You Killed My Cat! No Video Games For You For a Week!

Steven Tyler

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/09/06/boy...s-violent-games

Boys Nuke Cat, Court Bans Violent Games

September 6, 2008

The Edmonton Journal reports that a pair of Canadian teenagers have been barred from playing violent video games after they pleaded guilty to killing a family cat by placing it in a microwave.

The boys, now 16, were placed on probation for one year, must perform 100 hours of community service, will see a therapist, can't stay out later than 9 p.m. and must pay $250 in restitution. The grisly killing of the elderly cat named Princess followed a Christmas holiday break-in and vandalism rampage at a local home.

GP: Clearly, these are troubled kids. But what did video games have to do with it? Why the game ban? That's not so clear:

But are video games (like always) are linked to the crime? Hmm . . .

According to court ordered psychological asessments, video games were not found to have directly encouraged the boys' actions. But barring their access to such games was nonetheless a recommendation put forward in the assessments. It was also suggested that the teens' cellphone access be limited to work and calls to family. But youth court Judge Shauna Miller said that condition would have served no purpose.

Sometimes, I have to laugh at the Canadian court systems but that's for another topic.

So two teenagers basically torture and burn a cat alive inside a mircowave, and yet, only get a year probation, banned from play video games (which has no link to the murder) and 100 hours of community service? And the courts has no idea why they should banned them from playing video games.

Way to go, Canadian Court Systems! A slap on a wrist for two obviously mentally distrubed teens who've killed a defenseless animal and banning them from playing video games despite there was no link to their actions!

Edited by Snow_Storm

Cat part pissed me off.

Lack of video games pissed me off more.

Way to go Canada, good job in fucking up AGAIN. Soon enough you'll be pulling Bush-like stuff straight outta your ass.

They got grounded for killing a cat?

WTF?

Seems like it! I am not even trippin' off the fact the courts are trying to say video games was an influence but I'm more upset that the kids got a light sentence for killing an animal. I'm not all for animal rights for domestic animals but something like this is just mind blogging. How can a human do this to something that couldn't defend itself?

Seems like it! I am not even trippin' off the fact the courts are trying to say video games was an influence but I'm more upset that the kids got a light sentence for killing an animal. I'm not all for animal rights for domestic animals but something like this is just mind blogging. How can a human do this to something that couldn't defend itself?

Because they are sick and twisted people who need to be locked away from society

You know, it's a hard issue to take a side on. I mean, I personally would sentence the bastards to death for killing a cat. But the issue is video games.

I'm not sure if they are to blame. I mean, it's obvious that there are certain games kids shouldn't be playing. So the parents should be more observant then that. And I think that kids over 16 are probably smart enough to know that you aren't supposed to put cats in microwaves, or beat a man to death with an ironing board. And if they aren't, then viedeo games probably aren't the sole reason that they're killing things.

People need to stop blaming scapegoats like video games and take personal responsibility.

Even though you're joking, that's still a bit disturbing.

Um I'm actually not. I don't find this stuff disturbing. I once saw this picture of a before and after some dude high on PCP touched the big thing on those telephone polls that store electrcity. BEST THING EVER

Um I'm actually not. I don't find this stuff disturbing. I once saw this picture of a before and after some dude high on PCP touched the big thing on those telephone polls that store electrcity. BEST THING EVER

I take back what I said.

You're one deranged child, Nei. REALLY deranged.

I can understand how video games are linked to violence and crime, with the Grand Theft Auto series being so popular, but I doubt there are any games about putting cats in microwaves. The punishment was very light, killing any living creature for fun is not a good thing. Sure, insects are a different story, since people accidently kill them every day, but still. I find it sad when people find that stuff like the cat thing funny. The sad thing is, it seems many people nowadays are like this.