Return of the Emblem Chapter Thirteen: Flight

Phoenix

Norbert just shrugged at Eva's reply. It seemed like she just didn't think things through very well. He didn't feel any compulsion to continue the conversation, though, so he just quietly continued to watch Ursaea. This only lasted a few moments, though, before that short lady began talking to him and Eva.

At first, he only shifted his gaze to her, but by the end of what she was saying, he'd grown a puzzled look to his face. "What time do you mean?" It'd been a while since their last big argument. "Do you mean with the Avians?"

Edited by Mercakete

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yeah, I mean, that's the only time I've really seen you two talk, and you really dug into each other. At least, more than what I usually see. I figured you probably just didn't like one another or something." Angelica replied, resting her hands behind her head.

"I was being an idiot," Eva grumbled out at Angelica's questioning, continuing to swing hard into the three. She felt she might topple it at this rate, so she tried to lighten up. She didn't want to make a scene on top of the group's situation, after all. Hitting the tree might not alert the guards, but having it come down, well...

Norbert looked back towards Ursaea for a beat before he returned his gaze to the short woman. "I guess we didn't, but it wasn't her I was angry at." His eyes shifted in some surprise to Eva. "Huh. Yeah, you were. ... Well, that's one good thing, I guess. It's not like you're letting pride get in the way of making things better."

Norbert paused again, then added, "You might want to learn to think things through a little more. I think that's what keeps getting you into trouble. You're not being a jerk on purpose -- you're just dumb, and 'dumb' can be fixed...I think." Norbert glared at the ground at that, trying to make sure he wasn't just making things up as he went. "Hmm... I don't know. Maybe 'dumb' can't be fixed in some cases. This might just be as smart as I ever get, for example, besides learning more as I go. But learning more's different from thinking things through, you know?"

Ah, that old enemy of his: wording. Again, not being able to phrase things the way he wanted to was ticking him off. He was being quiet about his frustration, at least.

With conversation within the wagon dying down, Jam excused herself and stepped outside. It was time for a bit of swordplay practice. Who knew if the group was truly in the clear, especially when they were still within Ursium borders. Alphonse wouldn't forgive her if she got rusty, so the dancer picked an imaginary opponent and started swinging.

Jam swiped in every direction, as if trying to catch a particularly squirrelly opponent. On occasion, she blocked an imagined hit and spun to the foe's back. Her spin simultaneously delivered a horizontal slash to his back. wounding her invisible rival. It was a great way to burn off some energy while the others were off and about.

Merz

Somehow, Ingret wound up carrying the supplies Greta had gotten for Angelica back to the camp. It made sense, for them to just get the stuff back to its owner since they were heading that way, but Shadrak was annoyed that his supposed employee was already seen as an extra hand to take advantage of on a whim. He wasn't going to make a fuss about it this time, but he was definitely going to say something the next time someone tried something like this.

Not much had changed since he'd last seen the camp. It was still a mostly humble ... or depressing sight, with people trying to find ways to kill time until the shopping was done and they could continue on south. He did notice that the tree was now thoroughly carved up. That was a bit of a surprise. He didn't greet anyone and instead made for the back of the wagon. Once he put the books he wouldn't be using at the moment on away atop a crate or something, he could focus on his research.

Amon avoided eye contact with Shadrak at all cost, wondering who the tall lilac haired man was. The last time he'd seen a hair color that rare, there were coffins raining down on them, so the man didn't bring back any pleasant memories ...

Pretty Please

Haythem frowned as Greta tried to negotiate with one of the guardsmen outside the compound. He figured coming around to a side entrance might not have been the best call since it implied that they weren't up to any good, but he watched as she pressed on.

"I'm just sayin'," Greta continued, "y'all're stretched pretty thin, right now. No shame in gettin' a little help. I saw the wanted signs back at the gate. Some nasty characters."

