Return of the Emblem Chapter Thirteen: Revelations

Phoenix

Bound Will

"Well," Raphael shrugged and let his arms fall, "assuming this merc's information is actually useful, I could see them cutting the survivors a break. Probably still all going to be living in a cozy cell for a few years, though."

"I doubt that," Alexis sighed, "there's a war going on, and there aren't enough people to fight it. Even if they don't find his information particularly useful, they will still have three usable bodies; and one a mage."

"They're not going to force prisoners to fight while we're in a stalemate, "Raphael shook his head in disagreement, "maybe if the imperials gain more ground ... not before, though."

"I am not serving in the army, again. Ever," Wynn glared at Alexis.

"I know a lot about you, Wynn; you came out of Horizon, and that makes you too expensive to simply execute or lock away in a dark hole, somewhere. They can do away with your free will entirely if they want to. They will destroy your identity and replace it with one they can use against the Neviskotians. Trust me, I know."

Wynn's eyes narrowed in disgust, as he contemplated her words. In Ursium, it was flat out illegal to experiment with mind magic as a whole. The excluded types could still get a practitioner spied on constantly, and none of these regulations were going to stop the upper echelon from doing whatever they pleased, but Wynn couldn't help but wonder if things like this were really going on, particularly with people from prominent places like Horizon. How many soldiers out there were would be deserters like him and Reign, brainwashed and stuffed back into the lines? "No ... I won't let them do that to me, or anyone else."

Raphael shrugged at the fool notion of stopping something of that nature, while Alexis smiled faintly. The words may have been coming from a belligerent mage with almost no tact, but they still resonated with her.

Party'O Three

"If it was that easy, I would just go by myself," Olga replied. "Neither of us can carry or even drag two people at the same time. We need Bron for that." She decided not to mention that for now she was only interested in saving Nico, Liza, and Liliya, since she was perfectly fine with going back to help others once her own rescue mission was complete. For now, however, this was her top priority.

Bron waved once he spotted Olga, and began to jog over as others headed through the northern gate. "What's going- ... uh ..." Bron's greeting petered out quickly when he saw that Robin was with her. Not sure what to think, he inclined his head quizzically at Olga, hoping for an explanation. On the one hand, the fact that she seemed to be getting along could mean she had come to realize that she wasn't some scapegoat for the plan to steal Ascension. On the other hand, maybe she had only smoothed things over with Olga and was still ready and willing to berate him for that bit of paranoia.

Olga waved back at him. "Don't worry! she's not mad abou-" she quickly stopped and turned toward Robin, "You're not mad about the sword thing, still, are you?" And for some reason, rather than wait for an answer, she turned back toward Bron, and started waving again. "Don't worry! She's not mad! Come on! We're going back into that room to see if the twins are still there!" Mad or not, they didn't really have time to sort out any lingering feelings right now.

"Hey, that's actually a good idea," Bron mused to himself. "Alright, it's faster than going in on foot, anyway."

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmm, Horizon, you said? That's the private mage academy, right?" Axel said, as he looked over each of the five prisoners briefly. "Funny about that, though, since we have a dropout from there in our group. Maybe we should see if you know each other, assuming she's even conscious right now."

"And rage or ill will I hold towards you is more than overcome by the knowledge that you are still alive. There is a huge difference between hating a living person and wishing them to die after all." replied Robin in a simple tone. In truth, while she hadn't FULLY forgiving them, she wasn't just going to let someone she knew get roasted alive and knowing that they were alive was a lot better than knowing that they had been executed.

"And it is very good to see you too Bron. Knowing you are alive is great, especially with the big possibility you could have died in the battle."

La Demande

Wynn's expression darkened. Raquel really was here. He'd thought it was just Jethro, but Alexis had mentioned both of them when explaining the situation to him. Axel's words confirmed it. She was definitely here. Barely restraining the fury that was building up in him, he asked, "Where is she? And I don't want to hear any of your stupid crap. Just tell me where she is."

Raphael spotted Jethro and Veronika heading their way out of the corner of his eye but didn't say anything for the moment. For now, their intention looked like little more than genuine curiosity, though it was somewhat jarring to see Jethro armored like a tank from the waist down, and completely bare up top.

