Reuben Langdon may have leaked that a MGS character will appear in SSB4

So in an [it's "http://www.gamevoices.co.uk/profiles/blogs/april-s-gamevoices-interview-is-with-the-extremely-entertaining-m]interview with Gamevoices[/url], VA/"mo-cap guy" Reuben Langdon mentioned that he played Raiden in Super Smash Bros.:

Is there a game franchise you'd particularly like to appear in?

Raiden.png

Let me think about that. Well the Metal Gear series is always coming in and out of my field. We have put bids out on it a couple of times. Raiden was always a character that I had wanted to play. I did end up playing him on Super Smash Bros; so I did end up playing him eventually. NOT to the extent that he is in the other games.

Since Raiden didn't appear at all in Brawl, nor has he ever been voiced by Langdon, many people took this as confirmation that Raiden would appear in some capacity in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

Later, Langdon claimed that he had mixed up Super Smash Bros. with Playstation All-Stars. However, many have noted this explanation is problematic, as Langdon has not previously voiced Raiden at all(not even in PSA), nor did he do mo-cap work for him in that game since Raiden's animations were ripped from MGR:R(and no, he didn't do mo-cap work for that game either).

Edit: I should note that Reuben Langdon has done voice work as Ken Masters and Dante (from Devil May Cry), so he's a notable name.

Also keep in mind that this isn't the first time something like this has happened: David Hayter revealed Jigglypuff's return fro Brawl, and Krystal's VA (Alesia Glidewell) leaked that Krystal would be appearing in Brawl.

Edit 2: Gamevoices has amended the interview:

Let me think about that. Well the Metal Gear series is always coming in and out of my field. We have put bids out on it a couple of times. Raiden was always a character that I had wanted to play. I did end up playing him on PlayStation All-Stars (*amended); so I actually did kind of end up playing him eventually (* Amended- Reuben here is referring to playing Raiden in Mocap- not as a voice actor). But NOT to the extent that he exists in the other games."

I should also point out that it's possible that Langdon did uncredited mocap work for the cut scenes in PSA.

Edited by shinpichu

Since Raiden is in PSA, I'd say that Snake is pretty much in.

I don't think Raiden's appearance in PSA affect his potential too be in Smash.

However, his comment that he's played Raiden "NOT to the extent that he is in the other games" indicates he'll be in a small role (AT probably, seems like a good replacement for Gray Fox).

Edit: Gamevoices has amended the interview to replace the Smash reference and clarify that he was referring to mocap work.

Edited by shinpichu

I thought I should link to this article:

Just like that, the rumor has been squashed. Our good friend Ishaan Sahdev over at Siliconera spoke to Reuben Langdon via email. Turns our Mr. Langdon was actually getting Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale confused with Smash Bros.. This direct quote comes to us via Sahdev.

"Oh, the all-stars battle Royale was the one I was in. Lol! Yep. Totally got them confused." - Reuben Langdon

That's quite a big mistake to make, but at least we have it all cleared up now! Also worth noting, Langdon was actually talking about mo-cap work and not voice work.

Curious, the "unintentional" mistake may have been intentional to get people to think.

We have no idea haha. Raiden for an assist in his Revengence gear would be very akin to Grey Fox

I linked that in the OP. The issue was that he isn't credited for any work in PSA.

Alright, then.

I feel like Sakurai will keep it to one third party a company, since people will call him out on biasedness and favouritism if he doesn't (and even then, some people will still call him out on it for having a guest from one company and not another, like having a Konami character but not a Square Enix character).