About the fantasy "boob plate"

ClassyWolf

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man's ass isn't exposed. The woman's is.

I love that excuse. Whenever there's an argument on the internet, people just throw out terms like social justice warrior and armchair warrior instead of actually acknowledging the faults.

I have a book right here called the Book of Chivalry by Geoffroi de Charny as well as a historic magazine about armor and wars and not once I have brought it up before because it has not been relevant, but now that you had to mention armchair plate tactician, evidently I had to. And that's all I am going to say about that. If most games and movies were like in real life, most people would not play them and this makes that argumentation point completely pointless.

Do you perhaps watch Sci-fi for the realism?

And while on the topic, some of my favorite fantasy movies involve Conan the Barbarian from 1982, Dragonheart and .. I can't remember the third movie.

I guess the only thing I can ask is, how would you like it if every piece of armor you got looked sweet and awesome on everyone else except your character where it turned into a barely covering thong - And you're a big burly male barbarian character? Because that's the reality of the fantasy boob plate ( and my personal hatred for how Dark Mage & Sorcerer are dressed in Awakening ) and that is why people don't like it. It has nothing to do with being a so-called armchair warrior. It has to do with people don't want their characters to look like that.

It has everything to do with that. All the bitching heard, in this topic even, has to do with stupid complaints about tactical effectiveness. No shit it wouldn't be tactically effective. Neither would any of the millions of other things seen in fantasy. If you don't like it because it looks stupid, then just say you don't like it because it looks stupid. Don't dress it up and pretend that it's just because it's somehow unhelpful on a realistic battlefield.

And for the record, the big burly male barbarian characters tend to wear little else than thongs. How many people do you see bitching about how revealing Conan's clothing is?

And this comes back in "I don't think it's a big deal" which can be interpreted as "I don't play those characters so it doesn't matter to me. It's fine."

You're right, it could somehow in someone's warped mind be completely rephrased and incorrectly translated to thinking that because I don't think it's a big deal, I just don't care about the characters.

I don't think it's a big deal for the same reason I don't think it's a big deal that mages tend to wear ridiculous-looking robes instead of armor. It's a fantasy convention. It's not something to go nuts over.

It has everything to do with that. All the bitching heard, in this topic even, has to do with stupid complaints about tactical effectiveness. No shit it wouldn't be tactically effective. Neither would any of the millions of other things seen in fantasy. If you don't like it because it looks stupid, then just say you don't like it because it looks stupid. Don't dress it up and pretend that it's just because it's somehow unhelpful on a realistic battlefield.

And for the record, the big burly male barbarian characters tend to wear little else than thongs. How many people do you see bitching about how revealing Conan's clothing is?

You're right, it could somehow in someone's warped mind be completely rephrased and incorrectly translated to thinking that because I don't think it's a big deal, I just don't care about the characters.

I don't think it's a big deal for the same reason I don't think it's a big deal that mages tend to wear ridiculous-looking robes instead of armor. It's a fantasy convention. It's not something to go nuts over.

We will never see eye to an eye with this.

You like it, I think it's a piece of shit, it's better off if we just disagree on it.

And most Barbarians don't wear thongs.

Edited by Zeithri

We will never see eye to an eye with this.

You like it, I think it's a piece of shit, it's better off if we just disagree on it.

And most Barbarians don't wear thongs.

Most barbarians shown in any setting wear, like, the fur equivalent of a thong.

Edit: Also, I refuse to disagree, this must continue! D:<

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I must protest that this is technically incorrect

For me the problem isin't the lack of realism (after all, suspension of disbelief is the price of admission to a work of fantasy). For me the problem is sexism and the objectification of women. Realism is, after all, not an issue when the character conserned is a loli dragon, BUt that is not why her wearing only sexy underwear is an issue.

(the worst kind of incorrect)

The Polish hussars had wings on their armor, didn't they? In real life. The wings are an easy target to knock them down, and makes them stand out. So I say it's excusable to have restrictive female armor in a fantasy setting. Not that I like it, but it's excusable.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

• 2 weeks later...