NFL 2014-2015 Season: Super Bowl Champion Patriots

Anacybele

And why couldn't Sanders play like this when he was with us? He doesn't even have butterfingers anymore (ie, no longer dropping passes). ._.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Sanders dropped a lot of perfectly catchable balls, is what I'm saying. So unless Ben put an oil bomb on the ball or something, he had nothing to do with it. Sanders has also been known to fumble while with the Steelers.

Edited by Anacybele

Manning puts more touch on the ball than Ben probably. He doesn't put quite as much velocity on his throws than Ben does. On top of that Sanders plays in an offense now that fits him rather than Arians offense that requires big bodied receivers... and again Peyton does put more touch on the ball so it's easier to catch, and he's more accurate than Ben too...

Edited by Lord Raven

But Sanders was in Haley's offense too. :/

And like I said, it has nothing to do with accuracy. It's that Sanders dropped perfectly accurate passes. He was mediocre compared to Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery.

Edited by Anacybele

Idk about Haleys offense either cause he was suited to that (I have no idea why I was thinking Sanders was on the Jets, I was definitely thinking of Santonio Holmes). The other idea is that Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, and Wes Weller are far more dangerous to deal with on that offense which allows Sanders to be a better outlet receiver (also keep in mind that 3 of his 4 TD passes were in that game; he was primarily used as like a slot receiver). Antonio Brown and Cotchery and Heath Miller are basically scrubs compared to these guys at any rate. Also before this game Tamme and Julius Thomas got the ball in the redzone but I guess the Chargers tried to nullify the TEs so they gave Manning the right matchup.

And then the other idea is that he may have a better WRs coach in Denver given the fact that Bubba Caldwell could be used as a competent receiver in this offense. I think people really underestimate the effects that a good position coach can have... For instance the Ravens from like 99 to 2004 never allowed over 3.8 YPC on the season and could hit the passer very very easily, and our DL coach was Rex Ryan, who is focusing on the same things as a head coach (and when he was a coordinator).

Okay, fine, but I disagree completely that Antonio Brown is a scrub receiver compared to any receiver in the league. None of the receivers you mentioned have come anywhere close to matching his total receiving yards this season except for Demaryius Thomas since he just played and surpassed Brown. Brown could very well take back the number 1 spot on Sunday. And as I said earlier, Brown was number two overall last season. I brought up other good points about him too. He can make sick catches, he can play QB and toss passes, he can dodge defenders, he can do it all. And he's doing it on a team that's generally struggling while the guys right below him on the list are from the Packers and Colts, both very good teams. He's one of the best in the league at least.

You're probably right about Miller and Cotchery though. Cotchery was only really good in the redzone and he's not even being used much in Carolina. Miller is just past his prime, though he can still get the job done pretty well.

Edited by Anacybele

Welker is much better at his role than Brown is at his, Thomas is a bigger, faster, and quicker Brown. Julius Thomas is leading the league in receiving TDs.

Yards aren't a good measure of production at any rate; that stat is skewed by garbage time and the competition for catches. If we are judging by yards then Randy Moss wasn't even close to having the best season ever for a wide receiver in 2007.

Brown definitely doesn't have the pure strength, size, and straight line speed (that the top receivers have ON TOP of everything else you mention) that receivers like Megatron, Bryant, Thomas, Green, Michael Floyd, and Sammy Watkins have... And he's also not nearly as physical as Steve Smith who can do all that AND power through opponents. Brown is jammed at the line fairly easy which shows in his matchups against the Ravens where Jimmy Smith is especially good at doing exactly that.

Edited by Lord Raven

Except I'm not judging by only yards either. I'm using this in combination with the team Brown is playing for and what he's done for them. Like I said, he's used his skills do a lot of great shit on a struggling team. He's carrying the pass game by himself.

You told me similar about Eddie Lacy last year for the Packers. He was carrying their run game despite their struggles. Antonio Brown is doing the same for the Steelers' pass game.

He was carrying their team with Rodgers out. Not just their run game. Brown is not carrying the team. And the argument was that Lacy was doing this as a rookie which is why he deserved OROTY over Bell.