"L-look," the guard said, trying to find some words that wouldn't sound insulting, "you people look like you can handle yourselves, but there's no way a bunch of ... err- ... random ... people ... t-there's no way we can have you do anything for us without some kind of official warrant." Or Something. "Besides, we can't just give you one of our wagons. Why would you even think we'd do that?"

"Must be a new guy," Haythem reasoned quietly behind Greta.

"I've been here three months, sure, but I've never heard of anyone cutting deals like this," the guard argued. "Sure, we do hire mercs if the wanted sign rewards aren't encouraging any of the local hunters, but there's still ... paperwork involved. I really doubt the captain's going to just write off one of the wagons just for you doing us a favor."

"Can I talk to'em?" Greta asked, flashing a wide smile and tilting her head just enough to shake the guy up a little.

"Urgh ... yeah fine, whatever. Stay right here," he instructed them all, pointing at the ground, "I'll be back."

"I wonder who that is..." Norbert murmured to himself as he squinted down the road. There was someone carrying a big box, but whoever it was was with Shadrak. This was either very bad or not so bad. Shadrak seemed fine, though, so maybe this person was... He sighed. Merz, are they recruiting random people? This is as bad as when we were with Raquel if that's the case. The pegasus rider didn't bother going out to meet them while they were on the road. Rather, he waited until they were among them again to go up to the pair.

"Hey." It was more of a gruff attention-grabber than a greeting, and if you were going by his expression, it wouldn't be hard to draw the conclusion that he was either annoyed or really didn't care. "Shadrak, who's this guy?"

"Just dumb, huh?" Eva said, really not appreciating his choice of words, but figuring-- hoping --that it was just his poor way of wording things. From what she'd learned of him in this actually enlightening discussion, he was straightforward, not intending to be hurtful unless he really hated someone. And if he just thought she was dumb, then he thought just that. Or at least I hope that's all it is... Ugh. People are hard... "I'll try and fix my 'dumb', Norbert." She smiled at that a bit, wondering if it could be done.

And the tree had suffered enough, so with a wary glance at Angelica, Eva put her sword away, only to be greeted by the sound of a sword swinging through air. Seems Jam had decided that she wanted some training of her own. Well... "Hey, Jam," Eva said, strolling over with her hands behind her head in a fashion similar to someone else there. "Want a live target to take swings at? I don't mind being your partner for that. Just stand there and block. Might be better than hitting air. It doesn't give much resistance." Seems while she'd gone to ask this, Shadrak and someone else had come back, with little Tia in tow, carrying around a helmet. Well, new people were alright, she supposed.

----------

Helmets were heavy. Tia had learned this much, carrying the hunk of metal back to camp, gasping for breath a bit as they finally arrived. "H-Hey, mister. Can... You take your helmet back...?" she asked with a tiny groan, trying to keep hold of it. The camp was as boring as it had been before she left, so she was really glad she'd gone. And she got some training out of it! Even if it was sincerely hurting her arms.

A new guy had appeared coming towards the camp, but he was with Shadrak, so... it was probably okay. If not, he'd be dealt with promptly enough. More in tune with her current interests, Eva was trying to slip away, again, under the pretence of being a whacking tool for Jamilla.

"Oh Eva, before you go... think I could talk to you, for a minute?" Angelica noted towards the rider, with a smile.

"H-Huh?" Oh, dear... "What... What is it, Angelica?" she asked, turning, once again warily, towards the adept. She was hoping to avoid getting questioned on things, but that seemed inevitable, at this point.

Edited by I have opinions

Closing the distance towards Eva, Angelica practically slumped against the taller woman, lazily wrapping her arm around the rider's midsection, and pulling her lips up to Eva's ear.

"So, the thing is... when you woke up from that nap. I've never seen you act that way, before. Mind explaining, for me?"

Eva blushed and grumbled in quick succession. She'd been expecting that. "A nightmare. I'll explain later, so just... Don't be so clingy, geez." She pushed Angelica off of her and huffed, turning back towards Jam to see if the woman wanted a hitting post. She wouldn't mind going on the defensive again, for a bit. It was good practice, after hitting the tree.

