First Part-time job

Monde

So I figure since I'm now the age to apply for one, I should. Anyone have tips on finding one? Heard it's pretty difficult getting one these days, but I suspect that it's just being over-exaggerated.

Also, any stories you'd like to share about your first part-time job?

Oh man, so delivering newspapers was the first thing I did, when I was like 12 or 13. It was super lame and I hated and didn't make like any money.

When I was 16 I started working at a fast food place, and I learned quite a bit about work ethic and life and all that jazz than I thought I would from such a crappy job.

It *might* be tough based on your age for finding a job, like if you're 15 or so and the laws are more stringent. The fast food place wouldn't even hire me till I turned 16 cause they didn't wanna deal with all the red tape needed. Otherwise, you should have no issues finding a part-time job. Good luck!

Oh man, so delivering newspapers was the first thing I did, when I was like 12 or 13. It was super lame and I hated and didn't make like any money.

When I was 16 I started working at a fast food place, and I learned quite a bit about work ethic and life and all that jazz than I thought I would from such a crappy job.

It *might* be tough based on your age for finding a job, like if you're 15 or so and the laws are more stringent. The fast food place wouldn't even hire me till I turned 16 cause they didn't wanna deal with all the red tape needed. Otherwise, you should have no issues finding a part-time job. Good luck!

Yeah, a lot of people I know did newspapers and had the same opinions, aha.

Well I'm at said age so maybe it will be easy for me I hope. I was considering one of the three McDonald's near me but it does seem rather crappy like you said. Thanks, dude.

It's kind of hard to get one at this time of the year, at least in Canada. Most places start hiring sprees in April/May and August/September, centered around when people come back from universities or go away to universities. Honestly, apply everywhere. Almost no job is below you, if you're getting paid for it. Money is money! And if you have connections, use them. Knowing people who work and can help get you in increases the chances of getting a job a lot.

It's kind of hard to get one at this time of the year, at least in Canada. Most places start hiring sprees in April/May and August/September, centered around when people come back from universities or go away to universities. Honestly, apply everywhere. Almost no job is below you, if you're getting paid for it. Money is money! And if you have connections, use them. Knowing people who work and can help get you in increases the chances of getting a job a lot.

True, I should have applied for one earlier, but it was inconvenient for me at the time. I figure a lot of my classmates will apply at the local mall, but it wouldn't hurt to try, but I'll probably have to try the huge mall downtown which means I would have to bus there. Anyway, might sound strange, but how do you talk to the people at the counter? Like, do you just go up and be like "Are you hiring?" and hand in your resume?

Best way to do it is to ask for the manager, and once they're there say who you are and that you're looking for a job, and give them your resume. If the manager isn't there, just ask to drop off the resume.

Best way to do it is to ask for the manager, and once they're there say who you are and that you're looking for a job, and give them your resume. If the manager isn't there, just ask to drop off the resume.

Good advice, if you don't ask if they're hiring they can't turn you down, aha.

Thanks man, hopefully I can get one soon after exams,

do a cleaning job. cleaning is easy

Slow down there, Mr. White.

Pretty awful at cleaning anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, might sound strange, but how do you talk to the people at the counter? Like, do you just go up and be like "Are you hiring?" and hand in your resume?

Well, when i went around to get a job, i said

"Hi there, i was wondering if you guys have any jobs availiable that i could apply for", and then if they say yes, say something like "great! heres my resume". abut if they arent, say "well heres my resume, if anything comes up, i'd like to be availaible for it, thanks"

At least, thats how i got my job anyways

It's possible your parents have friends who work at places that could do with a part-timer or a summer intern. Your parents can ask for you much more naturally than you could approaching people you might vaguely half know, and if there are potential openings your chances of getting one will likely be much higher than if you simply send a resume or apply online.

I got my first job at 17 this way, and I didn't even know what the place was until I showed up. It was the best paying job I ever had in the US. 8[ But no matter how you go about it, job hunting's a bit of a crapshoot, and this is only one of many possible approaches.

Edit: I can't spell.

Edited by Wist

Yea, thats one more thing thats helpful. Connections. Just ask family and friends if they know anywhere possible, and there might just be a chance that they know something. But if it makes you uncomfortable, then maybe just ask a few people (i havent done this before, so i can relate)

I never got a part-time job, so I can't actually help on that front. But what I will say is that paid work gives you a tremendous sense of fulfillment and purpose, far more than schooling ever did (your specific mileage may vary). You're working to help more people than just yourself, and you're being paid for it. Nothing motivates you better than that.

