What is your favorite/least favorite class costume design?

I don't think anyone is going to dispute that the GBA games had the best sprites/models and also probably the best character design.

Sorry, I highly disagree. Imo, RD had the best designs in the series by far. The GBA styles are okay though.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favourite: Tactician + Grandmaster. Not only are the coats badass, but the sword animations (for both genders) are really cool.

Least favourite: Mustafa. They go to all this trouble creating the image for him for use in the dialogue, but then don't give his battle model any hint of a beard, and he still keeps the stupid skull that Berserkers wear.

Actually I really dislike the Berserker design. And how all the named boss Generals have covered faces instead of IS bothering to make faces on the sprites.

Sorry, I highly disagree. Imo, RD had the best designs in the series by far. The GBA styles are okay though.

The kicker here is that the quality of the visuals in a game that was made in 2003 hold up enough to where they are arguably still the best in the series. Just let that sink in.

The kicker here is that the quality of the visuals in a game that was made in 2003 hold up enough to where they are arguably still the best in the series. Just let that sink in.

Um, we're talking about designs, not game graphics. And even then, I still disagree. I prefer PoR's and RD's visuals over that of the GBA games, even if PoR's aren't the best on the GC.

Sincerely, artwork and design wise, RD is the best. Kita Senri is a beast, she managed to do such gorgeous armor, hair, distinct facial features, clothing and coloring. Seeing her artwork inspires me and makes me want to draw better. No wonder why she was chosen to draw DLC Marth!

Anyway...

I think Awakening has the worst designs in the series.

Not only it discards the general ahestetics of Fire Emblem and ignores the distinct looks set through the years, but it also created something really ugly, over detailed (Assassins don't need all those daggers), confused, unoriginal (oh wow swordmasters are samurai who could've ever thought such imagination wow) and in the case of female classes, overly fanservice; it's hard for me to find my favorite designs, but I'll try:

• Mercenary (male): it looks very nice. The long boots are pretty, the shield is nice, and there's nothing too confusing.
  • Dark Mages: probably the only fanservice design that has gender equality, and it looks very nice too, imo, especially the male one. It has a certain ancient egyptian flare that I enjoy, the capes are cool, and the nudity is justified by the desert's heat. The Warlocks just look stupid though. But, even though I like it, I wouldn't put it in Fire Emblem, it doesn't really fit.
  • Troubador/Valkyrie: it's very pretty, I like the cravat and the puffy pants, and I'm glad to see someone is wearing pants when riding a horse. Maribelle bias too.
  • War Cleric/Monk: this is a detailed design I like. It looks cool and chaste. In fact, I use this class because, other than it being novelty, it looks extremely good in my eyes.
  • Grandmaster (male): not bad at all, the jacket is nice and the armor is really classy. I'd like to see more mages with armor in future games.
  • Pegasus Knight: I think it's cute. I especially like the standard one and Cynthia's. Cynthia has some really cool looking armor.
  • Olivia: I like her dancer attire, it reminds me of the ones in Genealogy, but with more details. I dislike the thigh high stockings mixed with pants though.

Aaand... that's it, there's nothing more I can think of.

Dark Mage outfits are actually completely unsuited for desert environments. The last thing you want to wear in a desert is a skin tight outfit. Loose but heavy clothing is best, I believe.

Well, it's skin tight, but it's like... a net?? Anyway, I'm not preaching that it's practical or whatsoever, just that it makes a bit more sense for them to be that way. I just guessed they covered themselves with the cape, in the desert's heat.

Sincerely, artwork and design wise, RD is the best. Kita Senri is a beast, she managed to do such gorgeous armor, hair, distinct facial features, clothing and coloring. Seeing her artwork inspires me and makes me want to draw better. No wonder why she was chosen to draw DLC Marth!

I know, right? RD's art is what the character art I do for my fic is based off of. She totally inspired me too! She should've drawn DLC Ike. >.>

Well, it's skin tight, but it's like... a net?? Anyway, I'm not preaching that it's practical or whatsoever, just that it makes a bit more sense for them to be that way. I just guessed they covered themselves with the cape, in the desert's heat.

So first off black absorbs sunlight/heat while white reflects it... Second, if your clothing is going to get hot, you want minimal skin contact. Third, a see-through net is going to result in horrible sunburn. If you want to see a character who actually is dressed for a desert, look at Libra.

Sorcerer is a god-awful design for both genders. I tend to just let Tharja use it and that's it most of the time.

I quite like the costume for Dark Knight though. As well as the Swordmasters, Bow Knights. And Tactician/Grandmasters of course hehe. ^_^

EDIT:

I haven't played the DLC yet, but agree that the DLC art for Ike looks bad! :S

Edited by Red Falcon

I don't think Sully's or Kjelle's designs suit the characters outside of their hairstyle for starters

perhaps you're thinking of their in-portrait postures, most of the outfits don't really do much for the personality considering they're mostly glorified class outfits anyway, but poses go a long way in showcasing personality. You can't quite do that with the mugshots in GBA due to space limitations unfortunately and it's a lot harder to convey personality with just a bust shot than having the full use of the upper body and arms to further convey body language.

