WORLD CUP 2014

Parrhesia

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just went down with cramp. But he's not going to let himself get taken off, I'll bet - he wants that third.

He just went down with cramp. But he's not going to let himself get taken off, I'll bet - he wants that third.

oh well

After England's performance against Italy I wasn't exactly sure of a Uruguay win - but Suarez done England twice today.

Suarez is the best striker in the world right now, and he wasn't even 100% today.

Is anyone still fooled by England?

England are a decent enough team but I have no idea why I picked them to go so far in the tournament.

They will be pretty fucking great in four years, though.

Italy need to beat Costa Rica, then Uruguay, and England need to beat Costa Rica. Italy progress with 9, the other three locked on 3, England can top on GD.

Edited by Parrhesia

well...Im pretty sure that England can still make the next group if there is either a miracle or a very pathetic perfromance by Costa Rica

You're about the only one.

They will be pretty fucking great in four years, though.

How many times people said that?

Italy need to beat Costa Rica, then Uruguay, and England need to beat Costa Rica. Italy progress with 9, the other three locked on 3, England can top on GD.

So Costa Rica can look forward to a streak of success then? Fufufu.

I've never known the english team to actually be good. Sure they have the Premier League and all but that rule of a certain number of players needing to be actually english says a lot about just how much these teams import.

Maybe English teams should start training youth like happens in a lot of other countries. They may have the premier league but on the national level they have all of wayne rooney to show for it.

The Premier League might be one of the best if not THE best League in the world, but check out how many foreigner players there are in the top teams.

Manchester City had ONE english player in their starting 11, IIRC. Chelsea also has like 3.

Anyway this Greece/Japan game is UGLY

It's mathematically possible, which was all he was saying. It doesn't need 20-0 wins for anyone like Norwich on the final day of this season but still. You can say something can happen without saying it's likely.

How many times people said that?

England generally bring an old, past-it squad of wasters. This time they only had half an old, past-it squad of wasters, they brought (largely because they had to) some very good players who are children, not just one or two like Walcott in 2006. This team will be significantly stronger in four years, but it was a mistake I'll concede to think they were ready for it now. (I didn't think they were going to win the Cup, though, obviously)

England does have a fair share of promising young players now, but defense-wise they are complete shit. Jagielka fucked up in both goals (although Gerrard does have the biggest share). Welbeck is absolute crap, and Sturridge and Sterling, while good players, are way too immature and individualist.

Uruguay even though they had a risqué strategy(MUSLERA saved their asses a couple of times ffs), outclassed them completely. Alvaro Pereira was a BEAST today, and Arevalo was fantastic too.

England does have a fair share of promising young players now, but defense-wise they are complete shit.

Jagielka fucked up in both goals (although Gerrard does have the biggest share).

Welbeck is absolute crap, and Sturridge and Sterling, while good players, are way too immature and individualist.

In four years players like Stones will have stepped up.

Jagielka is 31 and Gerrard 33.

Sturridge and Sterling do need maturity. In four years, one would expect them to learn. They are 24 and 19. (Welbeck I'll concede happily.)

The squad will be a stronger one in four years, barring disaster.

31 is an ideal age for CBs tho. Baresi played until his mid 40s and still was world class after all.

I do think this squad still has lots to improve, specially mentally. However, regarding Sturridge/Sterling I wonder how they would fare without Suarez supplying them.

BTW tomorrow's games are rather SHIT huh? Besides Italy/Costa Rica, I imagine them being 90 minute snooze fests

Yer like parr said, im not saying they will go thru, but its technically possible, however unlikely, am i right?

Nah, i reckon that the ideal age for CBs is around 28 when they could hit their peak. Also, Baresi is an exception. He was in a class of his own and hasnt been topped. He was one of the only people to be able to play so well even when he was 35+

Regarding the English team, i reckon that Sterling is playing excellent, but he could do with some more maturity and experience like y'all have said. Sturridge however, just needs to be a little better at excecuting his moves well

Edited by Necromancer

Far from trying to compare Baresi's skill to anyone else, tho. Just saying that it is more common to have older, more experienced CBs than an ancient striker. England could've used Terry as one of the starting eleven and he would fare better than Cahill, IMO.

Brazil had Lucio in 2010 and he wasn't a complete shit(in fact his 2010 season at Internazionale was amazing), and Thiago Silva is almost 30.

ON THE OTHER HAND we are seeing some pretty young defenders playing at a high level lately. Varane is one AMAZING cb for his age, and Marquinhos is very good too.

oh i see. But i get what you mean now. CBs tend to play for a bit longer in top flight that strikers. I also agree that Terry should've been in the squad. He hasnt done horrible and can do just as well as jagielka

Yeah, Varane is an excellent defender imo and i hope he gets more playing time next season. He played particularly well under Mourinho, but didnt play much last season unfortunately