I went around and applied for a bunch of different places. AAFES hired me almost right away and I would recommend them if you live near an American Army or Air Force base (they only serve the military, as AAFES stands for Army and Air Force Exchange Service), but they've fairly recently had to cut back. They've cut everyone's hours, not just at my location, but around the world. So I wouldn't imagine that they've got many positions open right now.

But if you apply for a bunch of different places and keep applying, eventually something should come up.

It's possible your parents have friends who work at places that could do with a part-timer or a summer intern. Your parents can ask for you much more naturally than you could approaching people you might vaguely half know, and if there are potential openings your chances of getting one will likely be much higher than if you simply send a resume or apply online.

I got my first job at 17 this way, and I didn't even know what the place was until I showed up. It was the best paying job I ever had in the US. 8[ But no matter how you go about it, job hunting's a bit of a crapshoot, and this is only one of many possible approaches.

Edit: I can't spell.

This is how I got work too, not counting some per diem work taking care of people's houses in my neighborhood and stuff like that. I also agree with what Parrhesia said about work being fulfilling.

I never got a part-time job, so I can't actually help on that front. But what I will say is that paid work gives you a tremendous sense of fulfillment and purpose, far more than schooling ever did (your specific mileage may vary). You're working to help more people than just yourself, and you're being paid for it. Nothing motivates you better than that.

that's pretty spot on. getting a job does help with your maturity. it did with me

Edited by Aizenberg

AAFES hired me almost right away and

I've actually wondered this for a very long time - is it possible to get hired by AAFES if you're not active/dependent/retired military (EDIT: read: don't have base privileges)?

Edited by Integrity

do a cleaning job. cleaning is easy

Cleaning is relatively easy, but it is hard work, and the repetive movements are bad for the body. I have a part-time job where I clean at a small hotel, and believe me, changing duvet covers and vacuum cleaning four hours straight gets heavy.

Getting the job was easy enough, but I was also extremely lucky to get a job the first place I applied. I wrote an application, and gave it to the manager. The best tips I can give you is to be really thorough with the application, and to give it to the manager personally.

Great advice. It's nice to know that you're helping people out. But, being in a job that you dislike must give off quite the opposite action, huh?

How'd this go for you Monde? Find something or still looking for a job?

I tried to go around the local mall handing in my resume to places. My mind was all set and ready to do so, but the second I was there my morale pretty much broke.

I was too nervous to do much but at least I handed in resumes to 4 different stores (movie theater, pharmacy, Ice cream joint, grocery store). Pretty sure I left a bad impression on some of them despite their friendliness.

Sadly, it's been a week and there has been no reply. :< Should have applied for more places or try another mall nearby...

I tried to go around the local mall handing in my resume to places. My mind was all set and ready to do so, but the second I was there my morale pretty much broke.

I was too nervous to do much but at least I handed in resumes to 4 different stores (movie theater, pharmacy, Ice cream joint, grocery store). Pretty sure I left a bad impression on some of them despite their friendliness.

Sadly, it's been a week and there has been no reply. :< Should have applied for more places or try another mall nearby...

Entry level jobs rarely pursue you (especially at busy places like a mall). You need to show them you want the job by calling one the places you applied and asking for an interview. Yes I know it's stupid and backward, but that's how it worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea if you're still searching for a part time job, but don't let rejection or bad impressions put you down. I got my first part time job via a "School to Work" program back in High School. The first place my teacher sent me she sent someone else who was more qualified too. Sure, it really sucked when they would ask questions and I'd feel like a fish out of water, but you just give your best answer and try to ignore or shake off the nervousness. Heck, I almost didn't show up for my interview because I was so scared of looking like an idiot.

Afterwards I went and used my Mom and Dad's contacts rather than the teacher's. The lady who hired me liked me because of who I'm related to and how I presented myself. I wasn't dressed too fancy, but I didn't dress lazy either. I agree with a lot of people in here who say to use contacts, they really do give you an edge in trying to get a job.

As for applications, some places (at least where I am) have the forms sitting near the front desk or the cash register. If you don't find it, you could just ask the employee who is at the front if you can have one, if not turning in your resume works too.

I think it's okay to be nervous because having a job is a big deal.