Return of the Emblem Chapter Thirteen: Flight

Phoenix

Thoughts

Employer? Shadrak repeated the term in his mind, I hope he's not under the impression that I can actually pay him. Maybe Raquel could, but I'm not swimming in coin like she was. Ingret's offer to take the conversation somewhere else was more than welcome since it gave Shadrak time to figure some things out before inquiring about the details from the man, himself. "Yeah, I'm sure there's a bench or something around here somewhere. Let's head west for now; that's basically the way I came here," he explained.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Very well."- the vagabond knight nodded in agreement as he began walking westbound at a slow pace.

"Do not worry about payment, I was already given my share from the girl. Though I must ask, are you traveling alone? I was told,... well the things she said were quite boring, she just went on and on about inane things. Still, I was to understand that she was traveling with a group with this... Raquel woman as your commander?"

Arrangements

Heh, 'commander', I don't think so. "She was technically in charge, yeah," Shadrak admitted, not wanting to bother explaining the particulars of that arrangement. "I'm traveling with a different group now, though." ... with about the same level of leadership issues. "Anyway, if your payment's already been taken care of, there shouldn't be any problems." Shadrak reminded himself to thank Chelsea for this at a later date. It was quite fortuitous for Ingret to find him first.

"I see."- with Shadrak's statement he decided to leave things at that for the moment. There was no use in attempting to gain information while standing in the streets where just about anyone could overhear them, and besides keeping his Skotian accent away from his normal common, while not particularly difficult, was a pain in the rear. "Though that's just me being nitpicky. I'm just not comfortable with large crowds of civilians. After all, if there's one thing the civvies are good at, it's gossip and hearing information that should not pass their ears. We should discuss more at a remote place... or at the very least, somewhere where there are few people.

Curiosity

"While we're walking," Shadrak spoke up after a long moment of silence, "you might as well tell me more about yourself. I should know who's watching my back for the time being." Normally I'd be suspicious of someone coming to offer me a service, me specifically, but if Chelsea sent him, he's probably more suspicious of me than I am of him. I doubt anything awful is going to come of it, and I could definitely use someone who's been paid to be on my side, heheh.

Efficiency

It just depends," Greta shrugged, "They ought to keep things reasonably up to date but ya really can't count on them carin' about small fry when the bigger fish are splashin' around like crazy." Schwartz was a big fish, alright, and likely still on some people's minds, even with all of the trouble happening up in Europa. "I'm still gonna go check at the jail house once we're done, here, but for now I'm just glad there ain't no one I know up there."

"My cousin won himself a trip to the gallows a couple of years back," a weak looking stranger spoke up. "What a waste." He didn't seem particularly interested in starting up a conversation on the matter; he was walking right on past the group, albeit a bit slowly. Greta figured he had a bad back. He looked to be in his late fifties so it was nothing to fret over ... but he could certainly use a cane if he was out and about like this. That she firmly believed.

Edited by Phoenix

"Ah, of course; actually I have not told you my name as of yet."- the lilac-haired man blinked twice as his brow furrowed. "Something is wrong with me today, I'm not normally so off-kilter. I mean yes, I have a tendency to space out, but... I must be getting old." The older man shook his head to dispel any leftover drowsiness.

"My name is Ingret Muzeez and I am a traveling mercenary, as you can imagine I sell my services to whomever needs them. I am not good at fighting people... that is to say I am not very good at offensively hurting someone. However, I possess superior defensive skills to make up for my shortcomings, and should be well-equipped to protect you from most of the blows that you should otherwise sustain."- Ingret said in 'matter of fact' tone.

Roles In Battle

Shadrak smirked a little. "You just leave the 'offensive' stuff to me, Ingret. My spells can tear down enemies easily, I just need cover in order to cast some of the stronger ones. If you can handle that then this arrangement should work out wonderfully."

Norbert, himself, had simply returned to the tree's base and resumed quietly leaning against it. Usually, it seemed, quiet, calm spans of time was an all-or-nothing deal. It was difficult to tell when they'd be attacked or when they'd run across something considered atypical by normal standards. However, often times, they were allotted stretches of peace and quiet during the night or on the road. This was one of those little spaces of time where things were peaceful, and yet they weren't travelling or sleeping: one of the more unusual circumstances.

Usually, Norbert spent an opportunity like this training. However, given his desire not to attract attention, he opted for taking time to hive himself a rest. They'd been riding for quite a while and he really had no idea just what would crop up in the next hour or so. True, he was no longer travelling with Raquel, but they had just recently gotten some Wrathites thoroughly angry with them. All that considered, the rider couldn't help but breathe a quiet chuckle. So this must be what "normal" is like. Normal problems, normal precautions, normal threats... It's kind of nice, in a way. Heh. And to think, I used to try to avoid getting in trouble like this... This is nothing. Compared to what we had to deal with when we were with Raquel, anyway.

