• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am and will most likely always be of the opinion that metal, together with punk and rock, is the most mature genre lyrics-wise.

holy shit this is the most incorrect thing i've ever read, pertaining to music.

anyway, since i only like some 70s-80s metal and 2000s retro metal (basically rehash 70s), and i've tried to enjoy other forms of metal, i'll just post the #1 metal song of all time yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yR5XhCIeg

Edited by Phoenix Wright

my favorite video game song still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed9jkuczzRU

of course considering most of the links i've posted i really don't think much about lyrics if at all but...what genres would you say you might consider having the most mature lyrical content?

dizzee rascal is still my favourite doomgaze artist though

ha! the whole nu metal jazz-punk fusion scene is pretty amazing. music is going somewhere again.

my favorite video game song still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed9jkuczzRU

of course considering most of the links i've posted i really don't think much about lyrics if at all but...what genres would you say you might consider having the most mature lyrical content?

this is an extremely loaded question. most genres have a range of maturity in their lyrics. hell, i would go so far as to say most genres have a range in "maturity" in their musical compositions!

i'll answer your question this way: what (in my opinion) genre of music has made me think the most? the clear winner is folk music. in second is hip-hop.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Then which genres are better?

I'll admit that metal and punk have ton of either satanistic and/or emo-like content, however, even those are still more acceptable than most pop and hip hop music. Really good lyrics are always hard to find, but I'm more likely to find a song with proper lyrics in the genres I mentioned than in any other.

Take Sabaton, Eisregen, and Rise Against as an example.

Sabaton, while not exactly deep lyrics, always has a story to tell, and is historically well-informed. The best popular music I've heard was still talking about generic love story number x (although, admittedly, considering I don't expose myself to said genres a lot, I might miss an occasional gem).

Eisregen...well, I can't give you any proof, considering it is a german band, but it has a lot of social criticism in its songs, or at times talks about the cruelty of war.

And Rise Against, their lyrics talk about several subjects from the oil spill in Mexico to the consequence of nuclear radiation. Mass suicides, criticism towards America and well, social commentary in general.

I'm not claiming to be "right", as that is both dependant on tastes and being knowledgeable in all genres, which I am not. It is simply my impression from what I've been exposed to so far. Does that make more sense?

Also, some Sonata Arctica

ha! the whole nu metal jazz-punk fusion scene is pretty amazing. music is going somewhere again.

this is an extremely loaded question. most genres have a range of maturity in their lyrics. hell, i would go so far as to say most genres have a range in "maturity" in their musical compositions!

i'll answer your question this way: what (in my opinion) genre of music has made me think the most? the clear winner is folk music. in second is hip-hop.

Folk music? Huh, can't say I've heard any really good ones in that regard.

But as said, it ultimately depends on exposure and knowledge about different genres.

Have some Powerwolf guys

The lyrics are nothing special, rather even bad, but in this case I really like the music I guess

Edited by Mayora

music is music and any genre has a variety of 'meaning'. or just kick ass instrumentals.

I pretty much give anything a chance that isn't folk (sorry), death metal or mainstream rap, and that's generally because I don't like the musical aspects.

Edited by Tryhard

well, have you read the lyrics in operas and arias?

Not really, mainly because I'm not fond of that at all. However, I did listen to at least one or two, and I have to sa that I do prefer social commentary and/or war themes

^dubstep?

You can't really judge lyrical content by genre. It varies too widely from artist to artist and even between songs form the same artist. You can have your opinion on what is best, but there's no way to rank on the genre level.

You can't really judge lyrical content by genre. It varies too widely from artist to artist and even between songs form the same artist. You can have your opinion on what is best, but there's no way to rank on the genre level.

I never said my assesment was objective, mind you. IMO the best of metal surpasses the best of other genres, or rather the best of what I've heard from each one. That's all there is to it.

My Selene

I consider this one to be one of the better love songs, maybe also due to the mythological background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDXw4Mse-M

lol i'm posting so many links has anyone clicked any of them

music is music and any genre has a variety of 'meaning'. or just kick ass instrumentals.

I pretty much give anything a chance that isn't folk (sorry), death metal or mainstream rap, and that's generally because I don't like the musical aspects.

i agree except i think folk is tolerable and death metal i like if it's melodic

Then which genres are better?

this is completely dependent upon this listener. answering this question otherwise is worthless.

what genres do i find better? a lot, seeing as i don't listen to much metal but i listen to lots of other genres.

I'll admit that metal and punk have ton of either satanistic and/or emo-like content, however, even those are still more acceptable than most pop and hip hop music. Really good lyrics are always hard to find, but I'm more likely to find a song with proper lyrics in the genres I mentioned than in any other.

Take Sabaton, Eisregen, and Rise Against as an example.

Sabaton, while not exactly deep lyrics, always has a story to tell, and is historically well-informed. The best popular music I've heard was still talking about generic love story number x (although, admittedly, considering I don't expose myself to said genres a lot, I might miss an occasional gem).

