NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

Tomlin is also one of the most liked coaches by players in the league. So the Steelers definitely don't want to get rid of him. Also, I think Rex Ryan has been coaching longer. Of course he'd be more experienced.

Well, whether Ben messed up or not, he's not entirely to blame. He didn't get those defensive and offensive penalties, nor did he fumble near the fricken endzone.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically one person isn't entirely to blame.

Ravens loved Brian Billick but they had to cut ties. That's the only reason I can see why Tomlin isn't on the hot seat; it's the same reason why Ryan hasn't been fired over the years. Tomlin has been a head coach longer than Rex Ryan though; Rex Ryan was HC of New York since 2009 and Tomlin's been a coach since 2007.

Edited by Lord Raven

But has Ryan coached teams before the Jets? Head coaches can change teams too, you know. And Ryan might have had more experience coaching college or something.

Edited by Anacybele

He was a position coach then coordinator (for the ravens from like 2005-2008 onwards) for the Ravens. Never a head coach. 2009 was his first year as a head coach.

Head coaching is much much much different than being a coordinator or position coach btw.

Edited by Lord Raven

Ah, I see. I don't know about Ryan being better than Tomlin though. The last couple of times I remember both teams going against each other, the Steelers won. And one of these games was the AFC Championship lol. And man, was Ryan a big giant baby at the end. He threw a tantrum and threw his headset onto the ground. I was like lolwut really?

Edited by Anacybele

Rex Ryan has done quite a lot with very little. Head to head matchups tell you nothing otherwise you'd think Jack Del Rio was better than John Harbaugh or something (protip: he's not). He was DL Coach of the 2000 Ravens who were probably the greatest defense of the modern era (post-78, when 5 yard illegal contact became a thing) and that defensive line was monstrous. 2006 Ravens D was probably the second best defense of that era (if not them then the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and Ryan was DC of that. That defense was so good that all four starting linebackers made the Pro Bowl.

The Jets as of late have had to clean up bad management. Last year their best WR was a slot receiver on any other team, and their second best WR is like a 4th or 5th string WR. They went 8-8. 2012 that offense imploded and they went 6-10, and basically they lost all of their offensive talent and they've had issues in the secondary and they've hovered around .500, because their GM was so incompetent. Bear in mind that they made two striaght AFCCGs and those teams weren't really that talented to begin with. It's crazy what he managed to do with that team, and now that he has more of a say they're looking scary (except their secondary is very very injured). Tomlin just inherited a really good team and worked wonders with it; their offense is significantly more talented than the Jets offense. I guess the reason ends up being that Ryan is naturally a defensive line coach so he knows how to pressure a quarterback.

Also his son and I had bio together in 10th grade (he was in 9th grade) lol

I agree that Ryan has done an impressive job with limited talent on the Jets, particularly offensively (2 AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez?) Tomlin inherited a Super Bowl winning team and has managed them ok I guess. The standards by which coaches are fired usually isn't very consistent, sometimes they're out after one bad/mediocre year, other times they stick around for quite some time.

I see. And true, Tomlin did inherit a Super Bowl-winning team. He managed to bring them back a few years later though, and win. And then he brought them back again two years later and almost won a second time. Plus Tomlin's still kind of a young guy, he'll be a pro someday. All coaches gotta start somewhere, after all.

Edited by Anacybele

Brees showing us that the only way for him to complete passes on the road is to throw to Jimmy Graham.

EDIT: Saints need to find a way to get rid of these road woes. Jesus Christ. So many third down conversions and somehow they burned 7 minutes off the clock without a score.

Edited by Lord Raven

Cleveland...beat the Saints? What. The Bengals are about to win too. This is going to put the Steelers in dead last in the AFC North already. Damn it... >_< They need to pull what they did last season and start a major comeback right now. Only make those almost-successes definites this time.

But on the good side, the Panthers blew out the Lions 24-7, hell yeah. It just sucks that the Steelers, the way they've been playing, won't stand a chance next Sunday against them. I predict another blowout, unfortunately. I'd rather see a good competitive game too, honestly. With Big Ben putting up a way better fight against this super Panthers D and the Steelers D putting pressure on a still-not-100% Cam Newton.

Those Lions are kinda back to being pure suckage though wow. Missed FGs, a bunch of fumbles and dropped passes, lol.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, but Cleveland generally always had issues no matter where they played. It looks like this may finally be their year for real. I'd say they've been playing better than either the Steelers or the Bengals, and can give the Ravens trouble. Just...dang.

My two favorite plays in this Panthers game though, definitely that sick one-handed catch by Kelvin Benjamin and Luke Kuechly's blocking a pass (Kuechly is really cute too, imo. And I agree with the announcers that he looks kinda like Superman lol). Kelvin Benjamin needs to be more consistent though. He dropped a perfectly catchable ball on the play right before he caught the thing with one hand. And he was a bit shaky earlier before that.

Edited by Anacybele

San Diego beat Seattle and McCown has two rushing TDs. Damn.

Cardinals: Oh Chargers are going to win. *Loses*

Seahawks: No way Chargers will win. *Wins*

Chargers are quite the underdogs and somewhat inconsistent xD.

oh man oh man oh man

great job rams! for stl, tampa bay is a tough opponent--it's a good thing the rams have that not-so-secret-weapon known as greg zuerlein. offense wasn't getting shut down (pass-wise) this week, but they've gotta improve in every other area, pretty much. austin is exceeding expectations, though.

plus, the seahawks lost.

good day. now we'll see how well the 49ers do soon.

I just remember basically blinking and it went from 20-7 to 20-28.

I thought the niners were going to drain the cloxk for the win but then Kyle Fuller got his first pick and the Bears never looked back.

Tonight's game should be a lot of fun to watch. Who do y'all think will take the win?