly think how Project:M changed Wario's bike to his shoulder made for a really cool change to his gameplay, but I'm loathe to give up his bike for recovery. And I actually kinda like his bike. Maybe exchange his upb for it? Or did P:M already do that and I just wasn't paying attention

Changes to bite: enlarge hitbox (but not sprite/hurtbox), decrease startup and recovery frames :Kappa:

Regarding Ness:

-make his jab launch people upwards

-have fair deal stun like a motherfucker, take out all its knockback but have it "sink" people

-rip off the rest of his P:M shit wholesale

In Return to Dream Land, Metaknight's mach tornado had to be charged. It actually seemed pretty glorious

For DK, I'd want him to have his roll attack from DKC as his dash.

For Wario, he shoul have his bike replaced by his shoulder bash from the WL games.

In general, I'd like for characters to take after their P:M versions. Ivysaur with seed bomb/solarbeam/synthesis, Luvas with that charge mechanic, etc.

For Falco, I think it would be neat for him to have dual blasters. So long as he can sill cancel his blaster by landing, I think that shoulf be fine. And give him an Arwing FS ofc.

God that would be viscerally horrifying, 8/10

Edited by Rehab

I'm a bit late to this topic but I think Charizard is iconic enough to be his own character.

He'll keep his moves but with a new down B - Mega Evolution.

Using it on the ground will change him into Mega Charizard X, giving him stronger smash attacks as well as increasing the speed and hitbox of his side b. In exchange, his Flamethrower dries up faster and his up B doesn't go as far. He becomes heavier as Mega X and several of his attacks are more physical (Forward air is now a slashing move.) His Up, Forward and Back throws are stronger.

Using it on the air changes him to Mega Charizard Y, extending the reach of his attacks and increasing the damage dealt from all fire moves (Neutral B, forward air, forward tilt etc). He also gains additional aerial mobility and an extra jump. In exchange, his attacks become slower on the ground. He becomes lighter as Mega Charizard Y. His Down throw is stronger.

His Final Smashes:

Mega Charizard X uses Dragon Dance, increasing his speed and attack. He still takes damage but has super armor.

Mega Charizard Y uses Blast Burn. He flies to the background and rains fire down on the stage.

I haven't played Smash in years so feel free to ridicule me.

I know it's not going to happen since 1) it's a massive change and 2) he's been in since the original, but if I were Sakurai, I'd be pimping out Kirby's moveset, especially since the man created him.

It's a nice throwback that a bunch of Kirby's moves harken back to some of his Copy Abilities from his own games, but the selection in Smash Bros. is just so limited for him when he has so many different ones to pull from. As such, (according to my document's Properties Window) I've had these changes down since August of 2012 (Copy Abilities only used once across Smash moveset):

(Please reference http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/ (Copy Ability Name Goes Here) for more information on the selected moves. Ability names listed in Italics below.)

[spoiler=Moveset Inside, Spoiler'd for Size]

L / R (Hold): Reflect Guard (Mirror)
- Works the same as the normal shield, but just with a rainbow texture to it

A: Vulcan Jab (Fighter)
- Identical to previous games
A (Repeatedly): Nonstop Vulcan Jab into Smash Punch for combo finisher (Fighter)
- Punches X times, then finishes with a 5-10% "wave" punch at the end that knocks the target back slightly

Dash + A: Wheel Roll (Wheel)
- Controllable similar to Jigglypuff's Rollout? Ends when A is released.

Tilt -> + A (Facing): Yo-Yo Throw (Yo-Yo)
- Arcs his Yo-Yo in direction pressed like a whip

Tilt <- + A (Facing): Yo-Yo Throw (Yo-Yo)
- Arcs his Yo-Yo in direction pressed like a whip

Tilt -> + A (Away): Yo-Yo Throw (Yo-Yo)

- Backwards Yo-Yo throw with a different arc than used when facing

Tilt <- + A (Away): Yo-Yo Throw (Yo-Yo)

- Backwards Yo-Yo throw with a different arc than used when facing
Tilt ^ + A: Beam Whip (Beam)
- Produces a 135 degree arc of beam above him, similar to Samus's Up Smash
Tilt v + A: Slide Tackle (Normal Kirby)
- Similar to his previous, but he slides across the ground in the direction he was facing

Smash -> + A: Jet Kick (Jet)
- Fundamentally similar to current one, but he moves forward and kicks much more than in Melee/Brawl
Smash <- + A: Jet Kick (Jet)
Smash ^ + A: Hammer Flip (Hammer)
- A hammer swing upwards, dealing moderate damage and knocking the target upwards more if their damage is higher

- Has a slight charge time / delay between button press and swing
Smash v + A: Bomb Set (Bomb)
- Kirby drops a bomb in front of him which explodes seconds later, works similar to Snake's Rocket Propelled Grenade Side Smash

A (Midair): Fireball Spin (Fire)
- Spins in air, hitting those around with fire
-> + A (Air, Facing): Sweep Cutter (Cutter)
- Throws a short-range Cutter Boomerang while holding another one in front of him to deal damage to anyone that hits it
<- + A (Air, Facing): Sweep Cutter (Cutter)
-> + A (Air, Away): Ice Sprinkle (Ice)
- Spins in air, producing rotating, diagonal ice breath that damages and can freeze at high percentages
<- + A (Air, Away): Ice Sprinkle (Ice)
^ + A (Midair): Whirlwind Spin (Tornado)
- Tornado-powered drill spin, works similar to Kirby's previous v + A (Midair) kick move, but with less downward momentum