Eisregen...well, I can't give you any proof, considering it is a german band, but it has a lot of social criticism in its songs, or at times talks about the cruelty of war.

And Rise Against, their lyrics talk about several subjects from the oil spill in Mexico to the consequence of nuclear radiation. Mass suicides, criticism towards America and well, social commentary in general.

I'm not claiming to be "right", as that is both dependant on tastes and being knowledgeable in all genres, which I am not. It is simply my impression from what I've been exposed to so far. Does that make more sense?

you take offense to metal being called music for children but happily shit on other well-respected genres. pompeii, a pop song by i don't care to remember, is about the volcanic disaster in pompeii. mathematics, a hip-hop song by mos def, is about the need to educate the public and an overall criticism of the status quo (especially in terms of wealth and who has it).

you find maturity everywhere. my best advice to you is to expand your musical horizons.

Folk music? Huh, can't say I've heard any really good ones in that regard.

But as said, it ultimately depends on exposure and knowledge about different genres.

Have some Powerwolf guys

The lyrics are teen empowerment, i.e. bad, but in this case I really like the music I guess

lol. bob dylan, phil ochs, woody guthrie, pete seeger, joan baez, simon and garfunkel. just to name a few oldies. nowadays you got fleet foxes, lord huron, iron & wine, the avett brothers, tallest man on earth, bird courage. there's literally an ocean of music in each genre waiting for to discover it. if you like it, great! if you don't, that's fine.

completely okay. folk was something i instantly loved. it's a hard genre to want to listen to.

no but really you're killing me on the inside.

edit: boney, video game metal is awful when not playing the game haha. at least to me. it's very hard to listen to.

also, to keep the metaaaaaaal going, some new shit

[spoiler=freya]

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I didn't use to like Country music until I listened to it for 8 hours straight during a road trip. There's some real deep, real human stuff in there, man. I still don't like it musically, but I appreciate what I've heard of it.

^dubstep?

I like pendulum, if it can be considered as such.

I mean, there are a lot of different sub-genres. Can I consider Rage Against the Machine as pure metal?

(Calm Like a Bomb is one of my favourite songs)

completely okay. folk was something i instantly loved. it's a hard genre to want to listen to.

yep

[spoiler=freya]

The Sword are pretty cool.

Edited by Tryhard

this is completely dependent upon this listener. answering this question otherwise is worthless.

what genres do i find better? a lot, seeing as i don't listen to much metal but i listen to lots of other genres.

you take offense to metal being called music for children but happily shit on other well-respected genres. pompeii, a pop song by i don't care to remember, is about the volcanic disaster in pompeii. mathematics, a hip-hop song by mos def, is about the need to educate the public and an overall criticism of the status quo (especially in terms of wealth and who has it).

you find maturity everywhere. my best advice to you is to expand your musical horizons.

lol. bob dylan, phil ochs, woody guthrie, pete seeger, joan baez, simon and garfunkel. just to name a few oldies. nowadays you got fleet foxes, lord huron, iron & wine, the avett brothers, tallest man on earth, bird courage. there's literally an ocean of music in each genre waiting for to discover it. if you like it, great! if you don't, that's fine.

edit: boney, video game metal is awful when not playing the game haha. at least to me. it's very hard to listen to.

I did say myself that it depends on the own taste and exposure to music.

I took offense to that because I myself am a fan of it, and don't share said view, hence I tried to defend it, whereas Hip Hop I'm no fan of myself. However, if what I said did annoy you, then I apologize.

I do like Pompeii, indeed, but problem is, it is overshadowed by a lot of junk I hear everyday. As for shitting on other genres, as I said, I'm not knowledgeable on every single one and can only base my assessments on it from what I've heard. I don't plan to downplay any eventual good songs, it is just that I don't know them. Most of what I hear in the hip hop and pop genres I hear in either the radio or in a disco and the like. And I don't know about you, but all I hear there is Rihanna and Justin Bieber or other similar singers.

What I said about finding more good metal songs than hip hop songs still holds true for me. I'll most likely prefer a random metal song on yt to a random hip hop/pop song, but again, that's just me.

Broadening my horizons eh?

I do listen to other genres as well, or rather than "genres", to other types of music. Vocaloid (only once in a while), touhou, gamin music, film music and the like. As for listening to Hip Hop or Pop, even if assuming I'd like the lyrics in most, I'm not really a fan of the melodies, so yeah....

I know two of the ones you mentioned, lol. By names at least, I might have heard some songs of them already. Once again, I don't plan on saying metal is objectively the best, solely that it is my prefered type of music. And it's not even sure if said taste will stay like this or change overtime :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDXw4Mse-M

lol i'm posting so many links has anyone clicked any of them

i agree except i think folk is tolerable and death metal i like if it's melodic

Hey! I've listened to all of them so far :P

BFMV

Edited by Mayora