Brown is still only a borderline top 15 receiver. I can still name 10-15 receivers better than him (and none of them are Ravens before you shoot your bias card on me, tho I prefer Steve Smiths aggressive style to Browns finesse).

Anyway candidates for OROY, DROY, MVP, CPOY, DPOY, and OPOY? What do you guys think?

OROY: Kelvin Benjamin, that one rookie linemen on the Cowboys, Sammy Watkins, Matt Ryan (cause we made his ass look like a rookie last Sunday, Derek Carr, Larry Donnell

DROY: CJ Mosley, Kyle Fuller

DPOY: JJ Watt, Haloti Ngata, any Ravens OLB, Jimmy Smith, DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, Von Miller, Rolando McClain, Ndamukong Suh, Darius Slay, bunch of other dudes in the Lions, Eric Weddle, and possibly Alterraun Verner for his role in that Ravens game.

OPOY: Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, some dude on Cowboys OL, Demarco Murray, Marshal Yanda (PLEASE LORD), Andrew Luck, Antonio Gates, Ryan Leaf

CPOY: can't think of any right now - Justin Forsett, Von Miller, Rolando McClain, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Rob Grownkowski, Brett Favre

MVP: JJ Watt, Demarco Murray, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Andrew Luck, Kirk Cousins

Edited by Lord Raven

Alright then, if you say so. I still think Brown is better than you give him credit for. I will agree though, I'd take Steve Smith over, say, Markus Wheaton right about now.

I agree with you on Kelvin Benjamin. He's been doing great for a rookie receiver with or without Cam Newton to feed him passes and TDs.

I think the MVP should be Pey-Pey though, what with all these records he's breaking lately.

Edited by Anacybele

I think Luck is probably better than Manning, but Manning will get it because of things like breaking the TD record(not sure how that's actually relevant to being most valuable this season but w/e), being old and not having many years left, and being a media darling. It's Favre all over again. I can't really be bothered to care who actually wins the awards anyway luckily.

If I had to win now, I'd take Manning over Luck. Luck still has a propensity for turnovers even though he's playing out of his mind. I don't think he should get MVP based on records and personally I do believe MVP should be reserved for someone who is not on a stacked team but having a great season (which is Phillip Rivers, who still does have one of the greatest tight ends of all time to throw to).

I agree with Raven, Eddie Lacy deserved the OROY last year even over Keenan Allen. He literally carried the entire team on threads. But hey at least Keenan Allen got Pepsi's Rookie of the Year.

EDIT: Gates makes me want to try football for freshmen year lol. Since I'm a basketball player though I don't his body size, I think I could play a Free Safety, Wide Receiver or Cornerback, since generally in basketball I catch the balls a few times during fast breaks. I also intercept passes pretty well. More likely I'll to avoid contact in the head, but it's unavoidable since it is in fact a dangerous sport.

http://youtu.be/jdtSB3aD_oc?t=4m34s This is an example of a basketball game I had earlier this year, sadly I missed the lay up ;p

(Also called for travelling because I tripped lol)

Edited by Vermilia Scarlet

If I had to win now, I'd take Manning over Luck. Luck still has a propensity for turnovers even though he's playing out of his mind. I don't think he should get MVP based on records and personally I do believe MVP should be reserved for someone who is not on a stacked team but having a great season (which is Phillip Rivers, who still does have one of the greatest tight ends of all time to throw to).

Yeah maybe, but I doubt that's going to happen- team around the player doesn't seem to be a big consideration and Peyton is more popular.

Good news for San Diego fans, apparently the mayor supports rebuilding a stadium or renovating Qualcomm. Basically should dispel all rumors of any potential Chargers move.

I know that's been going on for a while. Union Tribune has been supporting the election of these specific mayors, as they promised that the Chargers will have a stadium built. They're planning to pay it through the hotel taxes by Petco Park, iirc. It will also be located by Petco Park also. Though, there is a chance it'll be somewhere Downtown/Oceanside. They want to make San Diego a "first class city." So their idea is to have the county share funds between each others in order to support it.