- Also catches enemies directly above Kirby and pulls them in to the attack
v + A (Midair): Parasol Dive (Parasol)
- A diagonal dive downwards, assisted by a Parasol and two spinning stars

- Kirby is protected from attacks directed at him from below, but vulnerable to those from behind and above

B: Inhale (Normal Kirby)
B (After Inhale): Star Spit (Normal Kirby)

- Spits the foe back out and doesn't take their power
v (After Inhale): Swallow (Normal Kirby)

- Replaces all B moves with those of the swallowed character
-> + B: Plasma Needle/Arrow/Spark/Laser/Wave (Plasma)
- Charge builds as time passes and Kirby moves

- Using the move expends the charge and reverts back to Plasma Needle -> build charge again to use higher powered attacks
<- + B: Plasma Needle/Arrow/Spark/Laser/Wave (Plasma)
^ + B: Sword Spin (Sword)
- Forward and upward somersaults in air, with sword spinning around Kirby (new recovery move)
v + B: Stone Change (Stone)
- Identical to previous

L / R (Single): Grab
(After Grab Below:)
A: Slap
- Identical to previous
B: Feather Gun (Wing)
- Shoots a weak feather at close range for each button press (up to 3-4) that can be directed with tilts (similar to Marth's Dancing Blade)

- Feather direction can direct target backwards, upwards, or downwards at end of grab?
-> (Facing) / L / R: Air Drop (Ninja)
- Identical to previous
<- (Facing) / L / R: Air Drop (Ninja)
-> (Away): Laser Blast (Laser)
- Kirby launches the target backwards over his shoulder and then blast them with a minimal knockback laser (similar to Fox's Blaster, but with more damage)
<- (Away): Laser Blast (Laser)
^: Mega Needle (Needle)
- Kirby moves the enemy above him and unleashes a giant needle spike upwards
v: Fury Stomp (Suplex)
- Identical to previous

Final Smash: Supernova (Crash)
- Kirby releases a giant shockwave blast (of certain radius) of energy outward, damaging and heavily knocking everyone in the direction of the blast when they were struck

- Kirby must cool down for a few seconds after using, leaving him open to counters if Supernova failed to defeat opponents

D-Pad ^: Release Power + Hi! [Taunt]
D-Pad <-: End of Stage Dance from games [Taunt]
D-Pad ->: End of Stage Dance from games [Taunt]
D-Pad v: Doze Off (Sleep) [Taunt]
- Kirby falls asleep for a few seconds before snapping back awake

Edited by Lord Glenn

speaking of Charizard: come on, rock smash? a shitty HM move, as its SSB moveset? really? i'd go with dragon claw or dragon tail for his side special, with the former playing pretty much the same role as rock smash, while the latter could have strong vertical knockback while going light on the damage dealt. i'd also sort of argue against fly being his up special for the same reason as rock smash, but hey, at least it's vaguely strong in the source material and is kind of a thing charizards are supposed to do in general

a viable option for his down special could be seismic toss, considering how the animu's made a point of turning it into an iconic move for Ash's (even though it's been nearly a decade since it could legitimately learn it...)

Notwithstanding the terribleness of Rock Smash in the actual Pokemon games, it's a very strong move in SSB. Besides, I have a very sentimental attachment to that move.

Craig, great call on Charizard. Truthfully I kind of expected it too, but I didn't say it so I can't claim credit for it lol.

...Although, I'm not sure why you thought his Mega Evolution would be anything but a Final Smash. :0 That's kind of a weird guess/preference.

Edited by BANRYU

Notwithstanding the terribleness of Rock Smash in the actual Pokemon games, it's a very strong move in SSB. Besides, I have a very sentimental attachment to that move.

Craig, great call on Charizard. Truthfully I kind of expected it too, but I didn't say it so I can't claim credit for it lol.

...Although, I'm not sure why you thought his Mega Evolution would be anything but a Final Smash. :0 That's kind of a weird guess/preference.

I don't really play with Smash Balls on. That probably led to that prediction.

speaking of Charizard: come on, rock smash? a shitty HM move, as its SSB moveset? really? i'd go with dragon claw or dragon tail for his side special, with the former playing pretty much the same role as rock smash, while the latter could have strong vertical knockback while going light on the damage dealt. i'd also sort of argue against fly being his up special for the same reason as rock smash, but hey, at least it's vaguely strong in the source material and is kind of a thing charizards are supposed to do in general

a viable option for his down special could be seismic toss, considering how the animu's made a point of turning it into an iconic move for Ash's (even though it's been nearly a decade since it could legitimately learn it...)

Charizard has plenty of move representation: Fire Fang (Forward Smash), Earthquake (Down Smash), Wing Attack (Up Smash), Heat Wave (Forward Air), etc...

Rock Smash is also plenty strong in Smash Bros. If anything needed flavor tweeking it would be making Fly/Flare Blitz work like Captain Falcon's up B. Connecting with it leads to a Seismic Toss grab.

I think his new down B would be Fire Spin for defensive purpuses or Fire Blast for a long range projectile.