What

"That's ... good," Bron nodded, not sure what to make of some of what she'd said. Just as well, as Olga had been preparing to warp them, and seemed to be casting, already. He hurried over and arrived just as the glyph spread out to encompass their little group. They all disappeared in a brilliant flash of light.

"Wait ... what?" Carmen didn't know what to make of the situation, now. The one healer nearby had just vanished. "Where did she go and why? Having someone nearby to treat the survivors could be the difference between life and death!"

"So get another healer over here," Nadine waved dismissively, "It's not like we're good for dragging bodies around, living or dead. Might as well keep clearing out the smoke or go get help for the survivors."

Burden

With little else she could do, Athena began to head over to where she thought the royal guards she'd brought with her would be. Along the way, she looked down at the heavy gauntlet on her right hand. There was more to the citadel barrier than she had explained to Major General Belo. Frankly, the full extent of the system didn't seem relevant to the situation, not unless the fight against Invictus turned into a civil war. They had already killed so many of them, though. The thought of there being anything left of their ranks beyond simple holdouts was terrifying. "I'll wait ... and see how this situation develops," she decided. "Still, we need to find out how they knew about the system at all. Either we had a traitor a long time ago, or we have one right now ..."

"Excuse me, sorry!" Athena's pegasus reared back slightly and snorted irritably as a mage rushed on by her.

"The nerve," Athena hissed; the mage was already too far away to hear. She could tell right away that he wasn't one of Langley's people, or Belo's. That meant he was probably a mercenary. That didn't make it less annoying, but it did make more sense to her, now. She couldn't expect a random mercenary to recognize her as Princess Shastak ... especially not without her guards around. "I should really catch up to them, shouldn't I ..."

Rendezvous

"Gabriel," Zachary called over, having finally caught up. He hadn't taken down any enemies, but not for lack of trying. The enemies he was closing in on were completely wiped out by the banshees, and since they didn't immediately follow up by picking him off, Langley's soldiers ignored him. He was still surprised to make it this far without someone stopping him. They must have really liked their commanding officer. It was just a shame she was most likely dead.

"Oh there you are," Gabriel nodded.

"You two know each other?" Gabbie inquired without opening her eyes.

"Well, after you guys left me at the inn," Zachary began with a playful edge to his tone, "I had to figure out where you went. I ran into Gabriel here at Weyland Enterprises and we got to talking. I just wish we could have gotten here, sooner."

"Belo's probably busy with her men, and Langley's out of commission," Anna mused aloud, "so who the heck is in charge, right now? Is it Taylor? If so I need to find him and let him know that we're tracking the artificials."

"Foinally, they stopped moving," Gabbie said, clearly tired of trying to keep up with their movements.

"Keep Gabriel updated," Anna said, "I'm going to go find Taylor and let him know what we're planning. Then-" "Actually," Gabriel cut in gently, "if it's all the same to you, I'd rather try and help out Belo's people. I'm not immortal but I can handle smoke a little better than most people. Who knows, maybe she'll even start to like me."

"I doubt it, but go'head. Zach, you're up. Stay here with Gabbie. Gabbie, if you have to leave to keep an eye on them, let Zach know first and pick a rendezvous point that's close enough for us to catch up to you in case there's no other way to communicate."

Courtyard Woes

Patricia rushed out of the gatehouse with one of her men to an infuriating reminder that she and her people weren't out of fire just yet. For now, her top priority was getting him out of harm's way. After that, she would return with a better organized rescue effort and save anyone still alive. If they could find out where the fires were, they could probably put them out before things got any worse.

So far, Lyra and the other wind mages were doing a decent job of pushing away the smoke, though they were focusing on the smoke at ground level for the time being, clearing a path for the others and uncovering as many people as they could. Lyra recognized every single soldier they found, alive and dead. There were far more casualties than survivors so far, but with any luck ...

Two Dozen is a Crowd

When the light left them, Olga and her two helpers found themselves in the room that controlled the citadel barrier. It looked quite different from the way it did the last time they were there. The fire had spread all over the main building, and now the paths leading to the room glowed orange and reached through the cracks in the doors. The smoke was minimal in the area, however. What was most startling about the area now, really, was that not only were Liza and Liliya still here, but almost two dozen others were, as well, mostly noncombatants. Even Nico was with them, lying next to Liliya. There was definitely a story here ...