I'm not sure if this is good news or just okay news: Blount is going to replace Dri Archer in kick returns for the Steelers. Archer is struggling, yeah, but I don't think I've seen Blount do much better at this lately. But I guess every little bit counts, and Blount IS harder to tackle than Archer.

Imo, Archer can potentially be a deadly offensive weapon in the future because of his speed. The little guy just needs to grow (too bad he can't do this literally. xP). If he can teach himself to do things like zip around defenders, hurdle them, and basically other stuff that Bell and Brown do, he'll be ridiculous out there.

EDIT: Oh, but some ACTUAL good news! Shazier should be coming back! We need that guy in a game against a team like the Colts. He was having a great season before he got hurt and was a contender for DRoY.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not sure if this is good news or just okay news: Blount is going to replace Dri Archer in kick returns for the Steelers. Archer is struggling, yeah, but I don't think I've seen Blount do much better at this lately. But I guess every little bit counts, and Blount IS harder to tackle than Archer.

Imo, Archer can potentially be a deadly offensive weapon in the future because of his speed. The little guy just needs to grow (too bad he can't do this literally. xP). If he can teach himself to do things like zip around defenders, hurdle them, and basically other stuff that Bell and Brown do, he'll be ridiculous out there.

EDIT: Oh, but some ACTUAL good news! Shazier should be coming back! We need that guy in a game against a team like the Colts. He was having a great season before he got hurt and was a contender for DRoY.

DAYUMM, I NEVER REALIZED HOW FAST DRI ARCHER ACTUALLY IS o.o.... HIS 40 YARD DASH TIME IS 4.28 seconds.

EDIT: AYE WE'RE GETTING MATHEWS BACK ON WEEK 9, I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M SPEAKING IN CAPS BUT THIS IS A GOOD THING, OLIVER WILL BE PLAYING THE WOODHEAD ROLE NOW :)

I know, I had hopes for Archer when I saw him do some really nice runs in the preseason. Imo, he needs to work to be a deep WR. He'd get to the ball fast enough for it to not wind up "overthrown" and he could potentially outrun secondaries like crazy. And despite his height, if he can jump pretty well, he can outdo a defender on him and catch a high ball by leaping for it and beating out whoever's covering him. Archer needs work, but hey, all players gotta start somewhere. Even Troy Polamalu admitted that he wasn't any Ryan Shazier in his rookie year. He had to grow too, just like the rest of 'em.

EDIT: Wait, Archer is actually an RB? That's dumb, he's not built to be one. There's part of the reason he's not doing great. He'd be better as a WR. Look at Antonio Brown, he's a bit of a little guy too and he's amazing.

Edited by Anacybele

Yah but from my understanding (just reading his scouting report), Archer is very raw, he doesn't have much strength and is just a speedster (so he should be more of a running back) he is very very contact shy, is a bad route runner and doesn't have very good hands. I see him as a poor man's Tavon Austin, with quite a bit of Chris Johnson in him (btw I never thought Chris Johnson was a good RB either).

If an RB is raw, though, then it's never a good thing. The difference between a rookie RB and a sophomore RB is very marginal and you will rarely see a Ryan Mathews type that improves a good amount as he gets older.

Edited by Lord Raven

Well, I just want to see what the Steelers do with him in the future. Who knows, he could get better or he could just not be built for football.

Also, Lord Raven, guess what? I'll be rooting for your Ravens tomorrow. If the Steelers win and the Ravens beat Cincy, the Steelers get second place in the division. :D

You would think, except that right now, the Steelers are only one game behind the Ravens. If they win tomorrow and the Ravens also win, the Bengals get knocked back and the Steelers are still only one game behind the Ravens. If the Bengals win, the Ravens would be 5-3 and the Bengals 4-2-1. The Steelers would still be stuck in third.

And guess who the Steelers play next Sunday? The Ravens! If they beat them too, they'd both be 6-3 if we're going by the scenario in which the Ravens beat the Bengals and the Steelers beat the Colts. Then we've got a shot at the division title.

EDIT: However, if the Steelers lose to the Colts... Then the Bengals winning over the Ravens would be more favorable, I think.

Edited by Anacybele