As he contemplated these things, a frown progressively made its way onto his face. It's so calm... His brow furrowed. He really did try to enjoy it, and for a while, he'd been able to. I wonder what Raquel and the others are dealing with right now... Dragons? The Fallen? Bandits? Vasili? Suddenly, the calm and quiet was becoming the opposite of enjoyable. With nothing else to focus on, unease threatened to turn into worry.

Norbert's eyes flicked around the little camp for something to distract him. There wasn't much going on. There was no use in checking on how his body armor was coming along either as it had been repaired and returned and, in fact, he was presently wearing it. And hadn't that alchemist lady gone with Greta and the others anyway?

The pegasus rider simple took in a deep breath and quietly released it. Come on, can't I relax anymore? This is getting annoying... We finally get some time to just rest and I spend it worrying... This is stupid. So, Norbert determinedly attempted to force himself to relax, one ankle crossed over the other, his arms folded over his chest, head bowed, and eyes closed. By his expression, though, you'd think he was trying to lift something off the ground with his mind...

Tia pondered for a moment. "Well, he smelled my hair. Maybe that was just him trying to get a treat, then. At least he didn't start chewing, or something." That was that sorted, then. They weren't up on the wall, and even if some guards maybe knew them from recent orders, it was nice to know they could walk around with little worry. "Alright, let's go do something. What do you want to do, Lumi? I don't really know what I could get done outside of looking for some books, so, feel free to drag me along with your plans instead."

"Ah, shit, there is a scratch..." Eva frowned, groaning, and walking off to get a whetstone. It must've been when she ran that Wrathite through, perhaps a part of his armor slid against the blade too hard. Nevertheless, it was an easy fix. And... "I wonder if you're doing that just to get people to stare or something," she said at Angelica, not really being loud or anything, just getting it out of her head as she passed by. She started rummaging through one of the sacks hanging off of Sasha, the wyvern glancing back for a moment before resting his head back down. "Now where is that stupid stone...?"

"Basic exercise is paramount for keeping yourself in shape, Eva. Or are you saying I should submit myself to the life of a slovenly frump just because people might object to my routine? I think not... not that I'd even live long enough to get to that point if I fell out of shape." Angelica replied with an obviously fake scowl plastered on her face, as she began some more intensive exercises.

"Ah. That is most fortuitous... though you mentioned that you were traveling with a different group. I must ask now, in the event that we should participate in combat with your companions, should I place some modicum of effort in protecting them should the situation call for it? Or would you rather that I only focus on protecting you specifically?"- Ingret barraged the dark mage with an even tone evident in his voice. He really did not want to protect anyone else, but Chelsea did say that Shadrak was traveling with a group. Even if it wasn't the same group Chelsea told the mercenary about, he had to know if the young man would ask something insanely stupid, like protecting everyone... Mercy knows that the troubadour would attempt to whack him for a question like that.

Before Shadrak could answer his questions, the knight looked over to the side, and to his surprise, there was a bench located near them, but strangely the area surrounding the bench, a couple of trees that provided some shade, and a couple of flowerbeds off to the side, was devoid of people. The streets were filled with hustle and bustle, but it seemed as though no one cared for the are around the bench. Fortuitous for both of them, as Ingret wanted to talk more at length with Shadrak.

"Shadrak, I believe that area would suit us well."- Ingret pointed at the bench, and began walking towards the area in question. As he did so, the lilac-haired man took off his excessively large backpack, and with one hand, threw it with ease. The bag landed with a loud *clunk* and right next to the bench. Ingret then positioned himself on the far left side with his hands resting on his lap.

Respite

It took Shadrak longer than he thought it would to actually answer that question. Between the various issues with either and Ingret's mention of a place to stop and rest, it took him nearly a full minute to decide. After sitting down and placing the books down beside him, he gave the matter one more bout of deep consideration. Would he have Ingret focus on guarding him under all circumstances and risk alienating some people, or would he risk his own safety by having Ingret help others when it was called for? Typically it was called for whenever an enemy was even looking in an ally's direction, so he didn't see himself benefiting much from the latter. Still, maybe there was a middle ground that was reasonable but still of no risk to him ... "Hmm ... well, don't let anyone die just to protect me, not unless I'm also about to be cut down, of course. If they aren't already hurt ... I wouldn't worry about them too much. They aren't amateurs, or anything." That was about as far as he was willing to go in the wake of the cathedral and demon battles.