The post was replying to was talking about the character designs, which of course includes their in game portraits. So I was thinking of that because I said character designs. I think of a sprite or model as being a limited presentation of what the artist had in mind. Even with that in mind, I disagree that Sully's design doesnt suit the character. It perfectly reflects her tomboy nature. I agree about Kjelle, but I think she has the poorest design in the game.

I would disagree with the GBA being that limited. I think part of good character design is working within the system you have. Besides, the GBA is much more advanced and stored more space than the SNES, which had no problem with cool looking mugshots. Unfortunately, what they did with the GBA series is that they reused a particular shape and style for the portraits. Which to me became very apparent with its reuse by the third iteration. For example, Eirika in game portrait does not match up with the fierceness and character design in her character design. It all comes down to the eyes, which was the same type of eyes that many females had in the in game portraits.

Anyway...

I think Awakening has the worst designs in the series.

Not only it discards the general ahestetics of Fire Emblem and ignores the distinct looks set through the years, but it also created something really ugly, over detailed (Assassins don't need all those daggers), confused, unoriginal (oh wow swordmasters are samurai who could've ever thought such imagination wow) and in the case of female classes, overly fanservice; it's hard for me to find my favorite designs, but I'll try:

I think discarding the aesthetics of Fire Emblem was necessary to create a clean break for the series. This allowed for a shift in perception of what the series was, changing the momentum of the series. We can disagree about the quality of the art, but the similar aesthetic made the series less memorable. Just look at how the Final Fantasy series has evolved in its aesthetics. Really, FE had the same aesthetic since the Super Famicom era.

I think discarding the aesthetics of Fire Emblem was necessary to create a clean break for the series. This allowed for a shift in perception of what the series was, changing the momentum of the series. We can disagree about the quality of the art, but the similar aesthetic made the series less memorable. Just look at how the Final Fantasy series has evolved in its aesthetics. Really, FE had the same aesthetic since the Super Famicom era.

I think the similar aesthetics made the series more recognizable and unique, that look that makes you think "Ah! That's def Fire Emblem!". But yeah, I guess they could've changed it a bit, but still, they could've tried make it look like FE, or at least have some sort of throwback to it. Not only the new style is generic, it's also ugly: I've never seen such horrible armor design and such pointless fanservice; not to mention it doesn't remind me of FE at all. Also, I guess I would've been more okay with a new style if it looked good while bringing some fresh air.

Also I'm not sure if newcomers will be interested in the older games with such a style clash :( I'm always afraid they might ditch them for not having a style as "cool" as Awakening(especially the older titles).

So first off black absorbs sunlight/heat while white reflects it... Second, if your clothing is going to get hot, you want minimal skin contact. Third, a see-through net is going to result in horrible sunburn. If you want to see a character who actually is dressed for a desert, look at Libra.

I guess my assumption was stupid then lol.

Thinking about this makes me also think that most Plegians have a pure white skin, when that doesn't make much sense for living a desert ridden nation.

In addition to what was already said, I would like to mention that metallic thong which is probably going to burn certain sensitive body parts after a while. And while I don't know exactly what's going to happen, I am convinced that hilarity would ensue if one tries to walk through sand with those high heels that the female version is using.

It's like they were deliberately trying to design an outfit that feels as out of place as possible in the desert.

Edited by BrightBow

I do not dispute the combat being more memorable in Awakening as opposed to the GBA games, I think the addition of voices and the victory stances etc. were a brilliant addition. I also agree that the combat animations were the only place (besides support conversations ) where characters could show off their personalities. However, whether or not the visuals are better in a game from 2013 and a game made ten years ago is a matter for debate, why? Any game designer who knowingly puts aside combat aesthetic (in a turn based game of all things, where each action is already practically preset.) to make an artistic statement has their head shoved so far up their own ass that they are in danger of choking on their own neck. We have seen the growth in the combat system with the edition of voices, the pair up system, why not visually too? Don't misunderstand, I love awakening. I have put 680 hours into it at this point, but when you love something you want it to do better and the visuals have stagnated, or worse, decayed, in quality over the last ten years.

Favorites: Trickster, Great Lord (my two favorite lord designs in the series), Bow Knight, Sorcerer, Dark Knight (the collar makes it)

Least Favorites: Falcon Knight (just looks goofy); Great Knight, General, Conqueror (big messes of armor); Cavalier, Warrior

Sully is a knight on a horse serious about her work. No knight on a horse serious about their work would go without pants while in battle. Maybe if a character is prone to futzing around and values style over practicality, not having the pants, though I don't think anyone should do, wouldn't be so out of character, but this is what Sully's serious about.