"You came back," Liliya smiled.

"And you brought Robin," Liza added, surprised, but otherwise neutral. "When we told them about this place, the soldiers herded us and anyone else they could find back down here and shut the doors. They probably thought they could stop the fire from spreading all the way down here. It's looking like that didn't work out," she ended, glaring at the glowing crack in the door off far to her right.

"They meant well, but they sort of ... trapped us in this room," Liliya explained, pressing her index fingers together. "You're our only way out, now, so we were starting to worry that you weren't coming back."

"Wow, this whole situation is just sad," Olga muttered.

Dolls

"Why are we stopping here?" Zerachiel asked. Nearby, Samael was leaning against a rooftop staircase enclosure.

"The museum is right over there, and I want to check in on the girls," Samael answered dismissively as he grinned off into the distance. Glancing over at Zerachiel, he added, "Invictus may or may not ultimately succeed, but their little war with the establishment this evening is serving as a wonderful diversion for my own activities, here. They're plenty capable of dealing with ordinary threats, but a little precaution never hurts. The artifact they're acquiring for me doesn't need to be exposed to any heavy fighting."

"Oh, the dolls." Zerachiel crossed his arms and sighed. "You know, normally I'd make fun of you for playing with dolls at your age, but after seeing what Alexis is capable of ... I wouldn't mind starting a collection of my own. First Alexis, then Perugia if she can actually fight worth a damn."

"Don't those Invictus thugs keep saying she's on par with Road, their leader?" Samael sent Zerachiel a curious glance.

Zerachiel grinned and nodded as he approached Samael. He stopped once he was standing more or less beside him. "That's what I want to see. Since we can't go back for Alexis right now for whatever reason, we might as well go see if Perugia and Road are still alive."

"I told you, you've lost too many men. We could go back, but we can only kill so many before we're overwhelmed. As for checking up on Invictus, I don't care how they're doing, and I doubt you care, either. I take it you just want to see the avian in action?"

"You probably will, too," Zerachiel retorted, "she looks just like those dolls of yours ... well ... with more curves, shorter dress, more personality. Vaguely like your dolls."

"I'm going to let my girls know you said that about them," Samael replied.

Veronika monitored the prisoners closely as she walked over, watching them in turn. She flinched a little when she saw the fingers of the man she attacked earlier, though she was relieved to see he did not die.

"Your leader there," she said, nodding her head towards The Boss, "asked me to make sure that the two of you received fair treatment. What were your reasons for joining a criminal organization?" she asked Thany and Wynn, looking at them both in turn.

"I don't know, ask him," Axel said, pointing towards the shirtless Jethro, who was approaching along with Veronika. "I guess the wait's over."

This could get interesting. Especially if Raquel had been injured.

The yelling had stopped, alarmingly enough by the time Blake had approached the source. Someone- Blake couldn't make out much, thanks to the smoke- was lying on the ground, motionless. That did not bode well. The swordsman picked up the person -or body- as quickly as he could, turned around and hurriedly began to return to the entrance. Whoever he was carrying was, hopefully they weren't dead yet.

:she looked towards the person that talked to her: "a criminal orginization? all i did was listen to my boss going on my first mission, heck. i didnt even want to be here since the one who hired us was an ex-brigand. but boss convinced me otherwise." :she said at Veronika:

Disappoint

"Invictus, Wynn? Really?" Jethro chimed in, sounding only mildly disappointed, but looking ready for a brawl.

Not feeling any inclination to explain himself to Jethro or the red haired woman, Wynn cut straight to the chase. "Where's Raquel?" Jethro shook his head at the question. As if he was going to let him anywhere near his daughter after he rode in with the people trying to kill her and everyone else.

"Wynn's not one of mine, really," the boss noted, "but I'd appreciate it if you just pretended he was. He's a good kid; he'll be alright once he learns to calm down. Thany and James here are my mercs." James was conscious, but practically pretending otherwise. He had nothing to say, and didn't want to draw too much attention to himself.

"Thanks for the help, but I don't care for Ursium's brand of mercy. Now tell me where Raquel is, dammit."

"Listen," the boss focused on Veronika, "we all worked for Leo, me and my people as sellswords, and Wynn as a lieutenant. That's the 'ex-bandit' Thany's talking about. That 'skotian, Zerachiel, forced Leo to give us over to Alexis for this attack. Leo just kept us around to protect himself and his interests, not to take on the kingdom directly."

