NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

It's not called a dink and dunk system, it's called the West Coast offense. Idea is to get receivers like Antonio Brown the ball in stride so he can make a play, as well as march down the field slowly but surely and consistent. It's a lot of quick, short passes (not quick deep passes because the terms are contradictory) which is why Ben lasted a whole season last year and why he may last the season this year (unless he keeps getting hit). It's also the same scheme that around half the league runs to an extent (see: the Ravens, Browns, Chargers, Giants, Packers, Bears, and that's off the top of my head...)

Also, what you're saying about your RBs is pretty much the same as what Dameshek said. That Pierce USED to be the go-to RB, but the other two guys are changing that.

its also very different to what you are saying and it's also bad writing to rate struggling teams as highly as he has. For instance, Lacy has not been doing well this season at all, and the Steelers offense hasn't been great either. Colts have outscored the Steelers and the Packers by far (twice against weak Ds and once against a strong Denver D). I'd also have to look through that list some more but Steve Smith was a better Antonio Brown in his career except he's very, very physical (which antonio isn't). On top of that players like Ryan, Flacco, Cutler, Stafford, Luck, Newton, and Rivers are more talented than Ben due to their arm strength or accuracy (or both). And the premise of the article is ridiculously stupid because a QB/WR/RB combo is not the only thing on an offense and they are screwed if the OL can't block and the WR is covered. That's why I say Dameshek is a poor writer and the only reason you linked it is because it praises the Steelers.

There is a reason I'm not linking articles saying he Ravens are the #5 team in the league according to these "experts." Because I haven't seen enough to convince me either. And Vermilia is refraining from the same because there is no way in hell the Chargers O sustains itself without a run game.

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but a player's performance in a few games doesn't define their overall skill and talent. The Steelers' offense has been having some trouble because the o-line isn't allowing Ben a lot of time to get rid of the ball and if he can't get rid of the ball, none of his receivers can do jack shit. But when Ben DOES successfully get that ball to someone, it's produced a lot of great results. The only game where this didn't happen is the one against the Ravens.

There were also some dropped passes against the Bucs, but there is still praise for your receivers despite dropped passes against the Bengals.

But look at the game against the Panthers. The o-line performed excellently and look at how many great plays we saw from Ben, Bell, Blount, and Brown. Man, there are a lot of Bs on this team. lol

Anyway, I don't think the Steelers are in the top 5 right now myself. They have too many defensive issues to be that high.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't think the Steelers are in the Top 15 right now :p I have the Ravens as #6 currently. I'm not an expert but most of the experts can't predict much anyway, so it doesn't really metter.

What do Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger have in common?

They were both intercepted by Haloti Ngata.

EDIT: So much for a shootout...

Edited by Lord Raven

The Steelers managed to go a full quarter without getting more than one penalty (and that penalty was on special teams). I commend that.

But why the hell is Ben suddenly not able to complete passes anymore? I think he only completed 2 out of maybe a dozen so far. And some of these passes were to Miller and Brown (Antonio, not the trash that's Justin Brown) too, two guys that almost NEVER miss a pass.

This is why I want to watch the game, not just track it online (it's not on TV here...) Tracking doesn't tell me if it's miscommunication, passes being batted down, or the receivers just plain missing them.

EDIT: CORTEZ ALLEN PICKS IT OFF!! That's his second interception this season now, hell yeah. :D

Edited by Anacybele

the best we can say is we held them to 6 points in the first half and we get the ball back in the second

and shit yeah i had the bears D/ST last week and they gave me -1 points (But i won anyway) and this week they have 15 points so far... carolina be strugglin

The defense needs to do a little better than this. The Steelers are leading now at the end of the first half, but they're against one of the worst offenses in the league... Seriously.

It feels like Cortez Allen is the only one pulling anything off. And wtf Polamalu. Bad time to take that risk again.

I like how the announcers described LeGarrette Blount though. A "Blount" force. XD (pun on the word blunt)

Edited by Anacybele

he's also had his last name used against him when he was busted for weed earlier in the year lol

and of course there are those fools that wanted him to go to denver or seattle..

Edited by Lord Raven

Woo forcing turnovers in the red zone. Jaguars defense does not look like Swiss Cheese this week surprisingly.