While the posturing is better the outfits themselves are a hit or miss. I do think that for the mugshots (not so much the OA) FE13 did a pretty good job of conveying character with posture and expression, but only a few of the outfits themselves I can really see as truly reflective of the character.

Just because some aspects of the portraits are done better doesn't mean that every aspect is. Clothing-wise most are very confined to the class designs (which are not even designed by Kozaki but whoever the art director is) and only a few outfits stand out as actually representative of the character other than a reflection of their starting class. Most of the personality displays in these portraits are done with the poses and expressions.

I work with gba mugs extensively and just yesterday i had to scrap a design because no matter how I try it would not fit into the stupid 96x80 hackbox. While the artists then could've done more with their mugs and gba mugs are by no means perfect even given the limitations, you still won't get the same amount of freedom you get with the 3ds space. I can't even get the stupid arm to do anything but stay down without either making the character stupid short or completely fucking the anatomy. It's not fun getting truly varied poses with what i had to work with.

Edited by Thor Odinson

It's not even about what you notice or not, but the fact that they exist is a problem. They're evident on the official art and maybe I just have overtrained eyes, but I notice details easily even on the model and it bothers the shit out of me.

Edited by Thor Odinson

honestly i like Tharja/Female Dark Mage's the best IF IT WAS FOR A DANCER

like i know it's pure fan service or whatever but it's actually cool so

I actually don't really like Olivia's outfit for some reason

oh and I guess tacticians are cool

the mage hats are dumb though

I think the similar aesthetics made the series more recognizable and unique, that look that makes you think "Ah! That's def Fire Emblem!". But yeah, I guess they could've changed it a bit, but still, they could've tried make it look like FE, or at least have some sort of throwback to it. Not only the new style is generic, it's also ugly: I've never seen such horrible armor design and such pointless fanservice; not to mention it doesn't remind me of FE at all. Also, I guess I would've been more okay with a new style if it looked good while bringing some fresh air.

Also I'm not sure if newcomers will be interested in the older games with such a style clash :( I'm always afraid they might ditch them for not having a style as "cool" as Awakening(especially the older titles).

My point is the shift had to be drastic. I think with the character designer and the overall look of the game, they wanted it be different because people who hadnt looked at the series will take a second look. I think the FE faithful will stay around as long as the gameplay is good.

I think you just have the look at the Zelda series if you are worried about newcomers being scared away from the styles clash. As long as the game play is solid, they will go back to the older games.

I do not dispute the combat being more memorable in Awakening as opposed to the GBA games, I think the addition of voices and the victory stances etc. were a brilliant addition. I also agree that the combat animations were the only place (besides support conversations ) where characters could show off their personalities. However, whether or not the visuals are better in a game from 2013 and a game made ten years ago is a matter for debate, why? Any game designer who knowingly puts aside combat aesthetic (in a turn based game of all things, where each action is already practically preset.) to make an artistic statement has their head shoved so far up their own ass that they are in danger of choking on their own neck. We have seen the growth in the combat system with the edition of voices, the pair up system, why not visually too? Don't misunderstand, I love awakening. I have put 680 hours into it at this point, but when you love something you want it to do better and the visuals have stagnated, or worse, decayed, in quality over the last ten years.

I wasnt referring to animations with the aesthetic. I was referring to shift in character design between FE12 and FE13. FE1 through FE12 has a clear style that runs through the characters. If you want to get particular, the style really starts with FE3 due to the power of the Super Famicom allowing for complex designs. But there is a distinct old school anime feel, even up until Radiant Dawn. FE13 goes with a more modern, radical anime design. That's the easiest way I can put it.

To go back to the Final Fantasy comparsion: there is a clean break between FF6 and FF7's style. It's more pronounced because the setting is also different. The series moves from a medieval era to a more sci-fi focus. Beyond the transition to 3D, the series steps away from the fluid and concept art like character designs of Yoshitaku Amano to the more anime like and straightfoward designs of Tetsuya Nomura. The character designer concepts greatly influence the rest of those two games. The same is true for the shift to Yusuke Kozaki's design in Awakening.

I was never referring to combat. Or animations.

Edited by jaytalks

I wasnt referring to animations with the aesthetic. I was referring to shift in character design between FE12 and FE13. FE1 through FE12 has a clear style that runs through the characters. If you want to get particular, the style really starts with FE3 due to the power of the Super Famicom allowing for complex designs. But there is a distinct old school anime feel, even up until Radiant Dawn. FE13 goes with a more modern, radical anime design. That's the easiest way I can put it.

It had a little more to do with the FE team being able to afford a dedicated artist than the Super Famicom, iirc. FE1/2 mugs (and everything else) were drawn by programmers in their spare time.

Anyway, I prefer the old designs, especially FE3-5 style.

And if I may take one more shot at Dark Mage, forget the daytime- they'd freeze overnight in something so skimpy. And no, using their capes for warmth won't work.