Coloring pencils >>> Crayons?

I've never been much for crayons, when I was a kid. I mean, Crayola was pretty cute, with it's box and pretty colors and stuff. But, liek, I hated how they didn't "color everything" anywhere as much as coloring pencils.

Now that I think of it, they're pretty interesting, I suppose.

Not much of the drawing type nyself, but I can agree that colored pencils not only color everything in, but also allow you to shade in a slightly lighter/darker tone(I really don't know. All you artsy-fartsy people tell me if I'm right on "tone").

I got high-quality Faber-Castell pencils in my expedition through World Capital Germania. Tariff-free. Yay.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

People who are really skilled in crayon can make something great out of them.

While pencil is, by far, an easier-to-deal-with media, in the end it's about how much control you have over the media you use. Fuckers out there can make smoother-looking pieces with fucking pastel than I do with photoshop or oils. Like fuck, man, you wouldn't even know it's pastel until you see the artist sitting there with their pastels working on the thing.

Talented motherfuckers.

Edited by Thor Odinson

^ Crayons can do that tooAnyhow, colored pencils are basically just crayons encased in wood.

I was being vague about that. Crayons leave all those white splotches and markers can't color at different initnsities(maybe two at the most).

I have some experience with most mainstream art media. A good marker can simulate blending if you're skilled with it, but you gotta get the expensive shit.

Or you're just really fucking good.

In which case you'd probably want the professional grade stuff anyway. I have a set of oils that cost me more than $200. But they're quality shit. Makes a difference. Most people's experience with art supplies is generic school supply types, because if you're not going into art, it's not worth getting the professional grade material. But they do work a lot better.

People who are really skilled in crayon can make something great out of them.

While pencil is, by far, an easier-to-deal-with media, in the end it's about how much control you have over the media you use. Fuckers out there can make smoother-looking pieces with fucking pastel than I do with photoshop or oils. Like fuck, man, you wouldn't even know it's pastel until you see the artist sitting there with their pastels working on the thing.

Talented motherfuckers.

Is it sad I don't know much of anything about all that?

Is it sad I don't know much of anything about all that?

I've been doing art for 16 years of my life and I look at art far more than the average person

so unless you're looking to become a professional artist or at least somewhat competent at art it is not required material to know

just sit there and look pretty and pay us professionals (or in my case, not quite professional even) to draw you stuff 8D

Edited by Thor Odinson

Fuckers out there can make smoother-looking pieces with fucking pastel than I do with photoshop or oils. Like fuck, man, you wouldn't even know it's pastel until you see the artist sitting there with their pastels working on the thing.

Talented motherfuckers.

There is nothing quite like enrolling in a community college art class and watching half of the students go from learning color theory to making pastel paintings that look like anything but pastel in under six months.

There is nothing quite like enrolling in a community college art class and watching half of the students go from learning color theory to making pastel paintings that look like anything but pastel in under six months.

...What happened to the other half? :mellow:

TIL that coloured pencils and crayons are not the same thing oO

Honestly, I'm actually pretty sure that I learned back in 3rd grade or so that "crayon" was the word for what we call "farveblyant" (color pencil), and then I just picked up "colored pencil" somewhere else and never really thought about the difference until now.