Guess the offense has to give up points to make up for it then :/

Edited by -Cynthia-

Aaaand we get a PICK SIX!! Right after that turnover to the Jags. Hell yeah! lol

Also, even better news: both the Ravens and Browns are getting their butts kicked! Come on Steelers, this is YOUR week again!

EDIT: Tomlin challenged the spot of the ball on that last play. Good move. I honestly find it funky myself that the refs called 4th down without even MEASURING that shit. It was REALLY close.

EDIT: And they didn't overturn the ruling. God damn it. I'm pretty sure that was really a first down too. Can't believe how badly screwed that was.

Edited by Anacybele

And the Steelers go 3-2 while the Ravens look like they're about to get beat with the Colts in the redzone with about two minutes to go! The Browns could come back in their game atm, but the Steelers were ahead of them anyway (but I still hope the Titans don't blow this). Great day for a fan wearing black and gold. ^^

EDIT: Aaand, I spoke too soon. >_< Ravens got a fumble recovery. I must've jinxed the game. >.>

Edited by Anacybele

ugly ugly game in indy today lol we just recovered a fumble with 2 TOs and 2 minutes left

EDIT: FUCKING TORREY SMITH AND MARLON BROWN

you can always count on ravens receivers to make drops on a potential game tying/winning drive...

Edited by Lord Raven

Ravens lose, Ravens lose. :awesome:

Also, get this: Those TDs the Steelers got were BOTH made by second string players. lol wow.

EDIT: The Panthers win too!! It's a great day indeed. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

can't wait until eugene monroe comes back... I guess not having pitta is starting to wear on us but hurst was getting blown up all day and receivers just sorta gave up in that final drive... but shit our D forced 4 turnovers (one on a KEY redzone) and picked off luck twice in the redzone... this was a really good offense and I had this marked as an L back in July (I predicted like 3-2 by this point because I predicted a loss @CLE rather than vs CIN) and wow our D looks impressive moving forward, and this isn't even our complete defense yet... Will Hill still has yet to come back.

Terrence Brooks looked really good in our Big Nickel and Webb did pretty decently today everything considered. We held them to 20 points despite losing TOP by like 20 minutes, too.

Chargers 21-0 leading the Jets. Our running game is looking MUCH better letting Branden Oliver take the snaps rather than Donald Brown. But we haven't produced enough running yards to safely say our offense is doing really good. I can safely say though, defense is doing great 3 INT. 2 from Brandon Flowers former Chief. In which, he allows Eric Weddle to take risk in making a play. We have allowed 63 points with a turnover ratio of +5. With a total of 114 scoring points right now (Half time)

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

Oh yeah, I have to say that our o-line and defense stepped up today. Though not enough to tell if they're strong now because they helped beat a winless team that's one of the worst in the league. But that D forcing two turnovers and some three-and-outs is really nice. ^^ As for the o-line, Ben got sacked two times, but other than that, they protected him really well and that Jags front seven is actually a GOOD part of that team. It's their pass rush that sucked lol. Couldn't stop Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, or Le'Veon Bell when they got tossed balls and they allowed a TD by a second-string TE.

There were still a few ridiculous penalties though, and Mike Tomlin is getting on these guys' case about it, I hear, but seriously, I think the fans have had enough of those dumb post-play flags. >_>

The o-line has proved that they DO have the ability to protect Ben really well. He had all day to get rid of the ball in several plays. They just need to figure out how to be more consistent with this.

Chargers shut-out Jets 31-0. Branden Oliver has talent, and could possibly salvage the run game though not yet convinced. Mathews will be back against Denver so I'm optimistic.

Oh, now the Bengals are losing! I didn't expect the Pats to be able to do much to them after how badly they'd been playing lately. I'm pleasantly surprised! These Bengals need to start losing too.

Steelers only scoring 10 offensive points against Jacksonville should be somewhat concerning on their end.

I don't know, you said yourself that for once, the Jags' defense wasn't "looking like swiss cheese." And imo, they DO have a good front seven. But they allowed us to convert a lot of long 3rd downs and once again, Ben and his guys got to the endzone starting from inside their OWN ten yard line.

And no one should forget how many points Ben and his offense came up with against a high-ranked Panthers' D.

Admittedly though, I did expect our offense to play a little better against the Jags.

Edited by Anacybele