"What's in that bag, by the way? You're armor?" Normally he wouldn't have cared, but Ingret didn't seem dressed for guard duty, so he was hoping the man had some armor somewhere and wouldn't just be blocking blades with his muscles or something equally ridiculous. Such fighters required a lot of maintenance and Shadrak didn't see the point of having a guard he'd have to constantly heal.

Nadya didn't find the prospect of checking out the jail a particularly good idea, but she didn't really feel like talking Greta out of it. "Well, gettin' supplies and trade goods is our first priority I think. What's on the list?" she asked Greta.

Eva smirked. "You know what I meant. But that's alright. I'm not complaining. Keep stretching." Eva trained her eyes on Angelica for a moment before walking back over to the wagon, and starting to slowly scrape the stone over her sword, to try and buff out the dent. The last thing she needed was the sword snapping on some tougher armor because it stuck fast in the middle of a slash. Or blocking with it... She shuddered at what would happen if that occurred.

Shopping Trip

"On my list or Angelica's?" Greta replied to Nadya with a half amused, half annoyed look. "Her stuff'll probably fit in just one crate so it shouldn't be too much trouble. I'd personally like to see if there isn't someone sellin' a full wooden wagon around here. I want to find somethin' I can turn into a mobile kiosk. That'll be wonderful for business in Kigen."

Knock Knock

Joanna flinched, the gentle rustling of the emblem piece in the box on her lap having startled her. It was so faint that she barely heard it. Anyone else in the wagon would have been hard pressed to, due to distance. Joanna also felt the emblem's movement, which was the primary cause for her start. It only happened once, however, and she briefly wondered if her own breathing hadn't caused it to simply roll over onto one side or something to that effect. "Hmm ..."

"Maybe you should let it out for some air once in awhile," Fizza advised. She wasn't joking, but like usual, her tone and teasing expression implied otherwise.

"I think it would be less of a temptation inside this box," Joanna replied, sounding like she didn't fully agree with her own statement. Given everything that was happening, she probably was wrong about that. The box could only hide the fact that there was an emblem piece. The method used to lock it wouldn't stop anyone who had real intentions with it, of course.

Outside the wagon, Amon sighed and let his hand fall to his side, his curiosity sated, and his heart extremely heavy. This was all the confirmation he needed. Most of what he knew was ... for lack of a better term, pure instinct. Everything he couldn't quite put into words regarding the emblem had become something else entirely. He'd asked for something too vague instead of simple, academic knowledge, and now he wasn't surprised that he was in this situation, now. Loosing another sigh, he let his head fall forward until he was staring straight at the grass. "I hope they get back soon ..."

Shopping Trip

"Your stuff is the first priority- if we have time for Angelica's stuff then we can do that after. Wagon might be tricky to find though, if it's one that ain't gonna fall apart if it gets looked at funny people are gonna wanna keep that," Nadya said, scanning around for something that might prove suitable.

Knock Knock

Joanna's voice broke Liam out of his thoughts and he turned in her direction- she was talking with the female Rexian apparently. Liam simply watched for the moment, he didn't think she would suddenly try to steal the emblem piece or anything...but she could.

"I would hope that they are not amateurs, this job would be tedious otherwise."

The knight gave the younger man a curt nod, showing that he understood his wish. Then the conversation shifted to his bag.

"Somewhat. My armor, my weapons, supplies, mementos from my youth... you know, the essentials one needs when traveling by his lonesome."

"But back to the matter at hand, you're with another group. I would like to ask... just what exactly are you doing with this new group? I was told by the young lady that the original group was on a mission of parental retrieval... something about an emblem and a vasili as well?"

Shopping Trip

"There're a couple of ways around that," Greta noted, "but I hope I don't have to use any of'em. See, I could buy the wood and metal to have a wagon made and then hire some folks to build it, but that'll take well over a day unless we get real lucky. Another way is to find a really banged up one or somethin' the owner can't use, anymore ... missin' horses or somethin' like that, buy it off'em for cheap and fix it up on the way." Nadya had more than enough gold to buy any kind of wagon Greta needed, and for nearly any price range, but Greta felt that asking her investor to put in more than a relatively small percentage without a steady income of their own was downright abusive at this point; she still wasn't even completely certain she could get her business up and running again in Kigen. "We got any carpenters in this group? I forgot. Could save us some time on the banged up wagon approach, but I'd still need to buy at least one hauler. Maybe a mule this time."

Different Roads

It certainly sounds like Chelsea didn't spare any details, there. Shadrak rubbed his chin for a moment, trying to find the best way to frame everything. He was also a bit unsure about how to handle the situation involving the wrathites. If Ingret didn't hear it from him, he would hear it from the others eventually. "This could take awhile, so ... bear with me," he warned the older man.