That confirmed it; the organization and Invictus were in league with each other, though it was starting to look like a master and servant relationship than a partner venture, which made sense considering the organization's ruthlessness. If the Boss' testimony wasn't enough, Alexis was sitting right there. Jethro hadn't recognized her at first, but once her name was mentioned, he made the connection. The same hair color, the same shade of blue she typically wore, the violet eyes, and that aloof expression of hers. It was all there, only slightly veiled. If what the mercenary had just explained was true, however ... she was the one behind this attack. The only person from that life he would have ever considered a friend had orchestrated this massacre?

Fortress Wind and Fire

Patricia made it out of the fortress with the soldier she'd found and motioned Nadine and Carmen over. "Go get a healer and keep them here so we don't have to carry them all the way back to the tanks. One of you stay here and keep an eye on him. I'm going back inside."

"Ma'am," the two acknowledged the order. Since Carmen had been preparing to head back, already, she got to that, leaving Nadine with the task of keeping watch over the soldier.

Inside the courtyard, the mages began to consolidate their efforts, clearing huge amounts of smoke out of their way through careful coordination. Soon, there was a path from the northern gatehouse all the way to the main building. At last, Lyra could see why there was so much smoke. The main building was completely on fire. She doubted there was even a way inside, or any rooms that the fire hadn't yet spread to. They weren't rescuing anyone from that blaze and she had no idea how they were going to put out such an epic inferno. "We're probably losing a lot of documents in that blaze. Luckily we don't keep everything in the main building ..."

"Raquel won't be coming to speak with you. If you have something to say, say it to us," Veronika advised the man apparently named Wynn. Zerachiel doesn't sound like a Neviskotian name at all... "Where is this 'Leo' and where is this 'Zerachiel'?" she asked the boss.

Raquel wasn't going to come meet with Wynn- who Jethro evidently knew-, which meant that she was probably unconscious at the very least. While that didn't really bother the lancer, that didn't bode well for the insolent prisoner.

"Why were his interests involved in taking on the kingdom, then?" Axel asked the mercenary leader, unconvinced.

Edited by Snike

Questions

"I don't have anything to say to you people," Wynn shot back, "tell me where she is." He had a feeling she was having some injuries from the battle treated, but that wasn't reason enough to wait here if she couldn't come to him. Though, Jethro apparently thought otherwise ...

"Let it go, Wynn. I'm not letting you anywhere near my daughter until I find out why the hell you're with Invictus of all groups." And here I thought Reign was the awful one ... "By the way ..." his gaze steadily wandered to Alexis, "what are you doing here, Alexis?"

"I wanted to ask you something. Hopefully you'll be honest and forthcoming, like usual ... a lot of people died for this meeting ... on both sides." She could tell she'd struck a nerve there, but she needed to make sure he realized that he was the reason she was here, and why this battle had taken place in the way it had.

"Look," the boss pulled himself up a little, "everyone in Invictus who isn't a hired thug is in it to reform Ursium, Leo's no exception. He didn't hire us for this street war, though. That was clear as day in the agreement we made. The 'skotian's the one that came along and changed the rules. Don't ask us where either of them are because we don't know. Now then ... I'd rather leave the rest for when the Major General's back. I'd rather get her word that my people will be handled gently ..."

Veronika considered the man's words carefully- it could be possible that they had noble intentions that the Organization exploited, she supposed. Or he could just be lying to try and save the lives of his men- also possible.

She crossed her arms in response. "Like I said, Raquel won't be coming to speak with you. That's all I have to say on the matter unless you can give us something useful," she said, looking at Wynn.

"And your boss trusted a Neviskotian to help 'reform' Ursium? That explains a lot," Axel said, as he shrugged. "Hate to break it to you, but your boss is either a fool or a liar if he told you that he didn't think that things wouldn't end up like this, a street war."

Blake escaped the smoke and carried the army personnel out of the fortress, only to find Nadine nearby, keeping an eye on an unconscious soldier.

"Are we to bring survivors back to the tanks?" Blake asked the mage once he had removed the cloth from around his mouth. It served no purpose anymore, now that the smoke was being cleared.