Somehow or another Ingret did have to play as the resident pack mule, but the lilac haired knight did not mind this job. It gave him something to focus on whilst protecting Shadrak and if he did this he could potentially score some goodwill with the rest of the team. He had heard that he just needed to drop these purchases for a woman named Angelica... "odd name."- was the ex-mercenary's thought as he arrived at camp. He got some looks a tan blonde kid, but he paid him no heed.

And then a walking talking eggplant, a purple haired man with a gruff demeanor awaited the duo of knight and creepy researcher, as he asked for Ingret's name. At the same time, the young girl, who's name he learned was Tia groaned, and Ingret decided that she had done her job well. Crouching down, the knight gently placed both the large box and his overstuffed backpack, and, while crouching down, smiled softly at the girl. "Excellent work Miss Tia, I'm impressed you managed to hold out this long."- he then took the helmet away from the girl and casually held it one hand like it was nothing.

Turning to the eggplant, he gave the man a curt nod before the knight launched into explanation. "Greetings, my name is Ingret. I have joined your group in order to assist Shadrak in his endeavors. Think of me as a bodyguard of sorts; I was sent here by one of his friends. And you are?"- the man told the pegasus rider with a stoic tone present in his voice.

Edited by GoD

Norbert regarded the unusual man for a moment, then he asked Shadrak, "You trust this guy?" The word of a stranger didn't mean a whole lot to him at the moment. For all he knew, it wasn't any friend who had sent him to travel with them.

Campsite

"Yes, I trust him," Shadrak replied with a jaded look on his face. "I'm more worried about the army of fallen and demons we're probably going to get stuck fighting than someone Chelsea sent to watch my back." He had to place the books in the wagon before trying to climb up, or risk winding up on his rear all too quickly, but once they were inside, he began to climb up. He could see Fizza sitting atop some crates near the front end of the wagon, and not far from her, toward the right side and sitting on the wagon floor, was Joanna. She had the box in her lap and seemed like she'd just snapped out of a trance. When she looked at him, he avoided eye contact and hopped up into the wagon. Now he just had to figure out where to put the books he would get to later ...

Straight into the wagon? Maybe the subject wouldn't come up at all, Amon thought. He certainly hoped that was the case. Fizza could still out him if she felt like it, but hopefully she would find something more entertaining than that.

Norbert shrugged at Shadrak's reply. It filled in some details that explained the situation a bit better. So, that weird girl hired him, huh? What happened to her anyway? Ah well. Whatever. Norbert turned his attention back to the newcomer. "Well, welcome, I guess. Name's Norbert."

Edited by Mercakete

"So this is how I will be treated?"- the knight thought, as it seemed as though the purple people eater gruff man did not truly believe him. While he could not fault him for doing so, after all lilac hair was unusual to find on a man of his size, it still slightly miffed the old man, though he did not show it on his face. His face remained stoic, almost as if it was incapable of producing that smile he gave to the young girl from before. The fact that Shadrak did somewhat trust him made the knight slightly pleased, but again his face remained impassive.

The lilac haired man gave a curt nod to the purple-haired man before replying in kind. "Thank you Norbert, it's a pleasure to meet you. I must ask though, do you know of a woman named Angelica? I was told to bring this box"- the man pointed to the large box he was carrying earlier " to her."

"Hmm..." Norbert shifted his gaze around the part of the group who were within sight. He'd heard that name tossed around before, but had he ever actually exchanged names with her? Jamilla, Tia, Eva... He pointed out the short girl who dressed herself like a doll sometimes. "That could be her. I think she wanted people to go buy her some things in town, actually, so that probably is her."

"I see. Thank you very much."- the knight gave another curt nod at the purple-haired fellow. Ingret then placed the helmet that he had been carrying into his backpack, afterwards adjusting it on his back once more. Next, he picked up the large box with both of his hands, and made his way to the doll like girl.