"Mhm, I'm listening."- Ingret told the young dark mage as he relaxed on the bench, his arms behind his head. He had a brief explanation from Chelsea, but it was all so scattered and useless, she really didn't give a good explanation towards anything... just the basics really.

But to be perfectly honest, Ingret felt a headache in the making and he did not know why.

"Yeah, we don't exactly got enough time to stick around. There was a guy with us once that could do some wood carvin', but he left a while back. I dunno the folks in our group that well for the most part though, maybe one of 'em is good at that kinda thing," Nadya replied, shrugging.

Bench

"To start, Raquel's group was formed when a group of criminals attacked her in Port Sergio. I didn't come along until a little later, but I stuck around to learn more about the emblem piece she had and to lend a hand however I could. Of course it's hard to learn about something like the emblem when Raquel refused to do any training with it, and it's hard to protect her when she charges headlong into random problems. It wasn't all bad, but I figured if I was going to make anymore progress whatsoever, I needed to leave. There's more to it, but as far as I'm concerned, they were just slowing me down."

He paused a moment, trying to think of how he should explain his presence in the current group. "There's an emblem piece with this group too but right now I'm looking for alternatives to it because the person looking after it is even less inclined to use it than Raquel was. Other people in this group are here for a variety of reasons but pretty much everyone's in agreement that we need to do something about that demon attack in Europa. We're headed to Kigen to do just that. We're just passing through Ursaea on the way. We're kind of in a hurry, though ... things in Europa went terribly before we actually managed to leave ..." he trailed off, not sure he wanted to explain that part and incriminate himself.

Northern Gate

"Well for now I got some basic supplies, stuff I know I can profit off of no matter what's goin' on locally," Greta explained, "weapons and armor, though ... not really my thing, and I doubt we've got room for much of either just yet. Let's head into town and see if we can't get this wagon issue figured out, first."

Ingret frowned upon hearing the information, for a variety of reasons. It seemed as though this Raquel person was more of a coward than an actual leader. According to Chelsea's info, Raquel was a non-combatant who gathered a strange group of people to retrieve her father from an equally strange and dangerous organization. And that Raquel had the mystical artifact known as the Fire Emblem, or rather a piece of it. However with the info that Shadrak gave the knight just now, Raquel seemed like a hands-off type of person; she wanted to achieve her goals, but would prefer not to get too deeply involved or not get her hands dirty. Ingret could somewhat sympathize with the girl's desire to not fight, but if she had the means then she should use them.

The attack on Europa concerned Ingret, he had not heard of this. "A demon attack in Europa? What do you mean by that?"

Valter looked back over his shoulder as he left the bank. His errand had gone off without a hitch, but the horseman was still on edge. He had looked at the wanted posters as he entered town and was pretty sure word from Europa of his actions hadn’t reached Ursaea yet. Even so, however, he couldn’t help but worry. Once news did reach the city if his bank visit became known the military would know which direction they had headed…

Well, there was no point worrying about it now that he was carrying a few hundred gold under his borrowed cloak. Pulling the hood a bit further down over his face, Valter began to trek back through the city towards the group’s makeshift campsite.

---

Kamal was getting used to this, and it was starting to worry him. He was currently standing outside Ursaea’s prison with Gregory and Charles’s horses and cart. His bosses were currently inside handing over Lagar, discussing the bounty, and deciding what to do with the wagon they’d retrieved from the scene. Meanwhile Kamal was watching their things, impatiently crossing his arms, and twitching with anticipation for when this whole job was over. He was itching for a fight and planned to find one in one of the shadier bars in town, despite such a situation being the reason he ended up with these two numbskulls in the first place.

---

“Oh,” Elliot said in response to Elrey’s reason for getting lost. Poor doggie…

The avian soon had a thoughtful look on his face, though. From all he’d heard the last few days, it sounded like excitement followed this group everywhere they went. Was that because they were exciting, because they were drawn to excitement, or because it was drawn to them? “If we’re gonna have a lot of stories, maybe we should write a book or something…”

Meanwhile Elrey rolled over, stretching his head closer to Jam.

News of the Incursion

"You haven't heard about the demon attack ..." Shadrak trailed off, deciding to elaborate a bit more on that. It certainly beat explaining the somewhat botched attempt to rescue Joanna from the wrathites at any rate. "The leader of the fallen brought a strike force to Europa. He was trying to kill his brother and rival Steinn and we got caught up in the middle of it, along with a lot of innocent people. It was a massacre, but we survived, at least. Now we're heading to Kigen to make sure the same thing doesn't happen there. Two other groups are dealing with similar issues and planning to go somewhere in Ursium and Neviskotia respectively. Raquel's with the latter group. Suffice to say we're trying to stop a big invasion before it begins but we're off to a slow start."