:Thany felt enraged and leaned forward and pointed angrly at Axel: "HEY, You take that back. Boss would never lie like that. and a FOOL? what do YOU know that went on back there? cause i'm sure you who know nothing YOURSELF!" :she said with such rage:

"Easy there. I wasn't talking about your 'boss' here, I was talking about this 'Leo' fellow, the ex-bandit," Axel said to the irate archer. "And you'd have to tell me what you mean by 'back there' before I can tell you what I know about it."

:It was back at that moment Thany realized she probably jumped the gun.: "...oh... is that so? sorry i jumped the gun, forget i said anything then. you can talk bad about that ex-brigand as much as you want."

Edited by Thany

Answers ... Sorta

Wynn had a bit more to say to Veronika, though nothing kind, but his train of thought was lost when Thany snapped at Axel. Her target wasn't the least bit surprising, but given the situation, he'd expected her to be harder to set off than that. She reined herself in just as quickly once Axel cleared up the confusion. Just as well, though he definitely didn't like the guy; they just weren't in a position to do much more than flail angrily.

"Oh for gods' sake," the boss groaned, pained by both the retorts and his closed wounds, "Leo's not the leader of Invictus, he's just the one who hired us." He didn't care if Axel was making irritating claims to try and drag a bit more out of him; he still had a bit left that the Major General would be interested in, and he really didn't want to have to clear up that misunderstanding later.

"Fine, if you won't tell me where she is, then I'll find her, myself," Wynn said, only managing to take a single step before Jethro interjected.

"Sit down, Wynn," Jethro shook his head as a warning. "If you remember, Alexis isn't the only one I want an explanation from, so why not focus on that for now ..." He'd fully expected what came next, and as Wynn widened his stance slightly, so did he. The stubborn mage was not getting past him.

Options

"They'd be safer with the battalion, but Carmen already went to get another healer," Nadine replied. The bit of unexpected trouble with this rescue situation wasn't that they needed treatment as soon as they could get it so much that carrying them all the way back to the main group was too much for most of the mages and virtually all of the pegaus knights that had come on foot. Blake could clearly handle it, but Nadine and Carmen wouldn't make much progress trying to drag full grown men weighed down by armor and strung on weapons to safety.

"If you can get him back before Carmen gets back here, he'll probably get treated a little faster. Otherwise, you should probably leave him here with me and go look for more."

"Indeed, this situation is sad. But it seems our choices are limited. We stay here and die or begin to warp back out with Olga." said Robin as she looked at the glowing light under the door and wiped her brow from the heat. "I can carry one of you, you should be no heavier than a buck, but I am but one person."

"Never said he was THE leader. Though he's likely to be a leader if he had a lieutenant," Axel responded to the 'boss', before Wynn tried to leave and Jethro blocked his way. That could turn ugly rather quickly, so the armored man focused his attention there, just in case he needed to intervene.

Carmen? That was probably one of the other mages, and so who they were didn't really matter right now. What mattered was whether or not he'd go to get this soldier healed faster, or whether he'd go back inside the fortress to bring out more survivors immediately. The man on his back still wasn't responsive, so it made Blake's decision easier.

"To the tanks, in that case," Blake said, as he began to walk past Nadine. "I'll be back."

There was a chance that the delay in healing would doom the soldier, and that wasn't a chance his rescuer was willing to take for the time being.

Comparisons

"Come on, kid, think for a second," Raphael chimed in, "even if you beat Jethro, someone else is just gonna step in and conk you on the head. You'll wake up with those famous waking words, 'who hit me?', and you'll be wondering about it all day in your shiny new cage until the 'brainwashers' show up. That what you want?" Either way, it probably wasn't going to be Raphael who stepped in, as he was casually leaning on his weapon and wouldn't be able to react to anything serious in a timely manner.

"You're a prisoner right now anyway. Why don't you tell me why you're with Invictus in the first place? If you do, I might let Raquel know you're here when she wakes up. At least you'll get one visitor," Jethro offered with a shrug. He couldn't make any guarantees in a situation this out of hand, and unfortunately Wynn was well aware of that.

"She was my best friend back at the academy," Wynn's eyes narrowed in barely restrained rage as he stared down Jethro, "do you really think being a part of Invictus changes any of that? Do you really think I'd do anything to hurt her or put her in danger?"