As he was reaching the blonde, the knight spoke to get her attention. "Excuse me Miss. Are you perhaps Angelica?"- the man inquired.

Liam watched Shadrak and the newcomer return with moderate interest. He thought it was wise of Norbert to distrust strangers coming into their group, although he noted that Norbert was the one chastising Liam for his suspicion earlier.

Nadya watched curiously as Ingret handed the box to Angelica. Hope Greta spent her time gettin' somethin' important, shoppin' is risky for us right now, she thought to herself.

And the tree had suffered enough, so with a wary glance at Angelica, Eva put her sword away, only to be greeted by the sound of a sword swinging through air. Seems Jam had decided that she wanted some training of her own. Well... "Hey, Jam," Eva said, strolling over with her hands behind her head in a fashion similar to someone else there. "Want a live target to take swings at? I don't mind being your partner for that. Just stand there and block. Might be better than hitting air. It doesn't give much resistance." Seems while she'd gone to ask this, Shadrak and someone else had come back, with little Tia in tow, carrying around a helmet. Well, new people were alright, she supposed.

Jam had taken a break from practice when Eva asked to practice with her. It would have certainly been more fun than Imaginary Thug (he always lost). Before she could reply, Angelica jumped in to ask something of Eva. Jam took this moment to look around at the new scenery. Shadrak and Tia had returned, along with a new fellow. Yet where was Greta? Perhaps she was still gathering inventory. The dancer regretted not going to help out, but with her involvement in the last battle, she likely would have caused more harm than good.

After Eva playfully pushed Angelica away, Jam rejoined to accept the challenge.

"You're on," she said, spinning her one-handed sword around, waiting for Eva to ready herself.

"So, what was that about?" Jam asked of Eva's exchange with her counterpart. Just because they were fighting didn't mean they couldn't chat at the same time.

Eva let out a sigh and pulled her sword off her back, taking up a defense stance with the blade out horizontal in front of her. "I had a stupid dream. And I'd rather not tell Angelica about it... For obvious reasons." She felt herself turning red and shook her head. "Come on, let's just get this started so I can keep my mind off of it. So, uh... You're trying to hit the sword, but feel free to get creative. This is as much for you as it is me, so I need to keep focused and keep my guard up. Don't worry if you hit me. I don't think you've got the strength, whether your sword's good or not, to go through my armor." She smirked, and nodded. "Ready when you are."

----------

Tia let out a sigh of relief as the heavy helmet was taken off her hands, smiling and bowing slightly towards Ingret. "You're welcome~ And thanks!" With her load lifted, she decided to bug Shadrak, to see if he had anything she could use to lift as a weight. He seemed to be dealing with something in the wagon, so she hopped on over and came up behind him. "Shadrak," she started, "are any of those books really heavy?" Books could be a good enough replacement, for now. At least until Lumi could help her find something real to use.

Campsite

Shadrak really didn't want Tia running around with these books. She'd gotten her own set ruined when she first joined the group up with Raquel and that was the last thing he needed. "Try one of the crates. They're all reasonably heavy but I'm sure there's one light enough for you to use to do your strength training."

And then just like that, Shadrak looked up to see that Fizza had one of the books in her hand. He didn't see or hear her get off the crates, snatch a book, and then go right back up there. If he didn't know better, he'd have just assumed she didn't move at all and had simply produced a similar looking book, but lo and behold, when he saw the stack of books in front of him, there were only two left, not including the one in his hand. "What?"

"What kinds of myths have caught the dark mage's eye ...?" she said, opening up the book and browsing through chapters at random.

"That's research material for the mission," Shadrak hissed, "a normal fighter like you has no use for it!"

"OOoo divine servants, this could be relevant~" With that, Fizza went about actually reading, starting at the beginning of the section she was currently on.

Shadrak hung his head while Joanna pondered this 'research for the mission' line she'd heard. Shadrak doubted he could wrestle the book away from Fizza without losing and looking stupid for the attempt, so he hoped she would return it once she was finished amusing herself.