"That's what I'm trying to find out."

"Keep in mind, Jethro," Alexis interjected, "Invictus doesn't want Raquel dead ... they don't even know who she is. Our ... I'm sorry, I meant to say my people, do. That said, shouldn't you be more concerned with my intentions than his? I wouldn't have caused so much trouble if I wasn't still reasonably loyal."

Suddenly Jethro was uncomfortable with how similar his and Wynn's situations were. It didn't make him trust the deserter, but he understood why Wynn felt so insulted. Raquel was important to both of them, but he the scrutiny he'd gone through for being aligned with her enemies was so minimal that it may as well have never happened. "I'll get to you in a minute," he said to Alexis.

"Excellent. Then perhaps I can finally hear your side of things."

Help

"I'll be here ..." Nadine muttered shortly after Blake decided to take the man to a healer. She considered sitting down to spare her legs for a little while. Before she did anything, several figures emerged from the fortress. She recognized a couple of them from the unit, but the rest were from the garrison, Belo's people. The latter also happened to be the ones being helped along or simply carried away from danger.

"Hey," she called over, "take him, too!" Hopefully Carmen would make it back soon. Together they might be able to handle at least one person at a time.

Knowing the Risks

"Staying here is not a choice," Liza growled. She was annoyed by this point because Olga was busy counting heads instead of warping people to safety. "What are you doing?"

"Maaakin' sure I don't overdo it. If I screw this up, I'll spend the rest of my days as a potato and anyone still in here will be dead," Olga casually explained as she continued counting.

Bron crossed his arms and nodded, agreeing with her. "It's a pretty big group. I'm guessing at least two trips, but probably three. That's four to six warps straight ... and after everything else you did today ..."

"Yeah I'm cutting it pretty close, here," she forced a smile. It didn't do anything to make Bron feel better, though.

Just So You Know

"I'm sorry, Anna," Miguel frowned, "we're in no shape to go after them. We're not even sure if our commanding officer is going to pull through. Morale's just too low for this and with Belo's forces in shambles, our unit's going to have to hold the fortress for the evening."

"We don't need that many people," Anna quickly noted, "I'm telling you the plan because a lack of communication could get us killed later. It would be better if we could borrow some scouts and bowmen, but I can make due with whoever will help. I just don't want to let them get away, again. If we do, the next time we fight them, it'll be on their terms, and sooner or later, our lucks going to completely dry up."

"I hear you," Miguel nodded, "seems the Eastern Task Force's luck is already running low ..."

(bleh... what an inconvenience this all is... first mission.... and this is what happens... surely boss is really disappointed in me... being held prisoner like a civilian who got captured by a brigand...) :Thany kept quiet to herself since nothing here was addressing her, not that there was anything to address:

Wynn seemed to be Raquel's friend- Jethro seemed to believe him more or less so Veronika decided to take him at his word for now.

"You all should choose your friends more carefully. This 'Leo', whoever he is, decided to sign you up to work with an extremely dangerous criminal organization. Perhaps you did not intend to hurt Raquel, but you did attack some of her companions," she admonished Wynn and the other Invictus members.

That confirmed Raquel was at least knocked out, if not seriously injured, but Wynn didn't seem to pick up on that. Instead he challenged the notion that his joining Invictus changed anything.

"Well, considering you turned on your other friends by joining Invictus..." Axel said, with a shrug.

Keeper hadn't bothered to respond to Apex's suggestion about going outside since they were clearly already almost done with the gate. Instead he'd jumped away again, muttering under his breath about staffs. He hated carrying it around but appearances were appearances. It was bad enough a masked figure was teleporting people out of the building. He didn't need to add more to it. He'd managed to find more survivors, and had left them all next to the healers, though he hadn't made it obvious that he was teleporting them all out. After all, they were trying to be somewhat subtle.

Erion had zoned out slightly after Robin had left, staring at Raquel. With a sigh, he shook his head. "Sorry Amalia, my mind just went blank there for a bit. I should probably go see if there's anything I can do to help out there..."

Finally, Uri sat back and sighed. "Right. I think... I think that's about all we can do. She should be ok now. The lung is really the only thing I'm not... 100% sure about but it shouldn't be too much of a burden on her."